Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Question, is a tie mandatory for job interviews? I greatly loathe ties, they make me feel as if I was choking. I would prefer to be more comfortable without the tie, I think I would interview better.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Question, is a tie mandatory for job interviews?

The only mandatory thing is honest confidence. A smile helps too.

Now, if it's an interview for a private banking advisor or a tie salesman, then a tie might be good idea. For a fitness coach or a gardner it's probably optional.

Basic rule: Dress like someone who has the job already.

And good luck!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I was in "Business Casual"... most likely a solid color polo or golf shirt, with khaki or black pants. The interview was by phone, and it was for a job in the same company. (I got the job, by the way.)

For a new employer, however, I'd definitely do the tie/oxford/suit jacket combo.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Question, is a tie mandatory for job interviews? I greatly loathe ties, they make me feel as if I was choking. I would prefer to be more comfortable without the tie, I think I would interview better.

When in doubt, yes.

I interviewed for a couple jobs my senior year of college and they told me that dress code for interviews was same as their employees - one was business casual. The other didn't seem to have a dress code, just don't show up naked. So I wore business casual to both. But the job I eventually got didn't specifically mention a dress code for the interview, so I wore a suit and tie, and yes, I hate those damn things too.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Interview? What's that? I landed my current job when my current boss asked for some help computer help (I was an Certified Apple Repair/not certified but damn talented PC tech at the time.) One of her workers (a buddy of mine) recommended me. Weekend help with computer issues became part time IT work became full time bean counting (I set up the company's POS and accounting system).

So no interview for me, just a good word from a friend.:cool:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I told the recruiter I would be coming to the interview from work, so I would not be dressed in a suit, but rather what I wore to work every day (so as not to rouse suspicion in my co-workers). I wore a black collarless shirt and black jeans.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
Suit and tie. Then wore them for the next five years, even though I was still tech based I was customer facing. Now just jeans and button up shirts. Different culture and role.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I wore this and black pants.

6b3a8968c9785fe54518931ea149396d.jpg

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
To get into the company that I work for, I wore a suit and tie almost 9 nears ago, since I thought that I look good and feel comfortable in a suit. It's amazing how a well-fitting, comfortable suit can add confidence. When sitting on an interview panel, I've interviewed applicants in various states of dress from polo with slacks all the way to suits.

For the current role at the same company that I am in for the last few months, I simply wore a company polo and slacks. I didn't feel a need to give away that I was interviewing for a job in a different department during normal work hours. This is typical for interviewing for a role in another department or for a promotion.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
There were multiple stages, to each I wore a smart shirt, suit pants and a tie. I wore a cashmere vest or fitted cardigan each time. Smart casual was the dress code, so full on suit wasn't necessary.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

It depends on the job you are interviewing for. Then, again, is it possible to wear the knot more comfortably tied?

I recall interviewing someone to work in our warehouse. He turned up in a Man Utd shirt and shell suit bottoms. Needless to say he didn't get the job.

I was hoping and waiting for someone to come up with a story like this.

The rough rule of thumb for interviewing is to dress a level or two more formally than what the job actually entails, or seems to entail. This will give the impression that you will treat them - and the post you are applying for - with respect, and that you view yourself with respect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.