Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
1)Make a uplifting playlist of ur songs in itunes
2)Buy a Shuffle and put songs on the Shuffle from the playlist
3)go for a run/to the gym with the Shuffle
4) Come back and enjoy the Mac :p
Seems to work for me, but seriously Music and exercise are great at changing your mood and a combination of both are great. I just wish my Shuffle was here :rolleyes:

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
poopyhead said:
exercise will also help you sleep

true true. i guess that's part of the cause of me being up so late.

Fredstar said:
1)Make a uplifting playlist of ur songs in itunes
2)Buy a Shuffle and put songs on the Shuffle from the playlist
3)go for a run/to the gym with the Shuffle
4) Come back and enjoy the Mac :p
Seems to work for me, but seriously Music and exercise are great at changing your mood and a combination of both are great. I just wish my Shuffle was here :rolleyes:

Yeah I want to get a shuffle, but I've got an old 20GB iPod, so I don't really have a convienient excuse. Maybe once my battery is completely useless, but for now I still get 5 hours out of it. And if you've got some suggestions for uplifting songs I'd be happy to hear them. right now i'm listening to some french rap.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
AmigoMac said:
:D

that's great!

it could happen that listening reminds you about her, I know that feeling ;), what about taking paper and pencil, you can draw anything and it will help to get out of bad feelings, you don't have to be a Picasso to start but it may help, read geek topics, visit some places like a tourist, take photos, select the best and photoshop them, I can't not say Goo luck because now it's not a matter of luck it's a matter of success and I wish it you.

That's good advice. And you're right, lots of songs do remind me of her. I was thinking of getting out my digital camera and taking more pictures, but haven't gotten around to it, as suburbia isn't very interesting to photograph. Unfortunately I'm not very good at drawing. Maybe I'll start writing... get my feelings out on paper.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
oaklandbum said:
alright. i'm off to bed. thanks for all the advice. if anybody wants to suggest anything i look forward to seeing it when i wake up. now i'll go to sleep listening to Tiziano Ferro.

You're welcome, sleep well, take a good rest and start writing what you feel, I do that as well, not as a blogger but just to relax myself when needed.

watch some of your favorite movies and take up a new hobby.

with regards to excercise dont overdo it!!! take it slowly if you hvent exercised in a while, aside from gym or jogging u might wanna try to get into team sports, if u have a soccer leauge or ultimate frisbee or maybe even try games of bball

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Hey, hey... I am the man of the answers here!

I just went trugh the same and it was even worse. Now I am going to give you the basic answers and then the explanations of everything about that kind of tehpression and actually depresion in general.

1. Keep your mind active and distracted, listen to other kind of music, put in a box all the memories you have from her. Do no seat there wondering, even is going to happen a lot just do not waiste your time in to something that is going to hurt you. It doesn't mean the relationship was bad or she is bad, no. Everything between the two of you was ok but you are now working on your health.

2. Eat proteins and things that give you energy. In the morning drink a coffee and something sweet and you will see how your mood is going to improve. During lunch eat pasta. Meat does not give you energy but you can eat it too as a side. At night you can eat meat and a salad and if possible drink a gatorade befor going to bed. Macdonaldas is very bad for the mood and do not ask me why, if you are going to a fast food place do not eat onions. Then drink milk, gatorade and juices but keep the sodas on a side beacsue they are not natural at all and cause anxiety.

3. Excersise, run and do some work out, it is going to be anoying because you are not used to but is a good way to start to manage the energy in your body. Do not spend time in the computer and if you feel a bit down rent a movie or watch tv for a moment. You can visit your friends and stuff but to add more new memories to your mind while pushing away the old ones.

The reason of these is that our mind work like this: When you have a memory and you remember it over and over again is like walking between bushes, after a while you are going to have a road because you have been there so many times. It is a natural process. What you have to do now is to start creating another paths related with new things, a hobbie or something. To date some one else work too.

Then, the brain need energy and that energy manage your moods. If you do not eat properly you will loose the energy necessary to be more active and creative. When you are not active you will fall (as a defolt) in your past memories making you feel depressed.

Now, depending how much effor you put in to yourself yo can recover in 2 weeks or 6 months.

On the other hand the isolation here in the UNITE STATES does not help at all. My biggest depresion was last year after moving to New York and I survived. I was bi-polar and was caused by a relationship I had, trust me I never though the human body could host such terrible feelings and sensations. That is why I am telling you all this because I managed to get out together with a friend who was a psicologist.

What you can do too is go to church and listen. There is something very importnat you have to know and is that somebody already died for you, for you to be free, and the father of that person gave you something incredible important that is "free will", that mena that you are completly free of choosing your way and the rest of the people are too. We are not chained to anything. So, do not waste your time suffering because no body cares and you are totally free and allowed to be happy.

As a las note: learn from your process for you to recover faster next time and teach some other people about it.

Good luck

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
This is what I do

Whenever I feel depressed, I go out and do some social work. Help people who can't take care of themselves like old people, or have no home, no education, or no perspective, or an incurable desease. When I'm feeling down it's usually about something minor (speaking about me, not you). And helping other people gives me a sharper view of what a REAL problem is, and how small my OWN problems are compared to that.

I'm not saying that your problems are small, but mine usually are, and that's how I deal with it.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
pianojoe said:
I'm not saying that your problems are small, but mine usually are, and that's how I deal with it.

I'm agree with you, but sometimes when I have been depress and I see people with mayor problems and feeling beter tha me I feel even worst about myself LOL.

But yes, I have this aunt who suffers from parkinsons and she can not talk any more, she have been in a weelchair for 6 years now and she is aware of everything but she can not comunicate any more... can you imagine the hell she is living inside her mind? she is a prisoner inside herself. That is something we can not even imagine.

Just to compare how meaning less our problems are after all. That is why we have to just enjoy life together our by ourselves, not to wait for some one elses eceptance, life is short and is better to have the best amount of memories in our minds, that is the reward but we have to do it ourselves.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
gym

I also recommend exercize. I never thought I'd get into it- being so lazy-ass. The best thing I've found is going to the local gym. There's no competition and you go your own pace. It doesn't matter how out of shape you are- you can just choose your own level.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's a proven fact that people who are active also are happier and have a brighter outlook on life. You ever notice the couch potatoes are the ones most depressed, and out of shape? Just the act of moving causes you to get good chemicals into your brain.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
To give an honest and sincere answer while trying to not cause anyone to think that I'm intending to start a debate or cause offense:

When I'm depressed it is a sure sign that I've been pushing God out of my life, and I need to be reconciled to Him. So, I spend some quality time in prayer and find myself renewed and refreshed, and ready for life again.

This is my experience. You don't have to like it or believe it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Even if you don't believe in God, being spiritual helps to defend against depression. But I do agree that being of faith and believing in a higher being, you are more likely to be happy and content.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
try something new.

something active.

try surfing...it's definitely a cleansing experience. and it can be as social as you want it to be...

surf by yourself or with a crowd, it's up to you.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
virividox said:
watch some of your favorite movies and take up a new hobby.

Most of my favorite movies are sad, though last night I tried to watch Back to the Future, but I just couldn't concentrate on it.

Anyone have a suggestion for a hobby that doesn't cost a lot of money? I used to bowl a lot but bowling gets rather expensive (even when you don't have to buy shoes). I guess digital photography is one, but any other suggestions?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
oaklandbum said:
my ex loves the beach... unfortunately there are too many memories there... besides so cal beaches and overweight people do no get along. :rolleyes:

Dude, I just explained everything in my previous post. Now, you ARE down but WAKE UP! because no body is going to do anything for you, your mental health is your own responsability.

Now, you have many answers here so muve your but and do what you ahve been told and quit wasting your time making up excuses.

Changes are not easy but they can be done and the faster the easiest.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
I can understand your unwillingness about the beach,There are other things to do,not hobbies but but what your interested in.Try and get in touch with nature its a beautiful world out there.I won't comment on mymemory's post as it will just get me banned.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Chaszmyr said:
Can't stress that enough. Unfortunately, being alone anywhere can be bad. Being around people as much as possible can be really helpful, even if you're not a people person and think you'd rather be at home.

I agree, just keep putting yourself in situations that involve a lot of people. This could be a church/synagogue group, or just a club or dance hall. Just go out there and meet people.

Good luck man!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I will give you one extremely critical tip. You can even find my old thread on here about two years ago when I broke up with my girlfriend.

You need to BREAK off all contact with her. No being friends, no trying to get her back, none of that s***. It is over and you will need to realize that. You will need to hang with the guys, grab some new habits, get away from Macrumors and do something productive.

I did many things and I am so better for it and the best feeling is knowing that she knows it too. She can see how I have changed cause of her leaving me and I'm a much more amazing guy now. Although some of my hobbies were expensive, they were still fun. I got my new car after my wreck and go offroading with the guys, I got into skydiving. I went into extensive travel mode (11 different countries in the past 9 months) and now I am doing scuba.

One thing you have to realize is that it will take time. I went through a couple of processes that took about 6 months. First I grieved and got myself back on my feet. Then I went through a phase where I tried to jeopardize everything she did as being bad and I am a better person. Then I said I was over her but I talked about her a lot. Eventually I never mentioned her and seeing her with other people never bothered me cause I was just neutral to her. We are both now freshman in college and I even have a class with her now. She smiles at me and I nod and never say a word to her, hoping one day she will get the point and get a clue. I see her at my fraternity parties and I am completely fine. Just realize it will take time, grab some new hobbies and prepare for your new life, a better life if you make it.

jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.