Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
what I backup

I use .Mac's backup to do its thing and I use it to backup to an external USB drive. Then I use SuperDuper to backup the entire Macintosh HD to an external FireWire drive; when SD is done it makes the drive bootable... cool. This backup runs nightly or morningly at 6am. All this fear might be a holdover from my PC/WinXP years of painful lessions... lol

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
For those who backup on a very regular basis (e.g. iGary & Laser47), do you keep your external HDD attached 24/7 or do you remove it when backup is complete?

I've heard that bad power surges can affect peripherals attached to the computer.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
EricNau said:
For those who backup on a very regular basis (e.g. iGary & Laser47), do you keep your external HDD attached 24/7 or do you remove it when backup is complete?

I've heard that bad power surges can affect peripherals attached to the computer.

I back up on a semi-regular basis (weekly through HD Clone) , and I keep my drive connected 24/7. But I use the drive for other stuff too.

zorg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2006
Everything I can, and I am running out of space I delete the things that I need the least, like movies or things I can re-download. The things I would never delete are personal documents I can't re-download. These include everything I type up for school and pictures.

senseibiz

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2002
Las Vegas
I myself use apple's Backup...

I have a firewire external hardrive and schedule it for every week.

I backup my entire Home folder...

zorg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2006
I would recommend anyone to back up atleast their document folder where they have personal files.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Eagon said:
I didn't think RAID0 was in any way useful for backups

If you copy things to it, then it works as a backup system. If you use it as your primary system then you are right-- it holds no benefit and can be detrimental since one drive goes and all the data goes. (Twice the normal failure rate)

Every time I feel bored I copy my stuff off to my server. A couple of gigs of data, but not all of it needs to go. If I had an external I'd probably set up a more complex system but for now this works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.