Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Netflix, airplay and mirroring my iPhone. I gave up my cable tv since I got my ATV.

----------

Nah, she's a dits. She's probably downloading music illegally right now using Limewire or Napster or some crap like that. :)

Limewire(malware) and napster. Are they still around. That was so the 90's lol. :D

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Airplay is one of those innovations that just makes you wish all technology was that easy to use. I absolutely love it and I love the app support for it these days.

Other than Airplay, the WatchESPN app is the best thing to happen to Apple TV. I only watch ESPN through the app now. Love being able to watch full replays of games as well.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Really? I find the Netflix app on Apple TV to be pretty lousy. Half the time things don't show up on "My List" or cover art won't load etc. Playback has always been fine. Regardless my friends and I generally use our PS3's for netflix then mess with it on Apple TV.

There's a huge thread about this on Apple discussion forum.

I haven't used Netflix on PS3 and you don't say that you used it on Roku.

I stated that I use both Roku and AppleTV and that Netflix is better on AppleTV, much better?

I have no idea what your experience is.... Just my own on the two devices I have.

Like I said, I haven't used Netflix on PS3. Does it have something similar to the left click/double down/ search where you can find movies with the same stars or directors? I haven't found it on the Roku. Curious if the PS3 has that same feature.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Streaming from iTunes. Used Handbrake to back up my DVD collection years ago and get rid of physical media all over my house. One less thing to pick up after my kids try to decide what to watch on movie nights.

OTA recording of network shows - using EyeTV and an attic mounted OTA antenna combined with some scripts and a couple of additional pieces of software we record, convert, tag and add artwork to TV shows then dump them into itunes. Another script sends me an email letting me know that a new show is available. Viewing those on Apple TV is wonderful vs. grabbing shows (often with commercials) from network websites.

Purchasing season passes. I've only purchased a few, but every time they've been a pleasure to have. Mad Men, Breaking Bad and a few others are available commercial free the next day, and often come with extras.

Netflix and MLB streaming. These two items allowed me to go from a Roku/aTV setup to just the aTV. My family prefers the aTV interface by a wide margin...so once NetFlix support came along all was well.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
spacepower7 said:
Like I said, I haven't used Netflix on PS3. Does it have something similar to the left click/double down/ search where you can find movies with the same stars or directors? I haven't found it on the Roku. Curious if the PS3 has that same feature.

I use the PS3 and nope we don't have that feature.
I really need to rip my DVDs. My children lost one of our caselogic bags while on vacation that contained 200 movies. That was two years ago and I'm still not over that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I haven't used Netflix on PS3 and you don't say that you used it on Roku.

I stated that I use both Roku and AppleTV and that Netflix is better on AppleTV, much better?

I have no idea what your experience is.... Just my own on the two devices I have.

It was more of a question then a statement. "Really?".

If Roku is worse then AppleTV then I'd have no use for. Once again not saying Netflix on Apple TV is a terrible experience I just think it could be a lot better. I'm not sure about searching for directors, I don't use that feature but I'll certainly check when I get home.

Kind of off our topic but I also wish the YouTube app was more feature packed on Apple TV. I'd like to be able to subscribe and unsubscribe to channels via the app. From what I read YouTube doesn't have a native app on Roku, so that's a deal breaker. I've read you can use a streaming app like twonky but that doesn't interest me.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I find the Netflix app on Apple TV to be pretty lousy. Half the time things don't show up on "My List" or cover art won't load etc.

While we're sharing stories, I would like to chime in to say that I do not have these problems with Netflix. I have tried other Netflix interfaces (Blu-Ray players, etc.) and I find that the Apple TV interface is the best that I have seen.

A.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
While we're sharing stories, I would like to chime in to say that I do not have these problems with Netflix. I have tried other Netflix interfaces (Blu-Ray players, etc.) and I find that the Apple TV interface is the best that I have seen.

A.

Like I said I experience "my list" shows not always appearing and album art not always popping up. Like I mentioned there is a thread on Apple discussion about it.

At first I thought this was a netflix server issue (may still be) but on my PS3 it's fine.

Plus Hulu Plus will not show cover art all the time, more rare then Netflix though. It always shows all the shows in my queue.

Plus! YouTube won't show all my subscriptions all the time. Backing out of subscriptions and going back in fixes it immediately every time. This isn't the case with Netflix and Hulu however.

Never had any of those issues with Crunchyroll or HBO Go ever.

I can easily tolerate those issues and by no means would get rid of an Apple TV because of them. But those quirks make me not consider Apple TV as the best device at streaming particular services. OVERALL I find it the best, for example Crunchyroll app on PS3 is complete crap and will literally crash which I can not tolerate and the reason I got an Apple TV to begin with.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I installed Mavericks on my iMac over the weekend. I love the ability to use the Appletv as a second monitor (rather than simply mirroring the monitor).

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Portability. I spend the weekends at my girlfriend's place and take it with me. It remembers the wifi networks you use so there is no re-setting it up. I use my wifi at my place during the week and then unplug it and take it to her place, plug it in and its ready to go. Doesnt skip a beat. I plug it in and unplug it at least twice a week. The only down side i've seen to doing this is the potential for losing the remote.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Portability. I spend the weekends at my girlfriend's place and take it with me. It remembers the wifi networks you use so there is no re-setting it up. I use my wifi at my place during the week and then unplug it and take it to her place, plug it in and its ready to go. Doesnt skip a beat. I plug it in and unplug it at least twice a week. The only down side i've seen to doing this is the potential for losing the remote.

can always just program a remote, at the gf's place, to function with the ATV so no bringing remote back and fourth

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
can always just program a remote, at the gf's place, to function with the ATV so no bringing remote back and fourth

Or if you have an iPhone just use that at the place you use the Apple TV the least. Leave the remote at the place it sees the most use.

yolo.85

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
What I love about the Apple TV

I would have to say that one of my favorite features is Airplay. You should check out a post I read on a site called myapplegadgets dot com. There's a great story about what's to like aout the apple tv. ;)

RiverbankGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Just my input on it, mostly what others have said. I have taken a quite vast dvd collection and converted them all to AppleTV format, then unloaded all the dvd's onto my sister. Needless to say my wife and kids love having access to all their shows and movies without hunting down the dvd. So much that we now have an AppleTV in every room of the house. At first it was used sporadically, but after adding a few hundred movies and shows, it started getting used more and more. Now it's a daily thing, aside from sports we very seldomly watch regular tv any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.