Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajanadj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
As a user or perhaps doctor/healthcare professional, do you have any thoughts on this functionality? Have your relationships to your patients/doctors been affected in any way?

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
My Apple Watch has successfully documented three episodes of atrial fibrillation, and many more readings were "inconclusive." I'm now having these symptoms investigated by a cardiologist. One thing I found interesting is how seriously the Watch's ECK function is taken by doctors. Considering how essential the ECK feature is, and considering how much else the Watch can do, I think it is a fantastic value.

Reactions: ajanadj

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My doctor wears an Apple Watch and we talked about the ECG functionality. She's very savvy with technology, but is quite skeptical about the high risk of false positives. She would very much like it to be a tool she can recommend, but isn't ready to do so yet.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I haven't yet had an Apple Watch report from any of my patients, but I wished quite a few had an Apple Watch. I've had quite a few reports from patients about racing heart, and in many cases the in-office ECG captures a snapshot in time when they invariably are not having those symptoms. That necessitates ordering a longer-term heart monitor for them, which is unpleasant for them and in many cases also doesn't show anything. I don't honestly know that readings from an Apple Watch would change the way I manage things if it didn't show anything, but if it did capture unusual signals then I could imagine some instances where it might.

The main criticism of the Apple Watch when it first came out with the atrial fibrillation detection feature was the fear that it was going to have a lot of false positives, and that the medical system would suddenly receive a lot more requests for testing needlessly. I haven't seen any data on that, but I also haven't heard any complaints. Personally, I'd be worried that the Apple Watch may provide a false sense of security for some people, but I also haven't heard any stories of people not seeking medical care just because the Watch didn't report anything.

Of note, I also appreciate Apple's fine touch with the ECG functionality. I bought a new product that was a single-lead ECG, similar to the Apple Watch but working a bit differently, and the amount of signal noise was unbelievable (and basically made it unusable for all but the most perfect scenarios). Apple must have some impressive signal-smoothing algorithm at work, as these are some of the best-looking graphs I've seen. It worries me that some of these may be missing fine signals, but the Watch was never designed to replace a standard ECG.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think it’s amazing. It’s saved so many people’s lives already. I also think it’s good that you can get a report to give up to physician.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Would be nice if it worked for me. My normal resting heart rate is always 90-100 (confirmed normal for years by doctors) so it breaks ECG completely. It always comes up 'inconclusive' and from what I read, it's because my heart rate is always above 80 bpm.

Apple, some consideration for those few of us with hamster heart rates, please! Otherwise the feature has zero benefit!

Also, fix your fall detection algorithm. Using a hammer or clapping my hands should NOT be triggering it!

lewisb1

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Canada
Would be nice if it worked for me. My normal resting heart rate is always 90-100 (confirmed normal for years by doctors) so it breaks ECG completely. It always comes up 'inconclusive' and from what I read, it's because my heart rate is always above 80 bpm.

Apple, some consideration for those few of us with hamster heart rates, please! Otherwise the feature has zero benefit!

Also, fix your fall detection algorithm. Using a hammer or clapping my hands should NOT be triggering it!
Agreed about the fall detection... many times it is activated for no reason. Obviously it is extremely sensitive

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Thought it would learn after all the times I've tapped 'I'm OK' and "I did not fall" but nope.

The last time it done it, I had swatted a fly! It also had water lock mode so I couldn't even get it to unlock that mode to stop it from attempting to dial 911, so I had to force-reboot my watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.