Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Personally, I thought it was a decent update at best. But I'm totally sold with the new Maps app. It's very nice, and i like the phone app improvements, as well as passbook and Siri enhancements. And I'm glad to see the 3GS getting support as well. :)

What do you guys think?

Here is Apple's iOS 6 preview page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Think the expansion of Siri with more data services has the posibility to deal big time blow to Google's mobile search/advertising services.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
boring update, neglects features it could really use, just updates to novelty apps that arent used much.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
I thought it was expected. Did not blow anything out of the water, but I can see using all the features they announced.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I think it is a pretty huge update, Maps looks AMAZING and it looks like there is lots of little things that will provide an all round better experience.

and lets not forget we haven't seen all of the new things (e.g. Redesigned stores.)

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I'm disappointed there is no UI improvements or seemingly quicker ways to do things such as reply to messages or enable/disable WiFI quickly.

As I've said in another thread, to me this comes across as having loads of new shiny things for Facebook / social network users, non of which I use to it wasn't really going to excite me. I have no desire to share my life with the planet.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Considering we only saw a handful of the features (often times, the little things make the most profound difference), I'm pretty impressed. What they showed was extremely polished, and seems genuinely useful.

Though I'm an Android guy on smartphones, this is probably put me over the edge towards getting an iPad 3rd generation. So, in that regard, bravo Apple.

Also: ML looks great.

bfChris

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
Not sure how they can support it on a 3GS and not an iPad V1.

Yes, that is a puzzling question. My iPhone 3GS is 3 years old (and the sooner they get the iPhone 5 out, the sooner it will be retired; the 4S didn't have 4G so I kept waiting). My iPad is only 2 years old. How is it that newer technology is obsolete while ancient hardware is still good to go???

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
YAWN. That's my thoughts about it.

Turn by turn is cool, but I've had it for years on my other devices and it's not going to be used on my iPad at all.

FaceTime over 3G... Skype has had this for ages. FaceTime doesn't offer any benefits over Skype either.

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
Love it. Didn't really have an idea what I wanted, I enjoy iOS fine as it is. All positive improvements.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
YAWN. That's my thoughts about it.

Turn by turn is cool, but I've had it for years on my other devices and it's not going to be used on my iPad at all.

FaceTime over 3G... Skype has had this for ages. FaceTime doesn't offer any benefits over Skype either.

Yes it does! With skype you have to sign in and be on to video chat or call. With facetime there is no sign in and sign out!:rolleyes:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Yes it does! With skype you have to sign in and be on to video chat or call. With facetime there is no sign in and sign out!:rolleyes:

Exactly, it's integrated with iOS!

Also, for those that dont know, the iPad now has a clock app (not sure if it had one before).

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I was really hoping that they would add widget support into iOS. It's a long time overdue now IMO

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

You don't have to sign in.. not manually anyway. When I reboot my iPad, Skype logs in automatically and stays logged in in the background. Unless you sign out, it's always on, just like FaceTime.

The benefit of Skype is of course that it's multi platform, and any messages you share on Skype can be accessed on your Windows/Android/and any other platform that supports Skype devices.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
I'm very excited about iOS6. The new maps feature looks amazing, the turn by turn feature was a much needed feature. It is weird that the 3GS works with iOS6 but the original iPad doesn't. Maybe Apple has something planned?;)

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You don't have to sign in.. not manually anyway. When I reboot my iPad, Skype logs in automatically and stays logged in in the background. Unless you sign out, it's always on, just like FaceTime.

The benefit of Skype is of course that it's multi platform, and any messages you share on Skype can be accessed on your Windows/Android/and any other platform that supports Skype devices.

Maybe on android, windows phone, and ios it auto sign in (not sure if the app is close tho)! But On os x and windows you have to have the app open and sign in and start receiving message call, vid call amirite?

On the other hand i dont have to open facetime app on my mac to receive a facetime call!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Maybe on android, windows phone, and ios it auto sign in (not sure if the app is close tho)! But On os x and windows you have to have the app open and sign in and start receiving message call, vid call amirite?

On the other hand i dont have to open facetime app on my mac to receive a facetime call!

Right, but Skype has an auto sign in feature for windows too. You can close it so it's not in the taskbar and only appears in the system tray, but it's still signed in, and you can still get calls.

I really don't see that as a disadvantage!

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Really expected more for iOS6. It seems more like an incremental 5.5
I don't think Siri will be on the iP4 or iPad2 so even more of a let down in that reguard. I'm guessing Maps was the big feature.

For me the biggest thing was DND I've been wanting something like that since I had my 3G although I wish it took it one step more and allowed you to choose which days also along with the time. I don't know. Of course I'll update my iPad2 to iOS6 and probably my iPhone4 but if they don't show something else when they show the new iPhone I may pick up a SIII and give me son my iP4 and he can use it on StraightTalk instead of the phone he has now.

Sort of tired of the same ole same. Was hoping the UI got a refresh, even if it only meant new icons or colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.