Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I Get The 5.5G iPod?

• Yes, buy it now!

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No, wait for the 6G!

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Get a Nano!

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

snackcakeofd00m

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
My iPod 4G broke this summer, and I decided to wait until the Apple Announcement of yesterday. So yesterday came, and no touchscreen iPod showed, not even a 16x9 iPod.

Now I need to make a decision. I miss my iPod. I miss having my music on me, but I feel if I buy the 5.5G iPod now, I feel as though I will be screwed in a few months when Apple announces the widescreen/touchscreen iPod.

So what do you guys think. Is it time for me to upgrade to the 5G, or should I wait until the rumored 6G iPod comes to fruition?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
If You Need It Now, Buy Now. If You Don't Need It Now, Wait™

You won't buy an iPod and feel like you've been ripped off. Apple purposely make all of these little features seem massive so you have to sell your current Pod and buy the latest and greatest. For a few minutes, i was seriously considering doing that, but i realised my iPod is still great, and still does more than i need it to.
If you feel the current 5th Gen does what you want, get it. If you think something about the 6th Gen will serve you better, wait and see. If it doesn't, you can buy cheap 5th Gens off the refurb pages.

snackcakeofd00m

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
apachie2k said:
buy those cool new nanos so when they do come out with a touchscreen/widescreen your actually upgrading alot:D :D :D :D
I just can't justify purchasing two iPods in one year(that is assuming we will be getting the new iPod within a year).

If I get an iPod I am going to be sticking with it until it breaks.

Applespider

macrumors G4
iGary said:
Completely underwhelming after waiting a year...

I predict another event close to whenever MS announce the Zune's launch date - that will will give us the real 6G iPod but it will be sold in parallel with this 5.5G iPod. That should steal some thunder... :)

Just as the iPod Photo was sold alongside the B&W iPod at a premium until the masses 'demanded' colour screens to go with their colour phones etc, the new bigger screen video iPod will sell at a higher pricepoint for a year until it becomes the new standard for the masses and the 5G will drop along with the 6G price.

Why do I think this? Simply because I can't quite believe they've spent a year adding a brighter backlight and a slightly better battery...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Applespider said:
I predict another event close to whenever MS announce the Zune's launch date - that will will give us the real 6G iPod but it will be sold in parallel with this 5.5G iPod. That should steal some thunder... :)

Just as the iPod Photo was sold alongside the B&W iPod at a premium until the masses 'demanded' colour screens to go with their colour phones etc, the new bigger screen video iPod will sell at a higher pricepoint for a year until it becomes the new standard for the masses and the 5G will drop along with the 6G price.

Why do I think this? Simply because I can't quite believe they've spent a year adding a brighter backlight and a slightly better battery...

I hope so, I already have $400 socked away for the *hopefully* touchscreen video Pod. :)

Sorry I have been so negative about the whole thing. Just dissapointed. ;)

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Really I dont see anything that much different between the 5g's and 5.5gs except a new more efficient screen back light which makes the battery last longer. I would definately hold out and get a 6g. but at the moment Im getting a 4gb green nano

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
The new nanos are pretty sexy. Just disappointed that the 8GB is only black (only time before you can get the others).

Get the new nano. The 5.5 iPods are underwhelming at best. If you don't like the idea of having videos on a 2.5" screen, the nanos are an a-ok. I personally would wait. Remember last year, before holiday season, when they released the nano. Then BAM. A couple months later, and we see the new iPod with video.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
Applespider said:

We are totally on the same level dude :D lol. I completely agree with you :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My G4 broke a few weeks ago, so I jumped straight in and bought an 80 gig yesterday. Now for the tricky bit, waiting for it to arrive!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iGary said:
Completely underwhelming after waiting a year...
I was kind of thinking that at first, but now I'm not so sure it matters that much. The iPod really didn't have much in the way of substantial changes right up until the photo model came out. Sure, they mucked around with the controls and connectors, but the real functionality changes were overall pretty minor.

Applespider said:
The official Zune press gathering is tomorrow. This should be interesting.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Wait to see what the Zune is all about, but I bet it will make to go out and buy the new ipod. Unless you are really into watching movies on the go that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.