Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hi

I am wanted people to tell me what they think of the site:

http://www.g4powermac.com/

(It is not my site)

I would like people to comment on:

• Site Design & Userbility
• Spelling, Grammer and Content
• Quality of HTML & Graphics
• Over all usefulness
• Score out of 10.

Thanks,
Ensign

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd say get rid of the logo in the background, it's tacky and distracting.

And if they're going to make something that looks like a button, you darn well better make it act like one. Plus you can see the white box around them.

Plus putting in underlined text on a web page is annoying especially when it isn't a link. (ie back to the buttons and a couple the G4Powermac.com Top Stories & Providing free Apple Mac... headlines)

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
hmm after that enlightened post by sevag1 I think a post is needed
I give it round 6-7 out of 10 overall
I think theres a few to many adds and a disorganized frame system
The background could be simpler and friendlier I suggest an official Apple background or a pinstriped background w/out the g4powermac logo.
IMO

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
site design

bad:

- complex background
- abrupt frames
- text on texture
- misleading button titles
- large over-used elements
- color scheme (what color scheme there is gets lost in the ads)
- default text (thin) on textured background
- blinking ads
- web counter
- unorganized header
- drop-down menu w/one option
- multiple justifications
- warped (please hold down the shift key) images
- animated GIFs (if your modeling something please shade it...ie spinning apple logo)
- woz ad
- grey text used for date
*just to name a few on the first page

good:
well...at least the content is about apple

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Use of text elements, in a purely page layout sense - it's uses way too many different styles, which means it's ugly.

Limit the number of styles to simpify the page and make it easier for the reader to read and understand the way headlines, subheadings, and captions operate.

Add some white space between news items and shrink the spacing between paragraphs. Right now it's darn hard to tell when and where something starts and stops.

I like using the grey bar between each section, but the news items overpower the section heading.

Keep it simple choose one font for body text and another for headings and sub-headings, and let the document flow from there.

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
its very crowded, i dont even think in read anything. it has too many styles,shapes sizes, inclinations distracting the attention . it needs to be "minimalized"

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
it definitely looks too crowded. it's too hard to read anything, you've got to strugggle to try and seperate everything into different sections. everything has to be spaced out a little bit. i'd give it a 4 out of 10.

was this a trick to make us realise how good Macrumors is??:p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
White space - learn what it means, right now this is what we see when we look at the page.

Originally posted by Sun Baked
use of text elements, in a purely page layout sense - it's uses way too many different styles, which means it's ugly limit the number of styles to simpify the page and make it easier for the reader to read and understand the way headlines, subheadings, and captions operate add some white space between news items and shrink the spacing between paragraphs right now it's darn hard to tell when and where something starts and stops i like using the grey bar between each section, but the news items overpower the section heading keep it simple choose one font for body text and another for headings and sub-headings, and let the document flow from there.

A solid lump of text.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sevag1
its crap

I second that motion... It's extremely non-Scottish...

Background is way too busy, text looks crowded, full of typo's (it's center not centre :p ). The text of the main frame looks like it is all crammed together to save vertical space or something... :rolleyes:

They also could have done a better job with the "made with a Mac" item at the end of the page.

Am I just not seeing it, or did they leave out a link to MacRumors??? Those damned brit's.. :mad: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
bwahhhh the frames the frames!!!!

if its going to be relatively plain like that, then it needs to be clear and have well marked controls. maybe glowing links or something, or some good CSS to make the form elements look a bit nicer. i think the control panel for the vbulletin boards would actually make a nice model for cleaning this site up, assuming they want to keep the left frame (which isnt too bad after all)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Just to point out, its not my site, its a friends, well a MUG collegues site, he think it rules and is better that our offical site (ymug.org)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Just to point out, its not my site, its a friends, well a MUG collegues site, he think it rules and is better that our offical site (ymug.org)

That poor deluded fool... I just went to your 'official site' and it is about 1000x easier to read. The links at the top and bottom of the page are a good idea. IF I was to suggest ANY changes, it would be to have the top link bar in it's own frame so that you can scroll through the rest of the page and still be able to use those links. Again, that is the ONLY change I would suggest... Other then that, a nice and clean site.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The ymug site is clean and crisp and looks a lot more professionally laid out.

While the other site looks a lot like the one Homer Simpson made in that one internet episode. Full of distracting eye candy and fancy widgets.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Sun Baked
The ymug site is clean and crisp and looks a lot more professionally laid out.

While the other site looks a lot like the one Homer Simpson made in that one internet episode. Full of distracting eye candy and fancy widgets.

DOH!!!!!!

"The boy, bring me the boy"

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
just about nothing is fluid with the other elements which is kinda generall.. but the main problem...

for instance the image on the left pane isnt transparent.. but even if it was, it would be totally obnoxious because of the redundant backround...

also, the page doesnt have a theme -- this doesnt have to be a theme thats materialistic (like a season - fall.. or whatever..) just the colours have to match -- and on the page there are is bo colour theme.. just black for text and the rest of the page is images....

id give it more like a 4 out of 10

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Originally posted by AlphaTech

That poor deluded fool... I just went to your 'official site' and it is about 1000x easier to read. The links at the top and bottom of the page are a good idea. IF I was to suggest ANY changes, it would be to have the top link bar in it's own frame so that you can scroll through the rest of the page and still be able to use those links. Again, that is the ONLY change I would suggest... Other then that, a nice and clean site.

Although that is a good idea, I can't use it because I dislike frames used on websites, although iFrames don't seem to bad :)

Ensign

kettle

macrumors 65816
<Skipworthy>

I love this site.
I've been reading this forum a lot longer than I've been a member.
I'd love to have an avatar, but I'm not just going to wear out my keyboard posting a load of c**p.
I think it would be good if there was a button to press on the "Post Reply" page, that would flag the post as skip worthy. This way people could keep their freedom of speech, while preventing my pretend scroll wheel from kicking a premature bucket.

How about giving anyone the opportunity to display an avatar, or perhaps lower the limit to, lets say ten. I think most of us could post ten good ones, don't you?.

maybe not then.
</Skipworthy>

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
NASTY!

Oh boy, its hard t believe that the site ever made to the web server.

Its like all those bad movies that cost millions but get made and sent to the big screen. Some where along the lines of making a million dollar film why doesnt someone stand up and say.

"Excuse me, sir uuhh Mr Director , but this really is a piece of total stinkin garbage we better stop and start over!"

I think that's when the director calls security, i guess and the garbage machine continues....

but this site is a horror against eyes,,, destroy it if you can or stand up tell the person that made it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.