Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So for all of you that use Terminal what do you use it for that works better than going through the Finder?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
renice +20 [processIDnumber]

Really useful when I'm rendering something and want to make the process run in the background so that I'm not slowed down with other stuff that requires more processor time.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So for all of you that use Terminal what do you use it for that works better than going through the Finder?

I run websites, and I use the built-in web server on my Mac plus an install of PHP and MySQL. I edit PHP/HTML from the Terminal, move files around, etc. I FTP to my server using Terminal. And when I intend to install a new web software package (photo gallery, etc) I will try it on my Mac locally first, which involves a lot of unarchiving, chmod'ding, moving files around, etc.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I use it to quit the Dock sometimes to get a cool effect when using the genie effect on a window. I also use it to play tetris and mess around with the doctor on it. And I've also used it to delete some invisible files that were locked. I don't use it on a daily basis though.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005

The terminal offers a very in depth entrance into the inner workings of the Operating System, and allows you to do certain things that you simply can't do using the GUI.

For instance, I was in a situation where I had to edit the hosts file, and the only way to do this is through the terminal using vim, because you can't see EVERY FILE in the finder.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Thanks for the replies, I have been interested in learning how to use it but I wasn't sure what you could do with it that was worth learning how to use it.

ahuman7341

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
Fairbanks, AK
I didn't go out of my way to ever learn to use it, I just picked it up from playing around on macosxhints.com and reading the man pages when i needed somthing.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Launching applications with arguments. Testing programs and games. Visiting the man pages for in-depth reference of the C language. Reindexing spotlight (only once I have done this). Running maintenance scripts. Various other things.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Gosh, I do a whole bunch of stuff in the Terminal...

FTP (before I got Transmit)
Shell scripting
Java programming
Managing the built-in Apache web server

Among other things, I have written as shell scripts:
  • Auto-downloaders (with the help of wget)
  • User folder permission fixers
  • Download organizers
  • Music file auto-taggers

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mucking around basically... Most recently to set up access control lists for my shared folder (although, then I got Sandbox, so I guess now I can do that graphically).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
For instance, I was in a situation where I had to edit the hosts file, and the only way to do this is through the terminal using vim, because you can't see EVERY FILE in the finder.
FYI, you can see any non-hidden file (although not actually edit many of the system ones) from TextEdit simply by opening it, type ⌘-o to open a file, typing "/" once the "Open" dialog appears, and entering the path to where you want to go. For example, type "/etc", then choose the hosts file.

Similarly, you can use Finder to "Go to Folder..." to alter the permissions of those non-hidden files.

Of course, Terminal's often ten times better when dealing with system files, but many of them can be accessed without it.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
FYI, you can see any non-hidden file (although not actually edit many of the system ones) from TextEdit simply by opening it, type ?-o to open a file, typing "/" once the "Open" dialog appears, and entering the path to where you want to go. For example, type "/etc", then choose the hosts file.

Similarly, you can use Finder to "Go to Folder..." to alter the permissions of those non-hidden files.

Of course, Terminal's often ten times better when dealing with system files, but many of them can be accessed without it.

..... and knowing is half the battle.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
making .iso, i have yet to find a way to make .iso w/o Terminal or a 3rd party app.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I came to OS X because (at the time) Linux sucks on notebooks. I needed a good UNIX-like OS that had great notebook support. So I use the terminal for heaps of stuff. A few command line apps that come to mind are vcdgear, vim, top, irssi, wget, nmap, ssh (both client and server), I could go on for ages but that'll do me.

OS X best desktop UNIX-like OS!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I use it to change various settings from time to time that are access by an app made in applescript. Easier to access the settings this way rather than through GUI scripting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.