Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akira1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
I bought an iPad Mini (2nd gen I think?) solely for use in my car for roadtrips. I download music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. to the ipad and leave it plugged in and connected to the radio of my car. I use my phone (iPhone) for navigation and phone calls.

Works amazingly. Before, I'd have music streaming from my phone to the car radio and GPS/navigation and phone calls would have to dance and fumble around the music. Now, with just the music separated, I can easily answer calls and hear navigation. Helps that the iPad was like $60 on Craigslist

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Generation

This is my third iPad. iPad 2, then iPad Air 2. I've been a semi-professional musician for the past 20+ years and the original justification for purchasing an iPad was to read song charts on stage. I've been in a lot of cover bands, as well as original bands, and for the cover bands, I simply must have the lyrics and chord changes in front of me. Ever since the 12.9 inch iPad was released, I saw it as an eventuality for me. The large screen makes all the difference when reading charts.

Besides the song charts, I daily use it as a podcast player in my kitchen while I cook breakfast or dinner. I stream baseball with MLB.tv and presently, Apple TV+, other sports and content as well, but generally while I'm doing something else. I sometimes use it as a second screen with my Mac. I use it to read news and books, but it's too heavy to hold for very long.

When the iPad first came out, I thought, meh... but damn, what a solid and useful product it has evolved into.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Mini 6 cellular - mounted in my SUV

- GPS
- YT
- Music
- FaceTime
- Checking and responding to emails / Teams msgs ( when NOT driving )
- Browsing ( sometimes )
- Capturing notes

Reactions: RickTaylor

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
iPad Pro 11" 2018 w/ Magic Keyboard constantly attached
  • Notes (probably my most used app, across all my devices), Reminders, Calendar, Mail
  • Browsing: Safari
  • Reading: Unread, Reddit, Substack (only with these do I detach the iPad from the keyboard)
  • Work: Slack
  • Work: Outlook
  • Work: Teams (occasionally)
  • Watching: Netflix, Youtube, Disney+, TV
  • Image editing: Darkroom, Affinity Photo
  • Files: Downloading, extracting, transferring FLAC downloads from Bandcamp, to my Roon music server. It still amazes me I can do this, without having to open my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.