Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
If I take my MBP to the apple store with peeling paint, will they take it and repaint it?

Also, what do they keep in your file at the apple store? I went in the a while ago and was honest with them (which I found out is the wrong stance to take) and told them that my MBP had been dropped. There were no problems with it, and they even saw it there, but he told me that he wouldn't fix it because of the "accidental damage." It has since been fixed at a CompUSA, but will they still say my AppleCare is void because of accidental damage?

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
The strange little angled part between the bottom row of keys (fn, ctrl, opt, cmd, space, ETC..) and the flat palm rest area. its almost directly under the "home" key. I've only noticed it lately, and since i've been noticing my 'puter has been running a lot hotter than usual and not sleeping correctly.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Can you share a few pictures of the peeling paint?

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics, I can get some better ones tomorrow with mah real camera.

Its pretty small right now, but I can tell its spreading, and the paint is discolored from the seam in the page down and end keys, almost to the apple.

Attachments

• Photo_031307_001.jpg
    Photo_031307_001.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Photo_031307_002.jpg
    Photo_031307_002.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 109

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I take my MBP to the apple store with peeling paint, will they take it and repaint it?

No.

Their anodized aluminium hasn't been known for widespread problems. Think about how long they've been making this laptop frame. There's no way they'd fix it if you're the one who caused it. And besides, it's external damage and likely considered "wear and tear" by the user, which they would never fix because they don't feel accountable for what happens to the laptop when it's in your care.

And I'm not sure about their policy on fixing laptops after they've been dropped. In the past, some people have dropped their PowerBooks, made a big dent, then went into Apple stores and said "My harddisk doesn't work anymore." Many were turned away. I think Apple should fix a problem if the problem arose well after dropping the system, say you dent your laptop, and then the motherboard/logic board stops working 3 months later.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I think Apple should fix a problem if the problem arose well after dropping the system, say you dent your laptop, and then the motherboard/logic board stops working 3 months later.

That is exactly what happened. I dropped it, it had been taken in, looked at, and they told me if nothing was wrong besides it didn't close, then don't fix it because it would cost me too much. then i took it in like 4-6 mos later and they said they couldn't do anything because of the accidnetal damage. pure idiocy on their parts!

but anyway, about the paint... so they won't do anything about it? this stupid thing has been giving me nothing but problems, and i'm trying to build myself a case to get them to either repair or replace it, and hoping I can add this to the pile.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Is the paint peeling a real common problem with the MBP C2D laptops?

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Is the paint peeling a real common problem with the MBP C2D laptops?

MBPs (and Aluminum Powerbooks) are NOT painted. It's anodized aluminum. What happened is that the anodized layer got peeled off. The only model that had severe peeling problems was the Titanium PowerBook which was actually painted.

jimytheassassin

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
MBPs (and Aluminum Powerbooks) are NOT painted. It's anodized aluminum. What happened is that the anodized layer got peeled off. The only model that had severe peeling problems was the Titanium PowerBook which was actually painted.
Anything anodized is highly resistant to peeling/flaking/cracking...unless the surface wasn't properly cleaned/degreased before the anodizing process. Then you would stand a high chance of this event happening. However even the thin coat on the MBP should be very tough. I don't understand how that could be your fault, unless you were picking at it. I would keep pressing them to replace the part. Manufacturing mistakes can and do happen.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
This is NOT the same finish as the palmrests. It's the only part where there have been many reports of peeling. The reason is, I believe, that that little strip IS painted. I don't know why, but there are a lot of things Apple does that I don't quite understand. The peeling should not happen. There is NO contact there with the user - why would it peel, unless there is an underlyin defect in the finish or the paint simply can't handle the heat produced? Either way, it is not normal wear and tear since there is no wear involved.

I don't understand why anybody would suggest that this is normal or outside of warranty, especially given that there have been quite a few complaints from people with the exact same issue. I think the previous powerbooks were the same material/finish throughout and they changed something with these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.