What does Apple do if they replace your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duelingdragons, Jun 27, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Do they wipe your old phone while you are still in the store? Transfer data to the new phone?

Or do they basically just take the old device and give you the new one.

2. macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

He made sure I had syncd at home before coming in (like they tell you to in the appointment) and then wiped my phone in front of me.

3. macrumors 6502a

- They take your device, after you've wiped it via 'reset.'
    - They then give you a refurbishment; they say it's a brand new device, with 2nd hand circuit board.
    - Your device is sent off; the battery, screen are thrown away, and the internals are put in a new case.

*This is what they say they do; usually they're very good, but I remember a person receiving a iPod with stuff on it - which would imply they just repackage them; but, I think that was a once off / accident.*

4. macrumors regular

I had to swap out for a refurbed 3G once, and when I went into the iTunes store it prompted me for someone else's password.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

What are the chances they'll let me pick a white one instead of a black one for a replacement?

Probably 0%, right?

6. Guest

they will only exchange for the same color you originally purchased. In the event they are out of stock of black phones (which i seriously doubt would ever happen) - maybe if you get the right Genius and it's a busy Saturday afternoon and it's right before his lunch break and he was out drinking the night before and has to really pee, maybe.

7. macrumors 6502a

They just took mine and stuck it in a black box, no data wipe.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Darn :rolleyes:

Will I encounter any grief since this is happening outside of one year?
    I purchased the phone on launch last June and its happening now, about a week outside of the one year.

I'm going to go after work I just want to decide whether or not its worth it.

9. macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always do the data wipe myself with them standing there, even if they say they’re going to do it later.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't it take a while though?

11. macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don’t need to wait for it. Once started, it can’t be stopped. So, you start it, hand it to the Genius and you’re done.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

Right on. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!