Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
So I am planning to buy a MBP 2017 for senior and my 4 years in college. What dongles do I need? So far I plan on buying:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUKU1OO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A142BGUZC6UH73
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1G6FWX/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2262GNYSYNTAZ

Do you think the HUB is worth it? I am afraid of buying it since it only has 50 reviews.

Personally through out my life using a computer I only really use the USB 3.0 for a mouse and flash drive. However I am not sure if I really need the SSD since wouldn't I be able to plug in my phone and camera into the computer using the USB 3.0? Do you think that I just need to get a usb 3.0 hub only?

Also what is USB 2.0? Do I need it?

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
USB is backwards compatible. USB-C is compatible with USB3,2,1 and so forth.

You just need whatever cables you need. You can get USB-C cables in any kind you want, HDMI/Ehternet/Audio/Data etc. So if you have a micro-usb port on a camera, you can just get a USB-C/Micro cable if you want.

Alternatively you can buy one of those hubs and use the standard USB cables as is. These things are only a stopgap so it's whatever solution works for you. What you can do going forward is if you're buying a new flash drive for instance, consider getting one with a USB-C port on it (And USB-A). Things like that.

Reactions: Alphonsus

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
To my understanding, where as USB Type-A (AKA USB-A) and USB Type-C (AKA USB-C) refer to the physical connector(s) on the end(s) of the cable (and often to discuss compatibility with the physical port built into the computer or device), USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 refer to the version of the USB specifications themselves and different revisions are capable of different speeds/power/etc. USB 3.0 is now called USB 3.1 Gen 1, and sometimes "USB 5Gbps". So, when describing a cable or a hub, the connector type on the computer side, the connector type on the device side (if it is different from the other side connector), and the USB generation are usually referenced, such as "USB 2.0 with USB-A male to USB-Micro B cable," to let us know that it is the 480 Mbps USB 2.0 standard, it uses a USB type-A connector on one end (to plug into a USB-A port on the computer or hub as it is a male connector), and a USB-micro-B connector on the other end (to plug into the device.)

Your MacBook Pro supports:
USB 1.1 (IIRC 12 Mbps?)
USB 2.0 (480 Mbps)
USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps), formally called USB 3.0 SuperSpeed
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps)

If you wish to use a device that has a USB-A connector on the cable that either is built into the device or is removable and came with the device, you will need an adapter, a hub, or a conversion cable. For example, to use my printer with a single cable and no adapters/hubs, I need a USB Type-C to USB Type-B cable. But to use a hard drive with a tethered USB-A connector (i.e., the cable cannot be removed), I need a USB-C --> USB-A adapter.

As for which specific adapters/hubs/cables you need, this depends on what devices you use and which connectors these devices have (for example, USB wired mice, flash drives, keyboards, printers, external hard drives, microphones/headphones, assistive devices, etc.; ethernet cable for wired internet connectivity; SD/microSD cards; HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort/VGA external displays; FireWire/eSATA/Thunderbolt1/2 devices.)

A SSD is a solid state drive - this is a type of hard drive that uses flash memory instead of a spinning disk for faster transfer speeds. External SSDs come in many different USB flavors, but are unrelated to enabling you to use other devices. If you purchase an external hard drive that is solid state, you can buy one that already has USB-C built-in, and comes with a USB-C cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphonsus

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
What hub do you recommend?

I saw the Satechi was recommended however when you look at Amazon they don't have good reviews.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You don't need any dongles for your described user case. Just standard USB cables. For flash drives, there are ones that have both A and C connector, cheap and great in these transition times.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
So I am planning to buy a MBP 2017 for senior and my 4 years in college. What dongles do I need? So far I plan on buying:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUKU1OO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A142BGUZC6UH73
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1G6FWX/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2262GNYSYNTAZ

Do you think the HUB is worth it? I am afraid of buying it since it only has 50 reviews.

Personally through out my life using a computer I only really use the USB 3.0 for a mouse and flash drive. However I am not sure if I really need the SSD since wouldn't I be able to plug in my phone and camera into the computer using the USB 3.0? Do you think that I just need to get a usb 3.0 hub only?

Also what is USB 2.0? Do I need it?
A good read with answers in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.