Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I have a music library of 6.25 GB which I want to backup onto 2 DVDs. When I use Backup to get the files, the total size comes to 13.95 GB.

Where did all the rest of the stuff come from?? Can anyone tell me what it is and whether I need it? If I don't, how do I get rid of it? Thanks.

I've noticed when searching for this topic that a few people have had problems restoring stuff using Backup. I did a full 'Backup-backup' a couple of weeks ago only for it to tell me, at the end of the last DVD (one short of the number it said it would take), that the backup was incomplete.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Backup is dodgy. If you only selected to back up your music and it used more space than your iTunes library displays, then check the actual iTunes folder (COMMAND-I) to make sure there aren't any surreptitious files laying about. :)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Hello MJ. Lone voice in the wilderness!

I couldn't find anything that way, so, inspired by the suggestion, I did a new backup list, choosing the whole list so that I could see in Backup how much memory was needed by each file. There was something there called 'unknown folder' with over 8GB of random music files. It didn't show up in the library and I've no idea where it came from, but having deleted it everything is still fine.

Deleted some items that I already have on CD and ended up with 4.07 GB. Backup said it would need 2 :confused: DVDs but fitted it all onto one anyway.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.