Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Just to make sure the truth is your truth? :rolleyes:

They shimmer. Deal with it. :D

The truth is for a display of the ACD's size, the shimmer is a non issue.

You also conveniently neglected the fact that the ACD screens have MUCH superior viewing angles and a much wider colour gamut.

That I don't need you to tell me, I own a 20" myself.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003

You also conveniently neglected the fact that the ACD screens have MUCH superior viewing angles and a much wider colour gamut. Not that this has anything to do with screen coating.

It's not so much an issue for day to day use, but it can definitely get in the way sometimes when you're trying to do detail work.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

You also conveniently neglected the fact that the ACD screens have MUCH superior viewing angles and a much wider colour gamut.

I think this is the key here: the terrible viewing angles of he 15" vs the 20" cinema display and color gamut. At a distance, the 15" look ok, but they're not meant to be viewed at a distance, unfortunately.

CedarPoint182

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2006
Just to clarify, is grain something that is considered a defect, or is it just how they are? I just got my MBP and it certainly looks like it could be a victim of grain, but after spending months arguing with them over my MB issues, I don't want to worry about it unless they are doing simple replacements.

evannieuwburg

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2008
i experience the grain as microscopic little eyeglasses that refrect the perfect pcicture that is emitted from the perfectly fine display underneath it. It destroys the sharpness of the picture and makes my eyes try to readjust the unsharp image. I just got a 30 incher ACD and i am very displeased here.....

superman666

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
you guys, i'm sorry this is ********. First yellow-tinted screens, and now grains... you guys are looking for problems. Just enjoy it, and stop posting every miniscule detail that you think is a problem

evannieuwburg

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2008
@superman. Dont talk crap dude. You have NOT seen my screen, so you have no idea what you are judging about in this case. The anti-glare coating on my screen is much heavier than on the screen i saw in the shop (which i guess is an older version of the 30 inch ACD). Fact is that this is the first screen in years that seriously gives me a headache.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
While I have yet to see a Macbook Pro with a grainy screen, I have seen a 23" ACD with really bad grain. If you've used a brand new iMac with the clear protective plastic still on the screen, it looks exactly like that. Its really bad. A guy came in complaining about it and we loaned him one of our own 23" that was remarkably better, and Apple took back the old screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.