Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm playing Skyrim now. No need for a social life. Already sank 60 hours into it and I'm not even half way through yet.

I played Far Cry 3 recently and its an awesome game but it does get a bit boring once you clear out the bad guys. I managed to find all of the relics and letters. Overall, I spent about 60 hours on it. Worthy of purchase, only downside is Uplay.

I was impressed that Far Cry 3 actually runs better than the original Crysis but I don't think Far Cry 3 looks quite as good...Far Cry 3 made my old 5870 cry though on ultra settings.

I loved Skyrim but as soon as I finished the main quest I dropped it. For FarCry3, I'm spending more time foraging for supplies and every so often take on bad guys. :) Uplay... a thumbs down. Just another method of control. They trying to be like Steam I suppose.

I hated both Far Cry 1 & 2. I hated Crysis. I hated Dead Island, because of the setting. But I enjoy the jungle violence of Far Cry 3 so goddamn much!:)

Oh yeah, that first time you get you leg chewed up by a croc. Or a shark. Or a komodo dragon.:D

I am now parkour-ing through the Assassin's Creed series for the first time. I'm currently in the second instalment and while it's a very well crafted game, I feel the ingenuity of the first AC to be slowly fading away.

I loved the first FarCry due to it's open and sneaky nature. Liked Crysis too, but I did not finish it and the second Crysis was not as good as the first imo.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm dual platform. Serious gaming happens on my PC. Regarding Minecraft shaders, your link is not working for me. If it was as easy as installing a texture pack, I'd give it a try. I was just curious about how light sources are defined or if they are pre-defined in the game by the sun, moon, torches, etc. I don't know that much about it. It is a great effect.
Try this link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1544257-164162shaders-mod-v201-beta-18-updated-by-karyonix/

It isn't as easy as installing a texture pack, though it isn't too much harder.

Your question could've been phrased better, but as I don't know much about this I asked a friend. He said the torches are probably point lights, while the moon is ambient and the sun is probably volumetric lighting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Try this link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1544257-164162shaders-mod-v201-beta-18-updated-by-karyonix/

It isn't as easy as installing a texture pack, though it isn't too much harder.

Your question could've been phrased better, but as I don't know much about this I asked a friend. He said the torches are probably point lights, while the moon is ambient and the sun is probably volumetric lighting.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was just trying to get you to confirm that volumetric lighting is not a situation where you set light sources, but they simply exist in the game from the sources mentioned and cast shadows.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have played FarCry 1 on Windows PC few years ago the graphic is nice but I haven't finished it so I gave up. Crysis looks impressive. Now I got a rMBP last year I started buying games last two months.

Civ 5
SimCity 5
The Sim 3 (there is error message for no apparent reasons)
Empire Total War
:apple:

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
If you were a Left4Dead player, could you compare? Thanks!

l4d is more a fps like serious sam, dayZ is a REAL survival game... in this alpha you have to eat, drink and keep your char healthy while you are looking for a gun to protect yourself from other players. its a completly new feeling, cause if you are dead, all your stuff is lost and you have to start again so you really have to think about what your are going to do next.

totally fun if you play with some friends

there is a lot to tell about this game and the (upcoming) features

check some youtube videos.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
l4d is more a fps like serious sam, dayZ is a REAL survival game... in this alpha you have to eat, drink and keep your char healthy while you are looking for a gun to protect yourself from other players. its a completly new feeling, cause if you are dead, all your stuff is lost and you have to start again so you really have to think about what your are going to do next.

totally fun if you play with some friends

there is a lot to tell about this game and the (upcoming) features

check some youtube videos.

What they call a harsh death penalty. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well for me Lord of the Rings Online, a little Civ 5, more LotRO, occasional XCom oh, and lots more LotRO :)

I've tried LOTRO twice and could not stick with it. Were you a WoW or other MMORPG player at one point? What does LOTRO have that makes it special in your opinion? Not a confrontational question, just interested.

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
I've tried LOTRO twice and could not stick with it. Were you a WoW or other MMORPG player at one point? What does LOTRO have that makes it special in your opinion? Not a confrontational question, just interested.

My original MMORPG was Everquest and I spent a few years with that. EQ2 was fine for 18 months or so and I'll be honest, I tried WoW but wasn't a great fan. I've always been a huge Tolkien fan and so managed to get into early beta for LotRO (about 6 years ago...or was it 7 :confused:) and have just gone back to it after an 18/24 month break where I tried Rift and SWtOR.

What makes it special; well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it was always community and a great Guild originally but for me as a solo player now (can't commit the time to guild membership anymore) I find it a great experience for story, exploration and seeing a fantastic world through the eyes of some pretty impressive artists. I know some hate and others are ambivalent about what I think is fantastic, but such is personal taste :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Revisiting Left 4 Dead 2, this time on PC/Mac ($5 on Steam) such a fine fine game, an adrenal rush. Mac-PC versions are cross platform if you were wondering. :)

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Wildstar and Skyrim have taken up most of my game time lately.

Since getting the new iMac, I've also spent a little time with Minecraft, XCOM: Enemy Within, SimCity (5), Diablo 3, and Civ V.

Currently on my list due to Steam Sale purchases: All the FarCry, All the BioShocks, Don't Starve, Long Live the Queen, Gone Home, and Surgeon Simulator 2013.

mediaman0610

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
So you folks who are playing Far Cry 3 how did you get it to work? Bought it for myself last Thursday and haven't gotten it work yet. Always gives me a locked up black screen after I click play in Uplay.

I'm using my late 2013 Macbook Pro, by the way, if anyone has any tips.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
So you folks who are playing Far Cry 3 how did you get it to work? Bought it for myself last Thursday and haven't gotten it work yet. Always gives me a locked up black screen after I click play in Uplay.

I'm using my late 2013 Macbook Pro, by the way, if anyone has any tips.

They're doing what we told you to do in your other thread - install Windows using Boot Camp.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I'm having fun with The Secret World mainly. There's like 9 other games I bought from the Steam summer sale that I need to play at some point.

iCyborg

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
Far Cry 3 This game never gets old.

Skyrim Already level 50 with 40 hours of gameplay and I haven't even started the main quest

Borderlands 2 I love the art style, gameplay, and all the guns. Right now I'm rocking an Infinity Pistol that deals 1200 damage.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Far Cry 3 This game never gets old.

Skyrim Already level 50 with 40 hours of gameplay and I haven't even started the main quest

Borderlands 2 I love the art style, gameplay, and all the guns. Right now I'm rocking an Infinity Pistol that deals 1200 damage.

That would be more than a level an hour, can I ask how ? I ask because I have spent sometime playing this I Just cannot see how this could be achieved.

iCyborg

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
That would be more than a level an hour, can I ask how ? I ask because I have spent sometime playing this I Just cannot see how this could be achieved.

Oh, sorry, I made a huge mistake. 70 hours of gameplay, not 40.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I recently finished Thief: Deadly Shadows (with high-res texture pack) and now I'm playing Deus Ex HR (Director's Cut). I have over 400 games on Steam so I'm trying to go through the older ones I always wanted to play but never had the chance. Enjoying Deus Ex HR so far, but The Last Of Us on PS3 is also beckoning.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Started installing Fallout: New Vegas. I beat the first one when I had it on PS3, but never made it very far in the second one, so I figured I'd have another go at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.