Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Kingpin: Life of Crime (1999)
1701940425827.png

Kingpin: Life of Crime is an ultra violent, highly profane, gritty & brutal game. The graphics were good in the day as is the voice acting. The urban setting and level design is superb and made more realistic through the street people and the AI which was and still is better than average.

To some extents the graphics still hold up, as does the gameplay. Kingpin is now better than ever thx to a strong community producing patches to bring up the game on multiple levels, squashing bugs and adding additional optional campaign's :)
kingpin003.jpg
"I'm gonna bury those two ************'s" 😈 Some characters are near directly lifted out of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction (1994)...

Game community patch - link
Single player campaigns - link

As for the game it's likely abandonware now as seems to be de-listed on GOG & Steam :( A new remaster recently released which looks to be getting hammered on reviews with many considering the original & community patch far better. Hopefully the remaster will be fixed/patched, equally the original game with V9 patch is arguably better...

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Okay seriously what the hell Lego Fortnite is so good

You guys need to play it, like right now. If you love open world survival crafting games like Valheim and Ark you'll love Lego Fortnite. It's crazy to think this game is free with how good it is. It has more players than the battle royale now, and you earn a stupid amount of XP just from playing it.

• Wow
Reactions: Irishman and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Okay seriously what the hell Lego Fortnite is so good

You guys need to play it, like right now. If you love open world survival crafting games like Valheim and Ark you'll love Lego Fortnite. It's crazy to think this game is free with how good it is. It has more players than the battle royale now, and you earn a stupid amount of XP just from playing it.
Public, private servers, solo?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Dec 2023-
  • Skyrim- About Octoberish, got well established into this for a replay, then Starfield sucked me in. I want to finish this, such a great atmosphere and conflict.​
IMG_3078.jpeg
  • Elex- Spent a week at my Son’s playing this on my lesser travel computer. I enjoyed it. Came home and went back to Starfield. I intend to return to it.
IMG_3076.jpeg
  • Starfield-In a nutshell, it’s impressive, while it sucks in some ways. 🤔
    • The visuals wow me, planets, overall atmosphere is wonderful.
    • Ship building is pretty impressive, but flawed and limited.
    • Space combat, jump into the UC simulator to get up to speed, a lifesaver.
    • Ground combat, fun, forgiving, standard Blizzard F4 stuff, repetitive…
    • I’ve been avoiding most of the main quest line, saving for last. The game has story potential, but in many cases such potential fizziles so far, One example is the terrormorph plot where you stumble into an infected settlement. I spent quite a bit of time sneaking around, actually fearful I was going to get ended, but then it was over, at least at the moment. I have to believe, there is a terrormorph with my name on it in my future, but maybe not. The UC museum, from a story telling aspect impressed me as an optional mechanism to tell a story.
    • The single biggest failure is companion scripting, not one improvement over Fallout 4, such a disappointment and then they added annoying companions as icing on their cake. To clarify, when I say this, give me Cate! :D F4 players know Cate, the bad girl, perfect companion with the Irish accent, who roars in battle, does not like it when you are too nice to others, not Little Miss Goody Two Shoes Sarah, or even Andreja, where they don’t accept your actions, scream and actually flee the scene if you accidentally or on purpose shoot someone by mistake 😝, and you can’t even explain to them, the idea of greater good. 🙄 Other shallow employees who can only spout a greeting, zero meaningful conversation, so disappointing. 😐
IMG_3077.jpeg
  • World of Warships- Play’n it every day. This is more of a strategic Zen game in some ways, know your spacial relationships. Matchmaker is suspect… Free game, haha, feel the Wargaming $$ vacuum sucking at your wallet? ;)
IMG_3079.jpeg
  • World of Tanks- 18 months later play’n it for now. I’m tempted to buy a 10k gold tier 8 Premium tank (Italian Bisante C45), $45. That’s how it goes with tanks… Matchmaker is suspect. Free game, haha, feel the Wargaming 3x $$ vacuum sucking at your wallet? ;)🙃.
IMG_3080.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
But on a server?

Well yes on a server because it need access to your player locker to generate Lego versions of your skins and emotes. Epic's expanding Fortnite outside of the Battle Royale to be like Roblox. A supergame of different genres with one key thing linking it together: your locker. So your favorite skins are usable in any game within Fortnite. It's gone from just the Battle Royale to now a Lego open world survival crafting game, a cart racer with the Rocket League cars, and a 5-lane Rhythm game, and more different games are on the way as there's hints of a first person mode coming, a Fortnite basketball game, and even Fall Guys ported over to Fortnite as the jellybean guy made an appearance during the Big Bang event.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman

Queen6

macrumors G4
Radiophobia 3 (Version 1.12)
1702974606960.png

Just dropped :cool: One of the best, if not the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. full mod game that in many respects surpasses the original. Faithful to Shadow of Chernobyl's main storyline with many new and challenging side quests. Gameplay puts many a modern title to shame.
1.12 is a massive update to all aspects of the game, far too many to list here and the sum of over a decades work by the dev 💯 Radiophobia 3 simply gets better with every revision.

While Radiophobia 3 is noted as a challenging S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game and not entirely for those new to the franchise. The dev has took note of this. The release of v1.12 it's never been easier to edit the values for both the in game economy & difficulty levels so you can fine tune the balance to your preferred play style :)

Free on MODDB see you in the Zone Stalker...

Q-6

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Mostly playing Fallout 76, along with a couple of other Bethesda titles. I finally sprang for Fallout 1st (fool that I am) and am trying out a private server to avoid immersion killing 12 year olds. Stealth and combat are satisfying enough, but the lack of NPCs and meaty quests is nagging me.

Also recently reacquired an Intel Mac, namely the 2017 27" iMac. It's got an 8GB RX580 so should be competent at playing slightly older games, and maybe even some newer ones on low/medium settings. Installing BG3 now to see how it goes...

Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Welp, it's happened. Spaceboi's fulltime Fortnite arc has hit peak as I've already unlocked everything I can from the battle pass, including bonus items. They made getting XP so easy thanks to the new games Lego Fortnite and Fortnite Festival that I was actually able to get all the bonus rewards.

This new season kicks ass and spells great news for the rest of the chapter. Here's a clip of a funny Victory Royale I had this week where I sniped the guy with the Snowball Launcher

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Radiophobia 3, now patched up to version 1.13
ss_gianf_12-24-23_04-50-11_(l01_escape).png

ss_gianf_12-24-23_04-45-40_(l01_escape).png

I went with the optional vanilla NPC models versus the more modern HD models. I simply prefer the look of the original model's as I feel they fit the gameworld better. The HD models although technically better somewhat lack S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s unique style and feel for me. The vanilla models for R3-1.13 have also been reworked for more accurate and improved visuals :)

Radiophobia's dev both knows and appreciates such subtleties count, many of us have been playing since launch in 2007 :cool: Happy Christmas to all and all the best for the coming New Year 🎉

Q-6

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Currently playing Dishonored and really trying to go as low chaos as possible.

Also picked up Sovereign Syndicate - a steampunk narrative RPG that seemed cool ... waiting until I finish Dishonored to start.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (2007) & latest Radiophobia 3 - 1.15 (2024)

SoC - Approaching the Radar, north of the Barrier.
1705757962143.jpeg

SoC - Descending into the depths of Agroprom.
ss_gianf_01-19-24_03-27-23_(l03u_agr_underground).jpg

SoC - Exfil from Radar control. Slow & carefully does it, lot of troops want your head on a stick at this point.
1705775804067.jpeg

R3 - Heli crash site close to the scientists complex in Yantar.
1705757615120.png

R3 - Time to tread carefully in the depths...
1705759050948.png

R3 - A brother lost to the Zone, he wasn't careful enough...
1705776273909.png

I'm on one of my favorite maps on both games "The Radar" a phenomenal gaming experience. The firefights with the Monolith troops are intense and the best I've seen in any single player. The underground levels with mutants are an utter knife fight, especially the retreat to surface as the Monolith hunts you down, only to be confronted with a full on firefight between Monolith and the Military, just need survive. SoC is never a chore as the OG games don't have all the micro-management a lot of the big mods tend to put in now.

Most impressive aspect of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is that it never plays the same as the AI is always gunning the background regardless of the players actions. The story unravels as you progress across the open world of the Zone and it's inherent dangers. Path to your missions are visually in game, the text is just a primer of what's to come.

Played all the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. retail games, many of the mod packs/standalone games and still think the SoC storyline is the best. Definitely Rec Radiophobia 3 (1.15) & Lost Alpha D.C. for fans of SoC. Both full mod games that expand on the original, with varying aspects. Want atmosphere & immersion, you'll be pushed to find better than S.T.A.L.K.E.R...

SoC - Pripyat lays ahead, serverly dissadvanaged as no exosuit buts that's the chalenge of this particular playthrough...
1705779746412.jpeg

Unsure if can advance to the NPP without, as ever with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it will unravel in time....

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Still with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Modded graphics a touch; environment, NPC's weapons. Not looking to reinvent, more to enhance on the original game with no alteration to game play.

OG XRay game engine is holding up well with the updated textures. Latest OGSR game engine has a lot more headroom and features...:)

OG SoC on the XRay engine, new lighting & textures.
1706065459610.png

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn and txa1265

Queen6

macrumors G4
Still deep into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like that's a surprise to anyone who reads or posts here..LOL.

Shadow of Chernobyl on the OG XRay engine pushed to it's limits, all the toy's turned on - Freedom Hit Squad about to do a number on Duty. Updated graphics & visual effects.
ss_gianf_01-22-24_06-59-42_(l07_military).jpg

Shadow of Chernobyl on the latest OGSR game engine - Sunrise in Cordon. Still a WIP has issues that need to be resolved, but it shines and has a lot of potential. New engine, graphics & visual effects.
ss_gianf_01-26-24_04-52-27_(l01_escape).png

Radiophobia 3 (1.15) - Hardcore S.T.A.L.K.E.R. experience I kid you not...
ss_gianf_12-30-23_08-41-11_(l03u_agr_underground).png

Absolutely bad ass game that takes no prisoners, but what a rush to play...

What I love about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it's like your favorite book, but the story is dynamic. Latest play Fox was killed by Bandits, that's never happened before, will have to see the impact to the main story line. Is stock SoC with boosted graphics, no changes to the game's scripts.

On the near horizon is a heavily modded Call of Pripyat, new engine & graphics will hopefully shed some light on Shadow of Chernobyl's issue's as without the ZRP community stability patch it's pretty broken and typically the ZRP patch is not compatible with the new OGSR engine...

Waiting on the release of new engine & graphics package for Doom 3 BFG, Doom 3 itself is pretty much perfected for both Mac & PC including Apple Silicon. Quality work to say the very least...

Doom 3 in 2024 like you've never seen before...
Doom 3 Hell Knight - Macworld 2001 Preview.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn and Irishman

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Jan2024-
  • Starfield- Set aside, main plot left unfinished. The first game I paid $70, but once I got past the glitter, DISSAPOINTED. A lot of time and effort was put into this game by the dev, but regarding the social interaction, I was expecting more, A LOT more, and sub-par social interaction, an expectations issue on my part, ruined it for me. Maybe all the other aspects of the game, planets, space travel, ship building, got the better of Bethesda, and they thought they could get by with decades old social mechanics with boring scripted dialogs, and some annoying companion's. GIVE ME Kate, Piper, Curie, Deacon, Nick, or even Paladin Danse! :) Besides the dated, ridiculously stilted interactions you can have with companions in a technically cutting edge 2023 game, I have no idea of why things went so wrong in the writing of Starfield Companions. This would be a great place to stick some focused Chat GBT.🤔
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty DLC- While I enjoy the environment, I’m irritated that they plugged this into the middle of the CP2077 story, and consequently, I’m not as vested in it as I was with the main story line that I have completed 3 times previously. 🤔 If you read about it, you’l hear comments like “finish the main story first, and then go back and do Phantom Liberty, from a saved game, or with a fresh start. This indicates poor, short cut, financial decision making on the Dev’s part.
    Along the watchtower ending (original game), I head out with the Nomads, along with my girl friend, for a fresh start, maybe Phoenix, and yes, maybe a short life, if no solution is found and the relic finishes the job in my head, but I like Johnny so que sera.
    They should have added this DLC story to a new city, new location, yes that would be a big developmental investment, but from what I’ve read as is, the chance of getting the cure is:
    a downer in many aspects, lose your friends, your girl friend, your abilities, be just someone one in the crowd, and most importantly it has the potential of short changing the original story if you accept the cure.
    🤔
  • World of Warships- Still plugging along with, enjoying this.
  • World of Tanks- I tried to return, but am preferring WoWS.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is anyone else giving PalWorld a try?
Some guild mates, of which I am no longer active with are playing it, but my first glance at the game did not excite me with all the pokemons. How about you? Another variation of a survival, crafting game?

I read this review on Steam by Drazner:
So it's a couple of days after release. Sale numbers have just hit 4 million. I've played nearly 30 hours since its release, which is a heavy burn, even for me. I've been enjoying it. Everybody's talking about it. My friends are playing it.

In spite of this, I genuinely don't recommend it. It's nothing to do with the various complaints about the developer having dealt with AI or having abandoned previous titles. It's also not about the derivative nature of the game's aesthetic - it knows what it is, and I see no reason to harshly judge a game for hitting its intended target. It's also not because of the natural early access jank - I have a reasonable amount of confidence that the AI and geometry bugs will be ironed out, and that certain somewhat temperamental systems like base building will get a solid overhaul.

If you're the kind of person who'd be really into this game, you've probably already bought it. This review is one part warning for the latecomers, one part critical analysis, and one part prediction of the future. Also, for the duration of this review, I will be referring to the creatures as Pokemon, because I have little to no tolerance for pretense.

I believe Palworld will be a flash in the pan. A blinding flash, to be sure. It's sold 4 million copies so far, and I won't be surprised if it hits 5. I genuinely believe it'll start a mass rush of open world monster taming games in the industry in the same way Minecraft put destructible terrain on the menu and Stardew Valley seemed to get everybody into farming. But I don't think it'll have any real staying power in and of itself.

Palworld is, fundamentally, an open world survival crafting game similar to Ark or Rust. You're in a world, you punch some trees to get wood for a workbench, you build a little outpost and start picking away at a tech tree. It's also got a bit of that Breath of the Wild style climbing and gliding going on. The main gimmick is that there are Pokemon. And, honestly, that much is a really fun and cool. There's a very definitive moment just after you first craft a bow where you first nail a Pokemon to the floor before belting it in the face with a Pokeball. That, right there, is the immediately satisfying interaction that you never knew you wanted. It's quick, it's snappy, it feels good. That's basically the "hook" - Pokemon dropped into a wilderness survival game, and it plays out exactly as you'd expect.

In game, your Pokemon serve three main purposes. The first is what you'd expect from a game like this - they're combat pets. They operate fairly autonomously with little room for direct control. They're more akin to an MMO pet than an actual Pokemon. The second is as a sort of crafting automation tool - You have various crafting stations, and you can release Pokemon into your base to have them craft items or harvest resources and whatnot. They require some minor babysitting, but they generally just do work where available. Their third and final purpose is as mobility tools - ground mounts, flying mounts, aquatic mounts, and also an automatic glider replacement.

The problem with these kinds of games, and Palworld in particular, is the inevitable loss of momentum. There's a moment at which the game stops surprising you, and Palworld hits that point remarkably quickly. The Pokemon themselves perfectly capture the essence of the real thing, which is to say they haven't been interesting since I was a teenager. The world itself does not feel especially alive. An idle glance over the tech tree just after the early game will eliminate most of your curiosity. The combat is remarkably shallow. Guns are cool, but shooting Bootleg Xerneas in the face while dodge-rolling fireballs is only so compelling after the first couple of instances. The level grind will also start getting pretty tedious past a certain point. If you're playing with friends, these issues won't be felt quite as harshly, but I'm afraid Pocket Pair don't get to take credit for my friend's insightful philosophical musings regarding the nature of goats.

I don't think it'll be long before other people start noticing these issues, and I don't think these are problems that will be fixed in any meaningful way. When it comes to early access, there are two kinds of issues that can be resolved: Lack of content, and lack of stability. But the fundamental underlying structure being poor? That's not something you can really fix after sales begin.

I don't regret buying the game, I don't regret playing it, and I'll probably get a bit more fun out of it yet. I'll probably even pick it back up again later after some updates hit. But if it's a couple of months after release, things have gotten quiet, and you're reading this because the initial hype wave didn't ensnare you and you're wondering if it's worth the purchase? Honestly, you could probably give it a pass and not miss out on anything remarkable.

I look forward to seeing if time will make a fool out of me.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Some guild mates, of which I am no longer active with are playing it, but my first glance at the game did not excite me with all the pokemons. How about you? Another variation of a survival, crafting game?

I read this review on Steam by Drazner:
So it's a couple of days after release. Sale numbers have just hit 4 million. I've played nearly 30 hours since its release, which is a heavy burn, even for me. I've been enjoying it. Everybody's talking about it. My friends are playing it.

In spite of this, I genuinely don't recommend it. It's nothing to do with the various complaints about the developer having dealt with AI or having abandoned previous titles. It's also not about the derivative nature of the game's aesthetic - it knows what it is, and I see no reason to harshly judge a game for hitting its intended target. It's also not because of the natural early access jank - I have a reasonable amount of confidence that the AI and geometry bugs will be ironed out, and that certain somewhat temperamental systems like base building will get a solid overhaul.

If you're the kind of person who'd be really into this game, you've probably already bought it. This review is one part warning for the latecomers, one part critical analysis, and one part prediction of the future. Also, for the duration of this review, I will be referring to the creatures as Pokemon, because I have little to no tolerance for pretense.

I believe Palworld will be a flash in the pan. A blinding flash, to be sure. It's sold 4 million copies so far, and I won't be surprised if it hits 5. I genuinely believe it'll start a mass rush of open world monster taming games in the industry in the same way Minecraft put destructible terrain on the menu and Stardew Valley seemed to get everybody into farming. But I don't think it'll have any real staying power in and of itself.

Palworld is, fundamentally, an open world survival crafting game similar to Ark or Rust. You're in a world, you punch some trees to get wood for a workbench, you build a little outpost and start picking away at a tech tree. It's also got a bit of that Breath of the Wild style climbing and gliding going on. The main gimmick is that there are Pokemon. And, honestly, that much is a really fun and cool. There's a very definitive moment just after you first craft a bow where you first nail a Pokemon to the floor before belting it in the face with a Pokeball. That, right there, is the immediately satisfying interaction that you never knew you wanted. It's quick, it's snappy, it feels good. That's basically the "hook" - Pokemon dropped into a wilderness survival game, and it plays out exactly as you'd expect.

In game, your Pokemon serve three main purposes. The first is what you'd expect from a game like this - they're combat pets. They operate fairly autonomously with little room for direct control. They're more akin to an MMO pet than an actual Pokemon. The second is as a sort of crafting automation tool - You have various crafting stations, and you can release Pokemon into your base to have them craft items or harvest resources and whatnot. They require some minor babysitting, but they generally just do work where available. Their third and final purpose is as mobility tools - ground mounts, flying mounts, aquatic mounts, and also an automatic glider replacement.

The problem with these kinds of games, and Palworld in particular, is the inevitable loss of momentum. There's a moment at which the game stops surprising you, and Palworld hits that point remarkably quickly. The Pokemon themselves perfectly capture the essence of the real thing, which is to say they haven't been interesting since I was a teenager. The world itself does not feel especially alive. An idle glance over the tech tree just after the early game will eliminate most of your curiosity. The combat is remarkably shallow. Guns are cool, but shooting Bootleg Xerneas in the face while dodge-rolling fireballs is only so compelling after the first couple of instances. The level grind will also start getting pretty tedious past a certain point. If you're playing with friends, these issues won't be felt quite as harshly, but I'm afraid Pocket Pair don't get to take credit for my friend's insightful philosophical musings regarding the nature of goats.

I don't think it'll be long before other people start noticing these issues, and I don't think these are problems that will be fixed in any meaningful way. When it comes to early access, there are two kinds of issues that can be resolved: Lack of content, and lack of stability. But the fundamental underlying structure being poor? That's not something you can really fix after sales begin.

I don't regret buying the game, I don't regret playing it, and I'll probably get a bit more fun out of it yet. I'll probably even pick it back up again later after some updates hit. But if it's a couple of months after release, things have gotten quiet, and you're reading this because the initial hype wave didn't ensnare you and you're wondering if it's worth the purchase? Honestly, you could probably give it a pass and not miss out on anything remarkable.

I look forward to seeing if time will make a fool out of me.
It does get repetitive and slightly boring pretty fast. I haven't even gotten to take on any Alpha Pals yet cause they are higher level and/or do way more damage than me.

txa1265

Suspended
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Is anyone else giving PalWorld a try?
@Spaceboi Scaphandre has talked about it quite a bit in other threads.

Personally I don't care that much about Pokemon, so what is essentially a 'barely legal' Pokemon knock-off with guns ... definitely no interest.

I started playing Sovereign Syndicate - non-combat RPG with an interesting narrative design similar to Disco Elysium and skill checks based on Tarot cards rather than dice. Still early on, will be interesting to see how it goes!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
@Spaceboi Scaphandre has talked about it quite a bit in other threads.

Personally I don't care that much about Pokemon, so what is essentially a 'barely legal' Pokemon knock-off with guns ... definitely no interest.

I started playing Sovereign Syndicate - non-combat RPG with an interesting narrative design similar to Disco Elysium and skill checks based on Tarot cards rather than dice. Still early on, will be interesting to see how it goes!

The funny thing is Palworld plays nothing like Pokemon. It plays more like Ark Survival Evolved, but instead of dinosaurs it's Pokemon like creatures, creatures you command to do your bidding, no matter what.

And that's probably why I love it so much. I used to love Pokemon, but the franchise in the past 12 years went in a direction I did not like and it only got worse and worse overtime. Combined with it's horrible fanbase, Pokemon is just a joke now, a joke that still makes stupid amount of money because idiots keep buying this slop

So Palworld is a massive breath of fresh air, taking the monster catcher genre in a different direction we haven't seen before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.