What games do you want demo'd on the Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by St. G, Jan 15, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2010
    There are a lot of questions about will this or that game run on the Air.

As I a) have an Air b) am a gamer and c) am a videographer, I'm in a postition to do the testing and post the resulting video for others to see.

So help me start a list of games that people are curious about.
  2. macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Starcraft 2 medium and low settings native res.
    Counter strike source
    Left for dead
    Wow (make a trail)

Now I don't expect you to showcase all of this but some would been great. Debating I I want a new mbp or MBA.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Call of Duty 4 is one im pretty interested in

I also don't expect you to make videos, but some benchmarks would be nice :)
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 29, 2010
    Someone already did that one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFXwJQE-xqE

I'm not sure where my CoD4 disc has gotten off to, in any case.

5. macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2011
    XBOX is 199 and done...all games work, xbox LIVE, etc, serious games are better off left on consoles or gaming PCs, but I agree its interested to see if the macs can actually run that game.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 29, 2010
    Cool story bro.

7. 2IS, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the MBA be a dedicated gaming machine, however it would be nice to know what it's capable of for those occasions that you're out of town, in a hotel room and want to play a quick game. I'm mainly a PC gamer myself and have about dozens of games through Steam but have found the MBA to be adequate enough for games like CSS or even TF2. It's certainly never going to replace my desktop for games, but I can't exactly take my desktop with me everywhere I go.
  8. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
  9. macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2011
    Counterstrike Source runs fine on my ultimate 11", I would also like to play Battlefield 2.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    South Pole
  11. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 29, 2010
    Exporting Borderlands and Civ 5 demos now. My fiancee and I tried to go to the roller derby, but it was too crowded to see anything, so my Saturday night is suddenly free. SHould have them uploaded in a couple of hours. It takes a while for CS5 to chew through HD footage on the Q6600/GeForce 8800GTS I've got in this machine.
  12. macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2011
    Can you post some videos of multiplayer on games like Team Fortress 2 and maybe the COD4/MW2 or blackops. I have seen lots of videos of single player games, but not of multiplayer. I have used an Air at my work (1.4ghz, 2gb) and played Team Fortress 2 in OSX. I had about 25FPS when spawning and low action, when there was a lot going on it dropped to an average of 10 to 15 FPS and was rendered unplayable. i want to know how much difference the 4GB makes against the gameplay. Any info would be great please.
  13. macrumors member

Jan 25, 2010
    Is 2GB ram enough for most games? like the newer games coming this year. Like Rift, GW2, Diablo 3, etc...
  14. macrumors member

Jun 26, 2010
    Dragon Age
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

15. macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2009
    I want to know if the Air can run Crysis. I'm want to get Crysis 2, so the most comparable benchmark would be running the Crysis. Wouldn't mind running everything on low.
  16. size100, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2010
    im running starcraft2 in osx. It struggles when things happen. I'll do more testing later. I'm running lots of low and medium shaders because from low to medium shaders is a huge graphic update.

I'm not sure if its worth it to install it on windows 7. I'd like some comparison benchmarks before I use the bandwidth to d/l the client.

If ya post a replay i'll tell you if it can play at certain settings.
  17. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    I don't think most current games would run too well on 2GB of ram personally.
  18. macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Quite a few do. Starcraft uses like 1.1gb though so it gets iffy. Fallout3 and Fallout NV def good enough with 2gb.
  19. macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2008
    im using new 13"MBA 1.86 2GB and plays COD4 flawlessly. @1440X900 AA off

20. macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2011
    @ ST G,

After watching all of your video's I have been messing around with our display model 1.4ghz 11inch Air with 2gb RAM at my work and thought i would try a version of Modern Warfare 2 in bootcamp. I turned AA and sync every frame OFF, soften smoke edges OFF and bullet impacts OFF, textures on automatic and everything else turned on, then jumped into a multiplayer game. I was getting no lower than 35 FPS, often an average of 45FPS. And it was really smooth, no lag.
    Just thought i would let you know as i was quite suprised with the outcome, especially with only 2GB RAM. If you have a copy of MW2, give it a try on both single player and multiplayer and see if you get the same result, i would be interested to know your opinion!
  21. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2010
    hmm im running TF2 on the 11" ultimate and it runs smoothly all the time with most of the settings on high
  22. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2009
    World of Warcraft. If it hasn't been done already.

Thank you.
  23. macrumors member

Jun 26, 2010
  24. macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2010
    Check youtube.
  25. macrumors member

Jan 15, 2010
    Gold Coast, Australia

Black Ops
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    GTA IV

Maybe; Sniper Ghost Warrior

If you would like to, I can lend you my Steam account for the review process.