Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huddy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Ok I have a somewhat silly question concerning the video card performance on the retina iMac.

The only game my wife and I play is WoW (I play Starcraft and Diablo from time to time as well). How do you guys think the upgraded video card option will run WoW at a lower resolution than the native resolution on the new iMac? I'm hoping that since WoW isn't cutting edge by any means combined with running it at a lower than native resolution we will be able to play WoW relatively smoothly.

Right now we use our 2012 rMBP's to play and they run the game just fine. Some settings turned up a bit but mostly medium settings with a slightly lower than native resolution....hoping to be able to play the game with settings turned up a bit from where we play at right now and am just curious if the consensus would agree whether or not we might be able to with the new iMacs.

Until more benchmarks are released and we see how AMD drivers perform in OSX one can only guess at this point. Having said that you'll have no problems maxing Blizzard games out on this system at 1080p, and you may be able to do something similar at 1440p but we'll know more over the coming days.

I'd wait to see how the display performs for gaming before jumping in, that new custom display chip could lead to increased response times on the display we just don't know enough about it yet.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Just read any review of the Radeon HD 285. They should mention what the full Tonga is.

It also makes sense that we haven't seen the release of the desktop Radeon HD 285X if they all are going to Apple.
Why would any review of 285 know anything about 295 since it was unannounced when those reviews were written?

You are probably right, but the point is that those are assumptions until proven.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Why would any review of 285 know anything about 295 since it was unannounced when those reviews were written?

You are probably right, but the point is that those are assumptions until proven.

The desktop 285 is a crippled Tonga Core, the future desktop GPU 285x will have a full tonga XT core.

The mobile m295x is supposedly a full Tonga XT core (aka 285x). Now there may still be differences in clock speed, memory speeds, etc but that is the basis for estimating performance on the m295x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.