Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Is there going to be a markdown on any of the previous displays now that the new ones are out. I couldn't find any information on apple.com or where to even purchase them. Are they phased out now? And wouldn't a new product mean a lower price on the previous product? I cant imagine theyd sell a previous 23in display with the "outdated" frame for the same price as the "new" aluminum frame. Any thoughts?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
goodwill said:
Is there going to be a markdown on any of the previous displays now that the new ones are out. I couldn't find any information on apple.com or where to even purchase them. Are they phased out now? And wouldn't a new product mean a lower price on the previous product? I cant imagine theyd sell a previous 23in display with the "outdated" from for the same price as the "new" aluminum frame. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that when apple updates their product line, the old versions are no longer sold except possibly as refurb units. Resellers might sitll have them, but apple.com won't.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
My guess is they are pretty much all sold to resellers, with Apple keeping maybe only enough to make warranty replacements. The resellers will decide whether to discount them or keep the price high for those who prefer the older design's looks and don't want to look forward a few years to when they'll want to buy a 3+GHz Mac without an ADC output.

Adapter to plug a DVI monitor into an ADC Mac: $25
Adapter to plug an ADC monitor into a DVI Mac: $100

I seem to recall rumors here for a while that there weren't that many old-school LCDs left anyway.

Crikey

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
Crikey said:
I seem to recall rumors here for a while that there weren't that many old-school LCDs left anyway.

Crikey

I think thats fascinating. Smart on Apple's part. It turns into an issue of supply and demand now regarding price I am sure. I think that I, like many people, were hoping for a drop in price of the 20in and 23in.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
they will show up in the apple.com refurb section - which includes sections units that are "brand new." they will be sold at a slight discount from the original prices.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Darn

I was hoping to pick up an old 20'' display for fairly cheap. (read about the price of the 17'') But I guess that won't be happening. I really like the look of the older LCD's than the newer ones, and it is more good enough for my needs. I scourage some websited and see what I can find.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
they could've stripped the LCD units from the 20" and 23" and stick them in the new alumnum enclosures. is that possible?

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
That's exactly what I was thinking before I got down to your post. They're the same rez, I don't see why not, especially when you're looking at the part that is 95% of the cost of the unit. By the way, that 95% isn't taken from anything, it's just a logical ballpark figure.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
i wonder if 10 years from now if we'll all be going "remember when" with these displays. i think they set an industry standard for a beautiful display. not only were they flat screen, they were flat screen with an attractive appearance. in 25 years theyll either be .25 cents on ebay or 2500.00 just for the antique of it haha.

macfan76

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2004
Ryan1524 said:
they could've stripped the LCD units from the 20" and 23" and stick them in the new alumnum enclosures. is that possible?
Geeze, more alumnum, first powerbooks, then g5, iSight, now these monitors. Apple must be at the alumnum factory all the time... :D now we just need some alumnum keyboards and mouse!

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
Ryan1524 said:

The new displays have almost no rim around the screen. So I don't think that you can just take the lcd panel and fit it into the new aluminum casing. But since only the "older" 17" is the only one still sold at apple.com, maybe....

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ryan1524 said:

I don't think so. The tech specs on the new ones and the old ones are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.