Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Unless it's a regional thing, as of today, Gmail still works for me in a TenFourFoxBox (with a mobile phone user agent) on my G3 iBook - as do a few other boxes....

Gmail.jpg

boxes2.jpg

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2022
Yeah, Google has invested great time into developing web applications compatible on a wide range of devices and browsers. Visit google.com on Netscape Navigator, and it'll work fine!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah, Google has invested great time into developing web applications compatible on a wide range of devices and browsers. Visit google.com on Netscape Navigator, and it'll work fine!
It will...but you're soon stuck if you search and click any link ;)

I brought it up because people have been saying they can no longer access gmail.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Today - like yesterday, the day before and tomorrow, I didn’t install…

“Shuriken The 2022 version of Mac OS X Tiger - it’s a herculean effort that has made breakthrough resource optimizations, fixed several bugs that were never addressed by Apple and adds quality-of-life improvements to the now 16-year-old operating system.”

So says yet another enthusiastic million+ subscribers Youtube Tech Expert - who also goes onto to do nothing with Shuriken that he couldn’t have already done with Tiger.

Maybe one day these folks might demo TFF/InterWeb & boxes, PPCMC7, Links2, Macports or Tiger/Leopard.sh and really show people PowerPC Macs doing something out of the ordinary.

“Shuriken The 2022 version of Mac OS X Tiger - it’s a herculean effort that has made breakthrough resource optimizations, fixed several bugs that were never addressed by Apple and adds quality-of-life improvements to the now 16-year-old operating system.”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: 🙃

(A six-pack of, you know, and a chaser for the most predictable reaction one might expect from me.)

In all fairness to at least 1 of them, AR did do videos on tenfivetube and interwebppc/tenfourfox a few years back. The rest have no clue about the gems that have come from this forum.

Indexing of the forums on search engines seems to be fairly good overall. I sometimes use DDG before the MR forums search to find something in the syntax I remember an old topic. This leaves me optimistic people will come across the stuff we work on if they’re looking for it.

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
This morning I've spent the first day of my holiday, using my Macbook (A1181) to look for tourist things to do. Thankfully TenFourFox still works well enough to bring up the pages and show me what I need. I only brought it for distraction free writing, but the other half had other ideas lol.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Technically it's yesterday, but I swing by my workplace's satellite warehouse and picked up a couple of goodies for my retro Apple collection!
E5163423-AB9B-4D27-867B-D200E72634D3_1_201_a.jpeg

A Titanium PowerBook G4! It's the 1 GHz model from late 2002, with SuperDrive DVD burner, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics with 64 MB VRAM, and even 1 GB of RAM already included! It doesn't have a hard drive, as you can tell by the flashing question mark folder icon (but when I acquire an older Mac and see it boot up to that, it's always a good sign for me!) But I plan to get another IDE to mSATA adapter, put an SSD on it, and install Mac OS 9.2, maybe even make it a dual-boot system also running an older version of Mac OS X Tiger (Panther doesn't work well with our home Internet connection, but I could give it a shot... after all, my Mac OS 9 systems can get online via Ethernet.) As for the iLife suite, I plan to run iLife '04 on the Mac OS X partition, in honor of its' 20th anniversary this year, and because I've already got iLife '06 installed on my PowerMac G4 MDD tower and my 17" aluminum PowerMac G4 laptop. And of course I'll put Microsoft Office 2004 on it, and those old games from my childhood that are Mac compatible.

FA6E3155-C906-4991-A309-FC35F653D01C_1_201_a.jpeg

I also picked up an acrylic Apple LCD display with ADC connection! I've been looking for one for a while. It's a 17" Studio Display, and aside from a couple scratches on the screen I can overlook, it works pretty well! It's missing the back stand, but I'm sure I can find a replacement stand for it if I search around online. Until then I've got it propped up against a few things when it's hooked up to my Mirror Drive Door G4 tower. ADC is pretty convenient, how I don't need to plug in an extra AC power cord.
My college's video editing lab used such displays with their old PowerMac G4 towers, until they replaced them in the summer of 2009 with aluminum 24" iMacs.

maître

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Russia
Since I use PowerPC Macs on weekdays sometimes, this week I decided to give Leopard a second chance, so I set up a 1.5 GHz 12" PBG4 with Leopard on an SSD, fastest setup I have. Hopefully I get to install some ports, frankly I never got to that stage on my Tiger machine.
Also for lulz, I installed Windows NT 4.0 inside Virtual PC, so that I could have a calendar, a clock, a control panel, and can't you believe it?! Reversi!
Reversi!.png

Since I use PowerPC Macs on weekdays sometimes, this week I decided to give Leopard a second chance, so I set up a 1.5 GHz 12" PBG4 with Leopard on an SSD, fastest setup I have. Hopefully I get to install some ports, frankly I never got to that stage on my Tiger machine.
Also for lulz, I installed Windows NT 4.0 inside Virtual PC, so that I could have a calendar, a clock, a control panel, and can't you believe it?! Reversi!
View attachment 2360723

Very nice. I also love to see iTunes 10 in this mix, just doing its thing. :D

Reactions: maître

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Pulled my barn find PB 5300cs out of its bag to find out why it suddenly started shrieking and hissing like a kettle. This was the brand new/never opened model built for the extended repair program, but never put into service.

The only way I could stop it ws pulling the battery out. It wouldn't boot, and appeared dead apart from the noise.

Plugged it in, and it booted up and ran perfectly. Battery shows full charge.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
My ATA-to-mSATA adapter came in today!
F74819A4-8FFE-4549-A9C2-D23BB919CFA5_1_201_a.jpeg

Here I'm installing it into my Titanium PowerBook G4. To recap, it's the 1 GHz version, and it even already came with 1 GB of RAM installed! I may need to replace the battery, though.

B815AC6C-3BE6-451D-9DA4-C6A2B12979E0_1_201_a.jpeg

Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 on the drive!

053437B5-6B7D-48D2-91E4-F436B07DA690_1_201_a.jpeg

Here I've also got it in Target Disk Mode for transferring personal and installer files from my MDD PowerMac G4 tower.

10AA38BD-F07C-470C-B93D-C2F885F9BA55_1_201_a.jpeg

Setting up my iTunes 2 library!

I will continue playing around with Mac OS 9 for a bit before I try installing a Mac OS X system on it. I want to try using Panther again, provided I can get it online via the Ethernet connection. (My MDD G4 and my iMac G3 can get online via Ethernet, so I wonder what the problem is...)

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
A couple of observations.

My ATA-to-mSATA adapter came in today!
Leaving that adapter wobbling around without any mechanical support is not the best idea, tbh.

EDIT. In any case, save the original HDD mounting screws and rubber grommets. If you ever decide to sell your TiBook, the next owner might be very upset if they're missing. (I've already been on two occasions with 2nd hand Al PB G4s).
EDIT 2. I tend to stick to full size 'white box' ATA to mSATA or ATA to M.2 adapters. Or 'red board' DeLock ATA to mSATA adapters for that extra ~5MB/sec speed.

Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 on the drive!
That's 9.2.2 for 'unsupported' Macs. TiBooks do not require hacked Mac OS ROM.

But otherwise, congratulations! It's nice looking TiBook.

Last edited:
Reactions: dandeco

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
I'm going to call this a "What did I do recently that involved an old mac?" post :)

So I was recently on holiday, took my old intel core duo macbook with me for writing and a little web browsing. Before the holiday however, a friend and I upgraded my recently acquired Quicksilver with a dual core Giga Designs G4. 1.8ghz. Needless to say it fly's compared to the single G4 733mhz that was in it originally.

Since getting back home I've been sick as a dog, but planning to muck around with my QS when I can stop coughing and sneezing. Until now my 1ghz G4 B&W has been my main desktop mac, but my friend gifted my a QS as he said it would be leagues better. Less picky about memory, faster graphics with the AGP port. Hopefully I can hook up my DV video camera via firewire and rip off the clips I recorded while on holiday.

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
That's 9.2.2 for 'unsupported' Macs. TiBooks do not require hacked Mac OS ROM.
It still helps with installing; I did this with my A1025 when I got it in.

A lot of these later OS9-capable machines require specific install media to install with (you can't use just any OS9 install media). Some of these install media require you install OSX as well, which to some people isn't wanted.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
It was a couple days ago, but on my 17" aluminum PowerBook G4, I used Snaps Pro X to record some animations I made on "The Simpsons Cartoon Studio" (running via Classic)...
83381CE5-0996-44A2-9746-08CC362865B0_1_105_c.jpeg

(Yeah, I plan to soon replace that Arabic keyboard with an English one.)

Here are the actual cartoons, after loading the footage into Final Cut Pro on my M1 MacBook Air, trimming the footage and re-syncing the audio...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.