Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
How are you doing this?

Im 99% sure while I was messing with the QuickTime streaming in PPCMC that I was able to get an audio only stream by selecting one of the audio only formats when requesting the video URL.

Out of the box Tiger and Leopard can't play Youtube audio streams in isolation, with my solution MPlayer takes the 360P video and plays it without video.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Well, I'll be damned. It works, with some caveats...

Picture 1.png

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Today, I played some old Mac OS 9 games on my Titanium PowerBook G4 for a bit. I enjoyed playing some old favorites: Apeiron, PacMac, and Crashball. :)

Later in the day I checked out the inside of my iMac G5 since I realized I never did that. Had to check on the caps, they're all good!

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Oh well, once those are fixed and or implemented then I may try it. Wonder if 10.6.8 will work ?

The builds that are being tested are pre-GM builds before they stopped compiling PPC support in. Globally updating the OS most likely won't work, but maybe it could be updated in bits and pieces. Time will tell.

Reactions: Macbookprodude

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2020
Today? Dont you mean every day? ;)
My dual G5 and mini G4 are my main machines, even though I have some newer Intel's. Those just aren't fun. I use my intel iMac for printing wirelessly, and its other use is as a "TV" using PlutoTV app. Otherwise it sits powered off 95% of the time.

My dual G5 is used for development and daily browsing, YouTube, Twitch, email, irc etc. The mini G4, pretty much the same. If the dual is compiling stuff I let it be and use the mini for the above. The PowerBook sits in the living room as my couch computer, which also handles the above, and the keyboard is soooo much nicer than my MacBook's. I really only use my Intel Macs for devel/building arctic fox, spiderweb and interweb for that platform. Otherwise I always choose one of the ppc Macs first.

Cheers
i want to know if I can use an 1.44 model eMac for web browsing without It freezing up all the time like my old xp pentium iii toshiba. It’s my only option for getting a desktop machine right now.

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2020
With LeopardWebkit and tweaked TenFourFox you should be fine.
Can you confirm that reddit will work as well as Facebook/Twitter as those are the websites I use most. I Wouldn’t do streaming video as I have my tv and there’s no way something like this could handle streaming sites.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can you confirm that reddit will work as well as Facebook/Twitter as those are the websites I use most. I Wouldn’t do streaming video as I have my tv and there’s no way something like this could handle streaming sites.

For Reddit you can visit the older interface which is easier to render on old machines: https://old.reddit.com

Facebook and Twitter also have basic variants for phones so you are fine there.

Streaming like Netflix is totally out of the question because of DRM not entirely because of lack of power - Youtube however is well within the eMac's reach.

Reactions: Fcr-900

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2020
For Reddit you can visit the older interface which is easier to render on old machines: https://old.reddit.com

Facebook and Twitter also have basic variants for phones so you are fine there.

Streaming like Netflix is totally out of the question because of DRM not entirely because of lack of power - Youtube however is well within the eMac's reach.
Thanks! I will get the machine tommorow, I got it for free from a friend and wanted to make sure this thing wouldn’t be a 50 pound paperweight. And I found a thread about YouTube on iBook which is good, although I still don’t plan to use it for that.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I'm doing some web surfing on my Mini atm. I also use it to listen to some music hosted by my Power Mac. Yesterday I watched some anime on my iBook. :)

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
As you've mentioned in your other post/other thread: you have a smartphone for video-streaming. So make yourself comfortable that this is the best option for Facebook/Twitter/Dropbox etc too (I have no knowledge about reddit).
As @Dronecatcher already mentioned: any video-streaming or watching highly compressed high-res video is absolutely out of reach of that eMac.
Basically a Smartphone may serve as the hub for all Cloud-services (except webDAV and IMAP) in combination with the eMac.
[automerge]1588629192[/automerge]
So the G4 really is better than the pentium iii in 2020 for web browsing?
I don't know much about the option of pentium iii and the opion of the best available OS, but an eMac can certainly do a lot of contemporary stuff - except high-res/streaming-video and most cloud-services (except from browser-based access). webDAV/FileSharing/ScreenSharing/VNC is fine.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
So the G4 really is better than the pentium iii in 2020 for web browsing?
I'd say that depends. I'm using TenFourFox with FoxPEP and uMatrix on a 1.42GHz Mini with 1GB of RAM. I'd say a PIII could probably do better in some scenarios, it really all depends on the configuration of your system as a whole. I don't have any PIII system to test with, but I can say that my Mini G4 does better than my 733MHz Power Mac G4 despite the latter having 512GB more memory.

In the end it all comes down to system configuration, software (browser, OS, and browser extension) choice, and how much waiting you're willing to put up with ;)

Also an important thing to note is that the PIII and the G4 are entirely different architectures, so it's hard to do a direct comparison between them.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Nothing special really - I used the blue and white to clone a couple OSX images off my NAS. Dropped a 1T drive in it to check large drive support through the weibetech flashed sil3512 and it's there. Humdrum stuff really, nothing fancy schmancy like coaxing snowleopard onto a PPC box :D

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Nothing special really - I used the blue and white to clone a couple OSX images off my NAS. Dropped a 1T drive in it to check large drive support through the weibetech flashed sil3512 and it's there. Humdrum stuff really, nothing fancy schmancy like getting snowleopard on a PPC box :D
Nice! :D
I wanna try that SL on a PPC box thing out once I finish exams ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’m not in any big hurry to get SL on a ppc box as I have a partition of it on my mp1,1. Once the process gets fast n painless (if it ever does) I’ll dive on in. :apple:
I have 10.6.8 on a 2006 17" MBP, modified to a dark theme via bits and pieces. Normally, I'd be all over this SL on PowerPC, but from what I can determine, this is basically a lot of trouble to install what is really just an SL theme on top of Leopard.

If I'm proven wrong and we can eventually get iCloud and Apple's other services (including the App store) and say, XtraFinder, running on PowerPC then I may jump onboard. But like you, I'm not interested in expending all that effort right now when I've already got a Mac that can do that.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Also an important thing to note is that the PIII and the G4 are entirely different architectures, so it's hard to do a direct comparison between them.
Easy solution to that problem. Install an operating system that they're both capable of running (GNU/Linux) and do some benchmarking. Off of the top of my head, I'd be willing to wager that, generally speaking, a 1.4 GHz Tualatin is a tad bit faster than a G4 @ the same clockspeed, but not by much.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
For whatever it's worth, my IntelliStation gets a GB 2 score of 432 in Debian 10.3 w/ i3, and 440 in Win XP + SP4. Either one about equivalent to a 733 Digital Audio (429), or a DP 450 Gigabit (449). Going over the full tests, the 1 GB PC-100 memory seems to be the main bottleneck of this machine, the memory and stream tests achieving scores several hundred points lower than the processors' integer and floating point tests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.