Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J2funny

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I wouldn't care if the iPhone 6 had the same size screen as the iPhone 5. We don't need a bigger screen.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
As someone coming from the HTC One the screen size is what I miss the most. I'd be much more likely to stay with the iPhone if the next one is around 4.3 to 4.5 inches with a small bezel to keep the overall dimensions close.

Browsing feels cramped, and when I use an app that I have on both (e.g. rdio), those too also just feel a bit more cramped and constrained on the iPhone (although they do tend to run a touch more smoothly with less stuff to push around).

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
It would be stupid to make the screen any bigger because that would make the phone bigger and it's already big enough. I'm not gonna carry anything bigger than that in my pocket, ever. They can add more resolution though.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think they will increase it. I know a LOT of people now who look at the iPhone and think 'man that's tiny'.

Maybe they will have two iPhone 6's, one with a 5" and one with a 4"?

By next year they will have eradicated the 3.5" screen (we hope) so this could work. Still really only two resolutions to deal with.

If the screen increases it will no doubt go to 720 or 1080p. Unless Apple just pixel doubles again which I don't personally see happening because the end resolution would just be very weirdly unique.

We'll see though.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I'd have to say I wouldn't necessarily mind if the size stayed the same.

If they could increase it to something like 4.5 or 4.3" that'd be ok, and this is coming from a former owner of a Galaxy SIII.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This. I like not having to change my grip to access all of the screen with one hand. I'm not willing to trade that for a bigger screen so hopefully the 6 will at least have a 4 in variant.

One handed use is still very possible with a larger screen and a larger device. (Apple seems to think the iPad Mini can be used one handed. They say so in their promotional video for the Mini.)

Also, even if a screen is harder to use one handed, there can be clever solutions:

http://www.androidauthority.com/note-3-one-handed-operation-how-to-280458/

note-3-one-handed-operation-645x401.jpg

If Samsung can figure out a way to offer a larger screen while still giving people the ability to use it one handed when they need to, can't Apple?

If Motorola can fit a larger screen into a smaller body (ala the Moto X) using edge to edge design, can't Apple? Try handling the Moto X just to feel it; it's amazingly comfortable to use one handed.

I would be disappointed if the iPhone 6 didn't come with a larger screen. I think it's time, Apple. Some might even argue it's overdue.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If Samsung can figure out a way to offer a larger screen while still giving people the ability to use it one handed when they need to, can't Apple?

If Motorola can fit a larger screen into a smaller body (ala the Moto X) using edge to edge design, can't Apple? Try handling the Moto X just to feel it; it's amazingly comfortable to use one handed.

I would be disappointed if the iPhone 6 didn't come with a larger screen. I think it's time, Apple. Some might even argue it's overdue.

Samsung's "solution" is kludgy. Besides, it still is a larger phone and so there's the act of balancing it in your hand.

I think Apple might go the same route as Google with the Moto X, though. 2014 is a redesign year for the iPhone, so if there will be a bigger screen, that's when we'll see it.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Coming over from a 4.7" phone to an iphone 5 I'm not missing the bigger screen size as much as I'm likiing the smaller form factor.

Bigger screen but on if it's the same form factor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.