Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I ended up getting Applecare+, though it was a hard decision this year due to the fact that Apple raised the price and deductible. People often cite that a screen repair at full price is cheaper than the total cost of Applecare plus the deductible -- and that is true. However, every iPhone (and iPad) I've owned has had a problem in the *second* year and in all cases has required a replacement--not a repair. Also, I've generally found that when the genius you work with at the Applestore confirms you have Applecare, they are much more lenient. In some cases where they could have done a repair, they swapped out my beaten up device for a refurb in perfect condition. They also don't charge a deductible for a simple hardware failure (not accidental damage)--unlike most 3rd party insurance.

Anyway, I think other insurance choices are valid as well and I almost went for AT&T this time, but heard many bad things about the customer service and quality from Asurion. Square trade raised their prices (though still cheaper than Applecare).

Last edited:

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Carrier, or Apple Care, or third party insurers.

I put $10 in my account every month a few years ago. That money would be used to buy a new phone or repair if needed.

Now I have a few hundred in my account which remains my money. I also don't have to give any money to anyone else for the privilege of protection.

Reactions: wilhub

kpewpew

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
What's the deductible for protecting your phone via renter's or homeowner's insurance? I believe the deductible is usually $500 or higher for personal property, but I'm curious to find out if it's different - let me know!

Reason: If the deductible is $500, and you file a claim for a $750 phone, you'd only net out $250 from the claim. And you may have a loss recorded in your CLUE report, possibly raising your insurance rates. I'm fully qualified to present these assumptions as facts, so I'm welcome to hear more info.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
What's the deductible for protecting your phone via renter's or homeowner's insurance? I believe the deductible is usually $500 or higher for personal property, but I'm curious to find out if it's different - let me know!

Reason: If the deductible is $500, and you file a claim for a $750 phone, you'd only net out $250 from the claim. And you may have a loss recorded in your CLUE report, possibly raising your insurance rates. I'm fully qualified to present these assumptions as facts, so I'm welcome to hear more info.

State Farm has Personal Article policies, or some name like that. It's not your homeowners, so the deductible doesn't apply, and claims don't raise your homeowner rates. For around $5/month I was covering 2 SLR cameras and 5 lenses. They used to do it he iPhone, but due to lose s they don't cover anything that starts with an "i" anymore:(.

I would love to find something similar that would cover my iPhone.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I have renters insurance too, but I didn't think it would cover damage to the phone, just if it was stolen, and that would require a police report. So water damage or simply loosing it wouldn't be covered. Is that correct? To me, the carrier insurance or third party-device specific are the offer the best comprehensive coverage. AT&T's deductible is high comparatively at $200, but it reduces too $100 after a year. They also overnight express the replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.