Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I own a Galaxy Nexus and this picture is garbage. Unless you covered your finger in a ridiculous amount of grease and tried to unlock your phone, this doesnt actually happen in day to day use.

When I had the Android unlock on my iPod Touch, you could totally still see the pattern if you didn't do much of anything with the device after you unlocked it. It wasn't as glaringly obvious as the picture, but it was absolutely there.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
So you won't Apple to somehow add hardware by releasing new software? [NFC]
Well, some people do think the iPhone is magical. :D

Seriously, though. Has anyone seen any NFC-enabled merchant, outside of major metropolitan areas? Even in major metropolitan areas, how common is it?

----------

I own a Galaxy Nexus and this picture is garbage. Unless you covered your finger in a ridiculous amount of grease and tried to unlock your phone, this doesnt actually happen in day to day use.
A lot of people don't wash their hands well, if at all, and so I can totally see how smudges can end up on the screen. (There's a reason why you often see signs in commercial bathrooms, telling employees that they must wash their hands. :eek:)

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
More space in folders: especially for the iPhone. Right now you a max of 12 apps, with the extra row you should be able to go to 16 and it could still go to 20 and be fine. Whatever they do should be the same in the iPad.

Im pretty sure I have more than 12 apps in a folder on my iPad 3, or am I just imagining it?

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
Im pretty sure I have more than 12 apps in a folder on my iPad 3, or am I just imagining it?

Yes you do get more on the iPad which is much better and seems closer to the golden number. I am referring to the iPhone which has a max of 3 rows of 4 apps.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
My responses in bold

Do you really think these are the main omissions from iOS 6?

This was to start a discussion which is progressing. Most of your commentary I found a little dismissive which is humorous.

More space in folders - I am not complaining, I am giving my voice of what should be in iOS6. Not hard to understand. If don't use your devices as much as I do, don't force your limitations on me.

Folder Sync: As far as devices, I have an iPod touch, an iPhone and a couple of iPads and may add another, whether I "should need" them is frankly not for you to decide. Most apps do go on all devices and at least that's a start. At a minimum I should be able to set up a profile and restore it to a device. When I change out iPhones at this point I have to redo all my folders, that alone shouldn't happen.

Siri Voice: Gimmicky? Half of everything Apple does is gimmicky. I'd rather have Siri with a new voice and accent than Photobooth.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
Seriously, though. Has anyone seen any NFC-enabled merchant, outside of major metropolitan areas? Even in major metropolitan areas, how common is it?

It is growing and I am seeing more and more CC machines with the logo. http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/nfc-merchants.html

Well NFC does lots of things other than just facilitate purchases. We can't let Andweeb have all the fun...

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-nfc-tectiles-20120613,0,7214732.story

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/17/vizibility-launches-its-nfc-enabled-business-cards/

http://www.bgr.com/2012/04/19/barclays-releases-the-nfc-enabled-paytag-video/

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
Reminders: Put categories! And let us sort list by Categories, etc. Those of us on GTD will thank you. And sync those to Exchange. It was a bit obtuse to finally get the Tasks list on my iPhone syncing to Exchange properly. I don't use phone-specific tasks, I want them everywhere.

Fuzzy.Dunlop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
London
Passcode locking stock apps i.e iMessage and email drives me mad when some asks to play with my phone/ipad and I know they could be looking through my personal stuff

More space in folders - I am not complaining, I am giving my voice of what should be in iOS6. Not hard to understand. If don't use your devices as much as I do, don't force your limitations on me.

Folder Sync: As far as devices, I have an iPod touch, an iPhone and a couple of iPads and may add another, whether I "should need" them is frankly not for you to decide. Most apps do go on all devices and at least that's a start. At a minimum I should be able to set up a profile and restore it to a device. When I change out iPhones at this point I have to redo all my folders, that alone shouldn't happen.

Siri Voice: Gimmicky? Half of everything Apple does is gimmicky. I'd rather have Siri with a new voice and accent than Photobooth.

I'm not sure how you wanting to have 16 apps per folder as opposed to 12 means that you use your devices more than me... but aside from that, my point is that there just isn't enough room on the current iPhone. Open any folder with 9-12 apps and you will clearly see from the faded out apps that there isn't enough room for another row. You can argue Apple should squeeze them a little bit closer, or maybe by removing the rudundant space there may be enough room, but I personally think (and obviously Apple agrees) that would look a little crowded. Also, I like the size because you can press on the empty space above OR below the folder to "close" the folder. It's a subtle thing, and you probably don't even realize how much you appreciate it. My point is Apple made the folders that size for good reason, and I don't see them changing it. Now a 4" iPhone 5 on the other hand...

You're right, it's not up to me to decide how many iPads you own... but what in the world would be the purpose of one person owning two iPads mirroring the exact same apps on each one? :confused: I don't even understand the need for two iPads (or an iPhone and iPod touch for that matter) for a single person, but I won't question your uses. Also I was almost positive that if I restore my iPhone from my back up it keeps my folders... If not, then I agree that should be added, but that's simple enough.

Well my point about Siri is that there are a lot more improvements that can be made, different voices should be low on the totem pole. For what it's worth, I doubt Apple would ever give Siri various voices simply because they probably want Siri to have one easily recognizable voice. Of course that's not a reason against why Apple SHOULD do it... but just my personal opinion on Apple's philosophy

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
When I had the Android unlock on my iPod Touch, you could totally still see the pattern if you didn't do much of anything with the device after you unlocked it. It wasn't as glaringly obvious as the picture, but it was absolutely there.

A lot of people don't wash their hands well, if at all, and so I can totally see how smudges can end up on the screen. (There's a reason why you often see signs in commercial bathrooms, telling employees that they must wash their hands. :eek:)

I just unlocked and locked my Galaxy Nexus 5 times in a row and it is hardly noticable. Furthermore, once you use the phone after you unlock it (which is what most people tend to do ;) ), it's a complete non-issue.

And if you're hands are that greasy.. yuck! :eek:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I just unlocked and locked my Galaxy Nexus 5 times in a row and it is hardly noticable. Furthermore, once you use the phone after you unlock it (which is what most people tend to do ;) ), it's a complete non-issue.

Depends on how much you use it, but yes. If you're looking for it, though, doesn't matter how "hardly noticeable" it is if you can see it at all. That's why it's a security issue. If you can see it at all, then anyone can get in.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Depends on how much you use it, but yes. If you're looking for it, though, doesn't matter how "hardly noticeable" it is if you can see it at all. That's why it's a security issue. If you can see it at all, then anyone can get in.

If you unlock your phone, use it, then lock it, it is NOT noticeable. Also, for example, my combo has numerous possibilities so it's not glaringly obvious even if I were to have lard covered hands and only unlocked it for some reason.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
I'm not sure how you wanting to have 16 apps per folder as opposed to 12 means that you use your devices more than me... but aside from that, my point is that there just isn't enough room on the current iPhone. Open any folder with 9-12 apps and you will clearly see from the faded out apps that there isn't enough room for another row. You can argue Apple should squeeze them a little bit closer, or maybe by removing the rudundant space there may be enough room, but I personally think (and obviously Apple agrees) that would look a little crowded. Also, I like the size because you can press on the empty space above OR below the folder to "close" the folder. It's a subtle thing, and you probably don't even realize how much you appreciate it. My point is Apple made the folders that size for good reason, and I don't see them changing it. Now a 4" iPhone 5 on the other hand...

That's my direction - the iPhone5. I agree that wouldn't work on the 4 but they could work that design difference into the OS the same way they will account for the extra row. I do like the design but with a longer phone they can keep the design sensibilities and still offer more space in the folder.

I'll won't bring up my suggestion for Tardis Folders.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
"Numerous possibilities" are not enough. Researchers have proved that: http://androinica.com/2010/08/androids-gesture-unlock-screen-is-suceptible-to-smudge-attacks/

Your hands may be clean enough, but many peoples' aren't.

I've read that article (and others similar to it). I am aware of the possible issues with that form of unlock; I never said it was perfect. But saying that pattern unlock posses a HUGE threat and misleading photos like the one posted earlier do nothing but sensationalize the issue. Also, you can always switch to a PIN unlock. :)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
NFC would be a welcomed addition in the next iPhone. I hate carrying my 3 inch wide wallet in my butt pocket everywhere I go. Plus sitting down with it is a pain in the butt, literally. Ya, I know there are other options but I like to be as naked as possible (as in, less of bulk – not clothing... well, clothing too I guess. I should shut up).

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
This was to start a discussion which is progressing. Most of your commentary I found a little dismissive which is humorous.

The reason why they dont (and wont) have different voices for Siri (other than English UK and Australia) is very simple. Its the same reason why for 3 OS's they never added new ringtones and text tones...

Familiarity. When people hear that text sound, or that marimba ring tone, they immediately know its coming from an iPhone. So by making Siri have a permanent voice, people will grow familiar with it and automatically know "thats Siri". Its also why even on silent mode, Siri still makes that beep noise when you hold the home button.

It's sort of subliminal advertising.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I've read that article (and others similar to it). I am aware of the possible issues with that form of unlock; I never said it was perfect. But saying that pattern unlock posses a HUGE threat and misleading photos like the one posted earlier do nothing but sensationalize the issue. Also, you can always switch to a PIN unlock. :)

Compared to a PIN/password unlock, a pattern unlock poses a fairly significant security threat. Compared to having no security protection at all, a pattern lock poses a fairly significant security advantage. It's all relative; that being said, a pattern unlock is inherently less secure than a PIN/password unlock, which is presumably why Apple won't implement one.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Compared to a PIN/password unlock, a pattern unlock poses a fairly significant security threat. Compared to having no security protection at all, a pattern lock poses a fairly significant security advantage. It's all relative; that being said, a pattern unlock is inherently less secure than a PIN/password unlock, which is presumably why Apple won't implement one.

Compared to a PIN/password unlock, it poses a security threat if, 1) Your hands are excessively greasy and 2) You often unlock your phone, and immediately lock it, without doing anything else in-between.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My wishlist would include separate auto-lock and brightness settings for when powered vs non-powered.
Why the Music player insists on dimming the screen even when docked is beyond me.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
NFC would be a welcomed addition in the next iPhone. I hate carrying my 3 inch wide wallet in my butt pocket everywhere I go. Plus sitting down with it is a pain in the butt, literally. Ya, I know there are other options but I like to be as naked as possible (as in, less of bulk – not clothing... well, clothing too I guess. I should shut up).

Can you actually use NFC for payment in many places? I know it needs to get added to more phones to ramp up adoption even if it was added for the fall iPhone it would be of little use for awhile, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.