1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

what iPod...?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sam10685, Feb 11, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

sam10685

i want to get an ipod but i don't know what to get (or when to get it.) my brother and sister both got 30gig ipod video's for christmas and i got a really cool new digital camera... (i don't listen to music a lot but i do some. also, ipods these days do a lot more than just play music.)i was wondering if anyone would give me any advice on what to get and when to get it... i'm thinking a black nano but does anyone know if there's anything new and better coming out soon?

2. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

We need to know how much music you have mate, thats the main deciding factor.

3. macrumors 65816

Josh396

If you don't have a lot of music and don't listen to music a lot then I would recommend a Nano. There's no point spending a lot of money on an iPod if you don't really listen to music much so you should stay with a nano instead of getting a 5G. It all depends on how much music you have though. I found myself listening to music a lot more than I did before when I got my iPod so you may want to factor that in for what size you decide to get as well.

4. Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

like glenn said, how much music you have is a big factor.

also, think about how much and what kind of free time you have - do you have a long commute to school or work or any frequent free or down time. i used to work at a place where i could take the subway to get there it was a 40 minute ride each way - unfortunately, this was before the video ipods were released, but one of those would have been perfect for me then as i would have used it to catch up on tv shows and podcasts.

if you have a small music collection and just want something to be able to carry around with you easily to listen to music when you have some spare time, a nano would be perfect...

5. macrumors 68000

sam10685

thank u guys...! a nano is seeming like the best choice for me now... i don't listen often but Josh396 made a good point in saying he listens to music way more now that he has an ipod. i bet i would too... there's also a bunch of songs i can't track down yet. does anyone know if a new version of the nano or the next generation ipod is comming soon? what about Apple's 30th birthday this april 1st?

6. JPA
    macrumors newbie

Nobody really knows when new versions are coming, but the MacRumors Buyer's Guide right on this site http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ recommends "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle".

For me at least, another big factor besides how much music you have, is that the Nano (and Shuffle) use flash memory rather than a mini-disc drive so are lighter, smaller, and less likely to be broken by dropping.

7. macrumors 604

zap2

8. macrumors newbie

bluedrew22

ya, get a nano

they rock!

I bought a 4g black nano and I LOVEit.