Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Lets say you want to organize your pictures into folders for organizational purposes. Or keep all your downloaded PDFs in folders like "eBooks" and "Whitepapers" and "Academic Articles" etc. That way they are organized the same way no matter what app you use to browse them. This is much better than how, say, Photos app works... in Photos app you have one long list with all your photos sorted by date and you can't change how they're sorted nor move them anywhere else, except delete them. You can add them to albums but you can never see a list of whatever photos have not been added to albums yet.

Also you can't rename your photos without a file manager, or even SEE their names for that matter. It's a joke!

Have you seriously never used a computer or its file manager?

What do you do if you want to free up space on your device, without a file manager? What do you do if you want to back up your saved games from Infinity Blade 3 to a different folder so you can delete the app temporarily? You can't, not without a file manager.

What if you want to download an MP3 of your band's latest practice to a folder on your device so you can listen to it without redownloading and without polluting your iTunes library with crappy practice tracks? Once again, without a file manager you, sir, are screwed.

Yes, there are annoying, kludgy apps that semi-accomplish these tasks in various non-standard and lame ways. But it's no replacement for an iOS Finder.

I'll admit, not everyone is smart enough or uses their device enough to benefit from a file manager. But it would not harm those people if it was there.

Personally though I think even stupid people would benefit, because files and folders makes a lot more sense than "my naked photos that I deleted last month went where?!"

----------

AMEN. oldmacs you are my new best friend.

Let me add to what the above genius has eloquently pointed out: iCloud PhotoStream *compresses* and *alters the resolution* of your photos. It does not transmit RAW images.

----------

Dude, real panoramas stitched from high resolution DSLR images can be 2GB in size, each. I have panoramas on my Mac that are 40GB in size.

THANKYOU!! Someone who sees it my way :D

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I really wish Apple would at least introduce a rudimentary file system like on Android where it would be possible to simply drag and drop let's say a movie from your computer to the iPad without having to first transfer it to iTunes and then sync. That adds an unnecessary step and makes one not even want to bother doing it because of the added time it takes for no added benefit.

There's a reason for that. Hollywood and the record companies.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I hope file manager never EVER comes to iOS.

Truly disgusting even to think about it.

Yeah, it is disgusting to think of Apple using something that every other computer and mobile system in the world uses daily. It shouldn't even be allowed on Mac's. What was Steve Jobs thinking when he purchased Xerox's GUI? In fact, why do we even need copy/paste functionality? It wasn't in the first version of iOS, so obviously it isn't needed. It's disgusting how Apple adds features like that. Disgusting I tell ya!

#sarcasm101

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah, it is disgusting to think of Apple using something that every other computer and mobile system in the world uses daily. It shouldn't even be allowed on Mac's. What was Steve Jobs thinking when he purchased Xerox's GUI? In fact, why do we even need copy/paste functionality? It wasn't in the first version of iOS, so obviously it isn't needed. It's disgusting how Apple adds features like that. Disgusting I tell ya!

#sarcasm101

Scream all you want, its not happening tho.

shady25

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
My laptop can handle my files. Even when I had the s4 I only ever used it for social media, photos and music. Different needs I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.