Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I may have asked this question before. I cant remember. Its amazing how much stuff you forget when you have absolutely nothing to do at work. Anyhoo...

I will soon need to arrange for tube access at my new place and was wondering what SkyBroadband is like for us Macheads?

Simple plug it in and off you go or what?

Ethernet?

Speeds?

Service?

Cost?

Its either going to be either Sky or Blueyonder/Telewest/Virgin Media/insertnewname. I have Virgin Media at the moment and its great but my new place will have to be via a BT line instead of a dedicated cable (which I prefer) so I want to know about SkyBroadband.

Ta

EDIT: Oh and it looks like a get a wireless router from them so what does that mean for my Airport setup? Id prefer to use Airport.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ethernet. Wired or Wireless, router type modem thingy comes with it includes both.

Speeds, depends. Mine isnt great. I pay for 16meg (only one with unlimited bandwidth) connects at 3.8 I think. I don't mind, it means when they upgrade the telephone exchange I'll get a 'free' upgrade to my speeds.

Service. Hmmmmm. It wasn't so great when I first got it, but its better now. Used to just go off randomly, kind of thing you'd expect from a new service really.

Price, yummy. With sky I pay £10 extra a month for the unlimited 16meg. Thats actually the cheapest one.

Can't tell you about Airport, as I don't have one, wired in my house see.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Ethernet. Wired or Wireless, router type modem thingy comes with it includes both.

Erm... so you are saying the router modem thingy is wireless but can be wired and comes with the wire?

At the moment my 'wired' modem goes to my Airport then it 'magically' beams tubes everywhere.

Im just confused at what bit is wireless from Sky? It kind of makes me think my Airport stuff will be useless but then Skys stuff wont work with AppleTV etc. :confused:

Oh the humanity!!!! :(

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
It's a wired and wireless router. I use both, the Sky tube goes into the modem router thingy and you can either use wired (Yup, it comes with the wire) or wireless, or both. It kind of does make Airport stuff useless. I use the wiredness (Goes into a switch in my bedroom) and my sister uses the wireless for her Laptop (So I sold my access point) it's great, I got rid of a modem, router and wireless access point for this crazy Sky gizmo.

It should work with Apple TV, it is just a DSL wireless router really with Ethernet ports as an added extra. It is actually made by Netgear. Not 'n' though.

Only thing id say is they don't provide password for admin access to the router. Could prolly get them with a phone call, but so far all the ports ive wanted have been ok, so no need for admin access.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Rate oh. I'll give em ago when the time comes. :)

Cheers Mark. (I knew you would be the first to reply on this :D )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.