Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Just to confirm what Philipma1957 reported, the Gskill shown is now in my MacMini and absolutely no issues to report. All is well. Don't need expensive ram. This is getting better in sale price range from Newegg ;) :D

Last edited:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
this all depends on how you want to use your server. 16gb comes in handy for users of vmware fusion people that have a mini with 1 lion osx and 2 windows virtual machines need 16gb ram.

if you don't need 16gb ram and don't get pageouts with 8gb ram.

the kingston 1866MHz is fastest. also if you need 16gb ram because you do virtual machines here is a good sale at newegg it ends in a few hours

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?Tpk=shell shock

85 dollars for 16gb of ram that will work with the server mini sale ends in 2 hours 4 east coast time.

Thank you for the feedback.

Even though I bought the "Server" edition. it really doesn't spend much time serving up stuff.

I fairly frequently have VMWare Fusion running one VM (Win 7 mostly) and occasionally two VM's, and very rarely three VM's.

right now at 4GB the system gets quite slow with even one running and lots of page out's.

Other than VM's I do quite a bit of Adobe InDesign CS 5.x, some Photoshop CS 5.1/ Illustrator CS 5.x. I don't generally work on huge images in Photoshop so if I don't have much else running then my 4GB seems to be sufficient for that right now.

Other than than, Citrix Viewer, some Java apps (not big memory hogs though), Word processing, Netflix, iTunes Streaming, a few games, but Games aren't my priority.

sorry for my ignorance, I haven't really heard of G.Skill before, are they pretty good quality?

again thank you for taking the time to respond and for the link.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am using 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 9-9-9-24 in my mini quad server. I would recommend staying with 9-9-9-24 (CL 9) RAM, if possible.

It's not enough, but I can't find 8 GB sticks Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz in the UK right now.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Thank you for the feedback.

Even though I bought the "Server" edition. it really doesn't spend much time serving up stuff.

I fairly frequently have VMWare Fusion running one VM (Win 7 mostly) and occasionally two VM's, and very rarely three VM's.

right now at 4GB the system gets quite slow with even one running and lots of page out's.

Other than VM's I do quite a bit of Adobe InDesign CS 5.x, some Photoshop CS 5.1/ Illustrator CS 5.x. I don't generally work on huge images in Photoshop so if I don't have much else running then my 4GB seems to be sufficient for that right now.

Other than than, Citrix Viewer, some Java apps (not big memory hogs though), Word processing, Netflix, iTunes Streaming, a few games, but Games aren't my priority.

sorry for my ignorance, I haven't really heard of G.Skill before, are they pretty good quality?

again thank you for taking the time to respond and for the link.

g skill ram has run very well in the many 2011 minis I have upgraded. I have used 40 pairs of the 4gb sticks and 4 or 5 of the 8gb sticks. 1 bad 4gb stick very good sucess rate with the 2011 minis.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Hey everyone.

What is the best program to use to determine if I should have more RAM?

I currently have 4 gigs in my mini.

My main use is Aperture, Photoshop, GarageBand and Logic Pro - and what I am working on can be quite intensive.

But I am wondering - is there a program I can use to see if more might help?

When I look at the built in activity monitor I am not sure if things like WIRED is important. And what is the difference between FREE RAM and INACTIVE RAM?

thanks!

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Hey everyone.

What is the best program to use to determine if I should have more RAM?

I currently have 4 gigs in my mini.

My main use is Aperture, Photoshop, GarageBand and Logic Pro - and what I am working on can be quite intensive.

But I am wondering - is there a program I can use to see if more might help?

When I look at the built in activity monitor I am not sure if things like WIRED is important. And what is the difference between FREE RAM and INACTIVE RAM?

thanks!

free ram is unallocated pages, they hold no data. inactive ram is memory t hat has been allocated for some use, but has not been accessed for a certain period Of time.

as free memory approaches 0, inactive ram will be paged, then swapped to disk.

I'm not sure how deep you want to go into this virtual memory discussion, consider that a very very very short course on it.

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
as an added note, I am running a pair of corsair 8 gigabyte sticks on my 2011 quad core mini server.

are usually have 1 or 2 virtual machines running with parallels at any given time.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
free ram is unallocated pages, they hold no data. inactive ram is memory t hat has been allocated for some use, but has not been accessed for a certain period Of time.

as free memory approaches 0, inactive ram will be paged, then swapped to disk.

I'm not sure how deep you want to go into this virtual memory discussion, consider that a very very very short course on it.

Thank you.

I opened my programs I use one by one and Activity monitor stays around

FREE: 20mb
WIRED: 850mb
ACTIVE: 2.10GB
INACTIVE: 1.00GB
USED: 3.98

That's with only 2 of my programs open. If I open another 1 or 2 of them - the memory numbers quoted stay virtually the same, so I guess the computer is writing off data to the HDD.

I'm ordering more RAM now :)

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have the Mac Mini Server (Mid 2011) i7 (Intell 3000HD GPU) and ended up getting a great deal on some 4GB (4x2) Kingston HyperX memory 1600Mhz, CL-9

Link to the same memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104257

and so far so good! I had the following running:
* VM Ware fusion up (Running Windows 7 With Excel 2010, some web browsers, an equation program, notepad++, and a couple other things running)

* Photoshop CS 5.1
* InDesign CS 5.x
* Chrome
* Safari
* Ms Word 2011
* Acrobat Pro
* Some Finder windows
* iTunes playing a 1080p movie
* Duel Monitors
*Activity monitor
* Cirtix session open running through some Java VPN stuff

and had pretty good performance, I didn't notice any lag, and about 800MB free memory, and only about 122KB paged. Boot time is a little faster too.

Anyhow, I would recommend it for other people too.
When 16GB becomes cheaper and has a lower CL then I think I'll upgrade again, but for now this is a little rockin' machine for school work, my job, and personal stuff.

For the price of memory, I can't believe I was hesitant to spend more money to get the extra RAM, my productivity has gone way up and my frustration has gone way down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.