Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
like how far apart can you be away from your phone with the apple watch in order to still get notifications and stuff?

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
About 33feet. It uses Bluetooth.
Edit - when you're on the same WiFi (i.e.; at home) this limitation is not in place. You just have to be in proximity of the WiFi)

Ocean1286

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I was hoping it would be a little further but in reality its about 30ft. If there's a wall between you and the phone the range is obviously reduced.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
About 33feet. It uses Bluetooth.
Edit - when you're on the same WiFi (i.e.; at home) this limitation is not in place. You just have to be in proximity of the WiFi)

Doesn't it also clone your wifi connection and access your phone via wifi when its out of BT range as long as the phone and watch are on the same network?

Sport73

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Wellington, FL
Doesn't it also clone your wifi connection and access your phone via wifi when its out of BT range as long as the phone and watch are on the same network?

Has anyone found this to be reliable? My experience was that when greater than 40 ft from the phone, but still well within WiFi, Siri reliability dropped dramatically, and I was unable to open apps.

Reactions: iMacRW

iMacRW

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Has anyone found this to be reliable? My experience was that when greater than 40 ft from the phone, but still well within WiFi, Siri reliability dropped dramatically, and I was unable to open apps.

Yes, I have the same issue. Contacted Apple and the rep didn't know that the watch can connect through WiFi. Apple get your phone reps educated please!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'd like to say with wifi off its 30ft on bt but I've found it to be greater. With wifi and clear line of sight the range is great.

bh85

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Midwest
Range is not that good to be honest here. When I'm at home and if i go outside on my deck (less than 30 feet), opening apps doesn't work and sometimes it shows me that its not connected to my phone. No brick walls or anything that would obstruct signal. At my work its the same. When I leave my office (less than 30 feet), it would show me disconnected. Same again. No major obstruction. I'm disappointed with range.

Last edited:
Reactions: iMacRW

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

I hadn't really been paying attention to this, until the other day when I'd left my phone upstairs in the office and I was sitting in the garden. Well outside 40 feet and noticed my watch was still working. Tried it a few times since then and it's been the same.

It was the first wow moment I've had for a wee while with the watch. Now that I've had it a while it's just part of my daily life. Goes to show it can still impress, even months later. Well, if your easily pleased :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.