Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
The oldest Mac I ever connected to the Internet was my Quadra 700 running Mac OS 7.6. I used a (very) old version of Fetch to manage my website via FTP... That was about a year ago. I also browsed some websites with iCab.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Oldest Mac I EVER had online was a Classic II probably 13 years ago using jags web kit.

These days the oldest Mac I have online is the PowerBook 3400c which is running OS 9.1 with a wifi card.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Modern internet (as in something that would connect today)? I guess it's my Pismo. I have a cardbus adapter which can connect via WPA on Tiger, but I need a wireless Ethernet bridge to go online in OS 9 (I won't go down to WEP so the internal Airport card will work, but the bridge will do WPA2.)

My oldest Mac *ever* on the Internet? My first Mac, a Power Mac 7200/90, around 1996, with a dial-up modem, which originally ran one of the worst, buggiest, and most rushed Mac OS ever, System 7.5.2. Wouldn't want to try that today....

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Very interesting guys! Thanks for the responses. I would love to see a video of a 68k Mac online if anyone has one.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'd say that counts, thus you are the record holder on here for oldest Mac on the Internet. Apple ][ could never being that it just is simply impossible to even access a text-based website (as far as I know it's not possible, but I have no clue). That being said, a IIGS can, however that was released in 86 and your Mac is from 83/84, so you currently hold the record in the post!

The Uthernet card and Contiki software will run on an Apple ][+.

Note: I'm waiting for the next run of Uthernet cards to be made for my A2+...

It has 56k port , and highest is Mac OS 8. I'll take a look.

The PowerBook 500-series has Ethernet ports, it just requires an adapter to use with modern RJ-45 connections. Look up an "AAUI adapter".

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Uthernet card and Contiki software will run on an Apple ][+.

Note: I'm waiting for the next run of Uthernet cards to be made for my A2+...

I had no clue such thing existed. I'm sure you can only access basic text-websites like Wikipedia using the two things. Is Uthernet a new accessory that they release in large groups or are they bringing it back for hobbyists and collectors?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I had no clue such thing existed. I'm sure you can only access basic text-websites like Wikipedia using the two things. Is Uthernet a new accessory that they release in large groups or are they bringing it back for hobbyists and collectors?

It's a hobbyist-made card that gets made in batches when there are enough orders - although right now it's delayed because the creator has made a new version with many improvements that is having some ramp-up difficulties.

It allows access to most websites that have majority text content. Which includes most social media, most forums, news sites, etc. (Technically, it can *browse* any site, but if it's a site that is centered around graphics or graphical interactivity, that site may be useless. Don't try to load the old SpaceJam website, for example...)

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's a hobbyist-made card that gets made in batches when there are enough orders - although right now it's delayed because the creator has made a new version with many improvements that is having some ramp-up difficulties.

It allows access to most websites that have majority text content. Which includes most social media, most forums, news sites, etc. (Technically, it can *browse* any site, but if it's a site that is centered around graphics or graphical interactivity, that site may be useless. Don't try to load the old SpaceJam website, for example...)

Wow, I have to find a video of this. I'd imagine it would be hard to read Facebook or even MR on a 6in monochrome green screen.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wow, I have to find a video of this. I'd imagine it would be hard to read Facebook or even MR on a 6in monochrome green screen.

In my post mentioning my 1983 Macintosh, I link to a picture of it posting to the 68kMLA forums. Not as simple as on a modern graphical browser for sure, but it works in a pinch.

Edit: found a video of an Apple II browsing Apple2.org and an Apple IIgs browsing the Vintage Computer Forums and YouTube (minus videos,) plus connecting to an IRC server.

Last edited:

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
In the mid 2000s, I got an LC (1990) online with my dial-up account at the time. Shortly thereafter, I got my hands on an LC475 (1993) that I used online with some regularity, even though I already had my PowerBook G4.

There's some work being done right now on the Kansasfest mailing list regarding making modern e-mail work on an Apple IIgs (1986), authenticated-but-not-secure gateways and forwarding, which is pretty neat.

Back in "the day" (2001-2002) I did most of my Internet tasks on a Performa 578 (1993) and a Quadra 840av (1993) running 7.5 or 8.1. This was back in the days when there was essentially nothing you could do on a modern PPC Mac that wasn't possible on a good '030 or '040 68k Mac.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
And to go back to the original...

A PowerBook 5300 with a WaveLAN card using iCab should work fine if you make a point of browsing the 'mobile' versions of sites.. Even with max RAM, I wouldn't dare try Classilla, though.

And turn off Javascript. And probably CSS.

As evidence, here's a PowerBook 520c browsing this thread in iCab...

Attachments

• PB520onMacRumors.JPG
    PB520onMacRumors.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 106

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
My PowerMac 6100/60 AV, still working fine and connected to the internet.

Attachments

• pm6100.jpg
    pm6100.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 115
  • powermac-6100.png
    powermac-6100.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.