What Is V-Data? (PowerBook RAM)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by .:*Robot Boy*:., Feb 8, 2005.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I was talking to a technician at my local Apple Reseller today about the new PowerBooks. I've got one on backorder and it's due sometime before the end of the week (yay!). Anyway, when I asked if he could install some RAM I'd bought, he asked if it had "V-Data" printed on it anywhere... I asked what difference "V-Data" makes and he told me that the 15" models require RAM with "V-Data" or the machine will crash on startup.

What disturbs me is that I've bought a 1GB stick of RAM from MacSales.com and, although it's guaranteed to work in a 1.67GHz 15", I'm still worried that I'm going to have to send it back - halfway around the world - to get it replaced. I've had a look through the anti-static bag and I can't see any mention of "V-Data"

So... this does anyone know anything about this mysterious "V-Data"? Should I be worried, or is this technician-guy pissed off 'cause I won't buy his overpriced Apple RAM?

Tim.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, V-Data is a generic ram brand, and not a particularly good one.... I think you're being fed a load... :(

3. ollie macrumors member

just bring it in. tell him to put it in so you can see your first mac crash at reboot. doesnt crash. walk out of store with 1.5gb ram pb

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh my ram says "Crucial" on it, and my PB does just fine.