Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Let me start off by saying this is geared towards the bored :p

My friend just sent me this short, little, quiz (12 questions long) that determines the type of Amercan Accent (sorry non-Americans, i guess you can still take it but it won't be geographically correct for you) you have with rather good accuracy (for us anyway :) )! The accents it includes are "The Northeast, The Midland, The South. The Inland North, Boston, The West, and North Central.

I had a fun with this, post how accurate your results were!

(Fixed) Link.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
dud link, takes us to someones results...

I'd bet Boston, simply because I'm from Worcester

quiz.jpg

Mhm...

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Very close. I guess now when people ask me what kind of accent I have, I can tell them "North Central" aka "Minnesota" accent. Cool! :)
"Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

accent.png

ps. Fargo is one of my favourite movies!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Correct link.

It pegged me:
Same result, here. Chicago born. It's been the non-accented U.S. sound sought out by radio and tv (at least that's what I've always heard....and believed. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 862

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sort of right. Just keep going east-north-east for a couple of thousand miles or so :)

Picture 1.png

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
And old York is near here, so you're right, it is actually quite accurate. :)
And if you think what's north of Jersey, it's even closer to being true. :D

Woo, look at us. We sound like we're from The Hamptons. Northampton, Southampton, Littlehampton, Wolverhampton, take your pick :p

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Interesting. I know my location says I am from NYC, but I've only lived here for 3 months!

Technically, I was born and raised in Georgia (except for a 5 year stint in Brussels, Belgium). My mom was born in Queens, but went to high school in NJ (just over the river). My dad's mother is German and his dad was from Boston, but he lived in both Georgia and Germany (and went to school in NY). So....my accent is just screwed up! My mom has a SLIGHT accent, my dad has none...but my mom made sure we didn't develop a Southern accent :p

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 874

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I got the midland but I'm from New York. I've been told I have a very slight brooklyn accent.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Inland North. Very high on Philly.

Low on the bland "West" accent. I need to start listening for it. I guess my distinctions are mostly trying to make sure that the words sound different from each other. I know I don't have the Chicago accent. I will concede that I slide into the NE accent fairly easily and if I am down south I start drawling.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I will concede that I slide into the NE accent fairly easily and if I am down south I start drawling.
Same here. I picked up a lot when living in Syracuse, NY... but I refuse to pick up the Boston accent. It's like a lame attempt at a British accent.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Bingo.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've taken this one before. It nails me as "The Inland North," which is pretty much where Buffalo gets lumped in with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.