Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
I've been seriously contemplating getting a mac for the past few months, but I can't really decide which one to get.

Basically, What would be the best solution for a windows user with a Pentium 3 866 w/ 512mb ram?

I want atleast a g4, so the ibook is ruled out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Re: What mac for a ...mac newbie?

Originally posted by scawt

Basically, What would be the best solution for a windows user with a Pentium 3 866 w/ 512mb ram?

I want atleast a g4, so the ibook is ruled out.

Do you need a portable? PowerBook 12" is your machine. Go see it.

You're not going to be happy with a desktop less than 1GHz. And as a PC user you want expandability. So, you should look for a new or used PowerMac dual 1GHz or faster.

With the PowerMac you can use your existing monitor, if you like.

couch potato

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
do you have a budget? if you don't, which would be cool, then wait for a G5:D they ship in august. but if you dont want to wait, G4 sounds great. what kinds of things do you use ur computer for? gaming, video editing, etc... whatever. it also depends if your big on upgrading. i know the G4 towers are MUCH better for upgrading than the imacs

scawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by couch potato
do you have a budget? if you don't, which would be cool, then wait for a G5:D they ship in august. but if you dont want to wait, G4 sounds great. what kinds of things do you use ur computer for? gaming, video editing, etc... whatever. it also depends if your big on upgrading. i know the G4 towers are MUCH better for upgrading than the imacs

Under $2000. I was looking at the dual g4 1.25 on apple's site.

I think I might get that. Its like $1750 without the super drive and such. I think I want to wait until dvd burning becomes more popular and the technology is better.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
prices can be bad thing to judge on sometimes. why dont you tell us specifically what you want to do with your computer and what you would hope to do it possible

iJon

StrongGlad

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2003
I agree with iJon -- what exactly are your intended uses?

That said, if you're willing to spend $1750-$2000, and don't care about the SuperDrive (and don't mind a 4-6 week wait) then I'd seriously consider the low-end G5 as opposed to the Dual G4. If you remove the SuperDrive as a BTO option, you can get the price down to $1799 for the G5. I think that even the slowest G5 is superior to the Dual G4 at most tasks, plus you'll get additional "future-proofing" by way of the 64-bit compatibility.

[edited due to a typo]

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by StrongGlad
I agree with iJon -- what exactly are your intended uses?

That said, if you're willing to spend $1750-$2000, and don't care about the SuperDrive (and don't mind a 4-6 week wait) then I'd seriously consider the low-end G5 as opposed to the Dual G4. If you remove the SuperDrive as a BTO option, you can get the price down to $1799 for the G5. I think the even the slowest G5 is superior to the Dual G4 at most tasks, plus you'll get additional "future-proofing" by way of the 64-bit compatibility.

the guy is looking for a good future proof low end mac :) I think a powermac 1.25 ghz is more his game. besides with the 500 dollars he saves he can go buy a ton of ram :)

StrongGlad

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by tazo
the guy is looking for a good future proof low end mac :) I think a powermac 1.25 ghz is more his game. besides with the 500 dollars he saves he can go buy a ton of ram :)

Perhaps, and I do prefer the aesthetics of the G4 (at least as of right now). Still, I think the advancements in the G5's architecture (true DDR RAM, faster FSB, Serial ATA, 64-bit, etc.) are hard to ignore, and are at least worthy of SERIOUS consideration given the minor difference in price between the Dual G4 and the low-end G5.

Great point on the RAM though -- whichever system he buys, he should make certain to budget for extra RAM (and don't buy the extra RAM from Apple! :) )

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by StrongGlad
Perhaps, and I do prefer the aesthetics of the G4 (at least as of right now). Still, I think the advancements in the G5's architecture (true DDR RAM, faster FSB, Serial ATA, 64-bit, etc.) are hard to ignore, and are at least worthy of SERIOUS consideration given the minor difference in price between the Dual G4 and the low-end G5.

Great point on the RAM though -- whichever system he buys, he should make certain to budget for extra RAM (and don't buy the extra RAM from Apple! :) )

I agree the extra G5 features are worthy of consideration. One must note that the only G4 systems apple sells are a 1.25 ghz combo, a 1.25ghz superdrive with a ton of ram, and a dual 1.25 with all the extras. the price jumps from 1299 to 1949 to 3274. So basically he doesnt skip to the G5 platofmr, he sort of falls flat on his face at the g5's door step. It seems Apple is sort of booting people to the G5 platform whether or not they can afford it.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
If you buy a G5 something to consider is that the RAM must be installed in pairs due to the dual channel DDR the G5 uses. For example, the base config of the Power Mac has 256MB of RAM on 2 128MB DIMMs. To upgrade it to 512, you can't just stick another 256 in, you have to put in another two 128s.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Buy the G5.

The speed difference will be worth it alone.

I personally wouldn't buy a G4. Very old technology. Just MHO.

scawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
I looked at the 1.6ghz G5 and I think thats what I'm going to get, minus the super drive and modem.

I figure I can always upgrade to the super drive and I can upgrade the chip later on.

The only thing that bothers me though is I'll have to take out the combo drive when I get a super drive, but I guess I could just get a firewire enclousure or something like that. I still want a read drive so I can make copies of cds.

tazo

macrumors 68040
I looked at the 1.6ghz G5 and I think thats what I'm going to get, minus the super drive and modem.

I figure I can always upgrade to the super drive and I can upgrade the chip later on.

The only thing that bothers me though is I'll have to take out the combo drive when I get a super drive, but I guess I could just get a firewire enclousure or something like that. I still want a read drive so I can make copies of cds.

you should note that in order to use a superdrive, it must be compatible with iDVD and Toast etc. Not all superdrives are! Also, there is no guarantee that you will be able to upgrade the chip on the G5, like you could with the G4. That should also be noted.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Originally posted by e-coli
I personally wouldn't buy a G4. Very old technology. Just MHO.
Jeez. I guess I should immediately throw away my ancient 900mhz iBook G3!!!!:D

scawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2003
Originally posted by tazo
you should note that in order to use a superdrive, it must be compatible with iDVD and Toast etc. Not all superdrives are! Also, there is no guarantee that you will be able to upgrade the chip on the G5, like you could with the G4. That should also be noted.

Yeah, I was looking at that and noticed a difference in the ram speed.

Hmmm. Maybe I will stick the g4 and then sell it when g5s are well..more uh...developed?

*shrug*

tazo

macrumors 68040
Yeah, I was looking at that and noticed a difference in the ram speed.

Hmmm. Maybe I will stick the g4 and then sell it when g5s are well..more uh...developed?

*shrug*

Yeah and on the G5 you must buy a pair of ram sticks. so if you see a 100 dollar ram stick, you must purchase 2 of them for $200.

I think your best bet is the 1.25ghz G4. Load it with as much ram as possible. I think that will be a much better experience for you :)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-scawt

All these ideas are good. And I tend to agree with them.

However...

Please, please, please, if you have an Apple Store near you - or even not near you, get over there and play.

And chooose what you are comfortable with - what you like, and what you can grow into.

Everything else is academic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.