Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Hi Guys,

firstly let me say long time reader first time poster :)

I am in a real pickle, my 2007 MBP just decided to break on me, so i need to get a new one. I have been looking at the MRA and MBR.

I will be using the laptop for around 7-8 hours a day for work a day, standard kinda stuff word, email, and some basic photoshop work. The first question i have is can the MBA handle that? can you work on the laptop for a day or will it overheat? and can it handle to workload?

What i see the pros and cons of each laptop

MBR -
Pros
big screen
is a beast
can work off it all day without a problem

cons
expensive
not as portable as the MBA

MBA-
pros
is not as expensive as the MBP
portability
SSHD

Cons
Can you work all day on it?
does it overheat?
will the screen size be an issue?

Any advice or tip would be great.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
MBA should be fine for your needs. The screen size in 13" is not that big issue as the resolution is same as in 15".

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
the MBA will be able to keep up just fine for your needs, and it actually doesn't get as hot as the MBPs. I also think the MBA gets slightly better battery life, even though on Apple's website it doesn't seem so. The MBA battery is tested with a new more stringent process than any other MacBooks and MacBook Pros Apple sells. I've been very impressed with my 13" MBA battery and performance.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
If I were in your position, I would get the MBA. But you should really check it out in the store to see if the screen would be big enough for you, since you are used to a bigger laptop. That would be the main issue for you. Performance-wise, it should be fine with your usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.