Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
NEC PA241W - calibrated for photo work. -Absolutely one of my best decisions ever.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
LG Flatron E2241 22" 1080p with HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs.
It was inexpensive at $160.

My 20" Apple Cinema Display quit the other day, so now I'm down to just the LG.
I'd buy another power adapter brick for the ACD if I could confirm that that is the problem. But I don't know of any way to test it. It could be a failed power button for all I know.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot these old Cinema Displays?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Eizo CG276W.

I've had it for a few months now and it is simply amazing. By far the best purchase I've ever made, second to my chair and workstation.

-SC

applegeek897

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
Main Display: Apple 30" Cinema Display
Second Display: BenQ 24" G2420HD

Love the Cinema Display sooo much I had it for almost two years but its a 2005 model and still running great. Would love to get a second 30" and also a 23" Cinema Display as a vertical display.

MacMadness

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Dallas TX
NEC PA241W - calibrated for photo work. -Absolutely one of my best decisions ever.

Professional use:
NEC PA301W (main retouching monitor) flanked by Aluminum 23" Cinema display
(Photoshop palettes/bridge/other secondary stuff).

I second the comments on the NEC.
The calibration software works flawlessly and it's the best monitor I've used to date for critical color work.
(Purchased to replace a tired 30" Cinema Display about 5 months ago)

Fun stuff: Old 17"/20"/22"/23 Acrylic Cinema ADC displays running with PowerPC G5's
as music servers around the house.
Not sure they'd be suitable for color critical work at this point,
but they sure are purty displaying itunes/Pure Music and album art.
(and just sitting there for that matter)...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The calibration software works flawlessly and it's the best monitor I've used to date for critical color work.

NEC is one of my favorites too.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Work: 2 thunderbolts and 15"rmbp

Home: 27 iMac and 2 thunderbolts. And a 3rd thunderbolt doing nothing til the Mac Pro ships.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Professional use:
NEC PA301W (main retouching monitor) flanked by Aluminum 23" Cinema display
(Photoshop palettes/bridge/other secondary stuff).

Fun stuff: Old 17"/20"/22"/23 Acrylic Cinema ADC displays running with PowerPC G5's
as music servers around the house.
Not sure they'd be suitable for color critical work at this point,
but they sure are purty displaying itunes/Pure Music and album art.
(and just sitting there for that matter)...

I had a few older monitors and gave them to friends who jumped ship and started Mac with Mac Minis. My old monitors were Dell, HP etc. (higher end monitors also for some photo work in their day but not nearly in the same league as the NEC). Kind of nice to see a few others who have discovered the goodness of the NEC PA line of monitors here.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
I have 2 MultiSync® PA271W such good monitors, bit pricey but so glad I didn't go for the apple ones. I hate gloss monitors! just waiting for a 4k monitor to put in the middle.

NEC for me is the way to go!

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
is there any chance in hell that the new cinema displays will be mac pro 5.1 and lower compatible?

Considering the current Display isn't compatible without adapters, I'd say no chance in hell. Better display's out there for the money anyway though.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
is there any chance in hell that the new cinema displays will be mac pro 5.1 and lower compatible?

Ha...

The current top of the line Apple display is NOT compatible with the current top of the line Mac Pro.....

Talk about a red headed step child.....

Good Question Though.....

Last edited:

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Using a 27" Apple Cinema Display and a Monoprice 27" IPS-Glass Panel Pro that I bought a month ago.

Screen is great, the stand not so much. Will likely get a 27" mount for my desk that will allow me to pivot this monitor if I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.