Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
image_large.jpg

In just over 10 days, the iPod touch will reached the longest time since updating, over 400 days since updates!!!

iPod touch is at "DO NOT BUY" status.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_Touch

What next for this device?

Will the protruding camera be redesigned in a similar fashion to the rumored iPhone 7?
New colors ready for the holiday season?
A complete redesign?
New chips?
3D touch?
Price drop?
Removal of headphone jack?

Forum, what's next for iPod touch?

Last edited:

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
I had an iPod classic and a 16GB 4S. The plan was to replace the classic with a touch. But instead I got a 128GB 6S and that's worked out great for me.

Except we have two 4Ses in the house. I use one for night time podcasts while my phone's on charge. And the children have a 4S for audiobooks at bedtime. I'd like an updated touch to replace these. But I'm reluctant to buy an A8 device when A10 is just around the corner.
[doublepost=1470595974][/doublepost]Would they remove the headphone jack??

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I had an iPod classic and a 16GB 4S. The plan was to replace the classic with a touch. But instead I got a 128GB 6S and that's worked out great for me.

Except we have two 4Ses in the house. I use one for night time podcasts while my phone's on charge. And the children have a 4S for audiobooks at bedtime. I'd like an updated touch to replace these. But I'm reluctant to buy an A8 device when A10 is just around the corner.
[doublepost=1470595974][/doublepost]Would they remove the headphone jack??
Yes, A10 is on the way, it would need to be A10.
Would they remove the headphone jack?? -- GREAT question!

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011

Seconded. I would buy an iPhone without an audio jack without a second thought, since I never plug headphones into my current phone. An iPod Touch without an audio jack? That one I'd have to think about.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
image_large.jpg

In just over 10 days, the iPod touch will reach the longest time since updating, 400 days since updates!!!

iPod touch is at "DO NOT BUY" status.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_Touch

What next for this device?

Will the protruding camera be redesigned in a similar fashion to the rumored iPhone 7?

New colors ready for the holiday season?

A complete redesign?

New chips?

3D touch?

Price drop?

Forum, what's next for iPod touch?

Its not the longest time since an update...

The Touch 4 was sold from September 2010 till September 2012 (as the top tier model), all they did was add a white colour option in October 2011.

The touch 5 was sold from October 2012 till July 2015 - The only changes made was adding a 16GB model in May 2013, then adding a camera to that in October 2013 and then colour changes in June 2014. I don't count colour changes or storage additions as a new model, so the Touch 6 has only been on sale for little over a year, compared to 2 years for the 4 and nearly 3 years for the 5.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Took Apple a while to update the 5th gen touches,

I'm expecting the same, that the 6th gen touches will be around for a while

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, me too. The A5 was on its way out so it really needed to be updated.

It will get whatever the SE has and maybe a price drop. I don't see the design changing as it's still thinner than the iPhone 6S.

As long as I can buy one in 128 GB I don't really care.

mariachi4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
Not much to ask for, just no protruding camera or get rid of it entirely and faster processor.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
In just over 10 days, the iPod touch will reach the longest time since updating, 400 days since updates!!!

As user oldmacs mentioned, going 400+ days without an "update" isn't really the longest time the iPod has gone without an update. The MacRumors count includes minor color/storage bump changes and the like, which is misleading. The previous/5th-generation iPod touch was the then-current generation for about three years. By the time they updated it last summer, it was in desperate need of it. One year with the 6th generation, and I don't feel the same way.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't get rid of the headphone jack. The iPod was created specifically for listening to music. I know a lot of people use their smartphones for that now, but I don't trust myself with mine at the gym, and I like to think of the iPod as cheap(ish) insurance for that. If they do, I guess the adapter is at least reasonably priced--as are some third-party Bluetooth headphones I used to use but could never make last (they fell apart all the gym with regular usage at the gym).

To answer the original question, I don't see much happening on this device for another year, maybe two. They may change a color or two, but I don't really care about those changes. I would expect them to eventually get rid of the 16 GB tier and adjust pricing of the rest accordingly, but I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until the next generation to do that (or maybe they won't do that for a while yet--they seem to like having a 16 GB version to enable lower pricing, which they once did with a camera-less version in the previous generation).

PS - Your post is somewhat hard to read. You may consider using less non-traditional formatting (centering, superfluous spacing, etc.) next time to make it better.

Reactions: smacrumon

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Most people can get smartphones so it is becoming more and more redundant.

Not everyone wants to give their kids phones, though. That said, my kids use iPad minis, just because we preferred that size for them for traveling and watching movies. But I would in theory give my kid an iPod with no monthly fees well before I'd give the same child a phone.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Seconded. I would buy an iPhone without an audio jack without a second thought, since I never plug headphones into my current phone. An iPod Touch without an audio jack? That one I'd have to think about.

The SE will replace the Touch next year.

The Watch will replace the nano.

The iPod Shuffle is the only one that will get an update, and it will come with a BT radio, and a Lightning port, and Lightning headphones. At $9 anyone who is buying the Shuffle to use with headphones they already have won't have a problem with a $9 adapter.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Yes, A10 is on the way, it would need to be A10.
The adapter is $9, fairly low for an Apple adapter, so it's more likely that they'll include one in the box for free if they remove the port on the 7g.

Reactions: smacrumon

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
The adapter is $9, fairly low for an Apple adapter, so it's more likely that they'll include one in the box for free if they remove the port on the 7g.
I'd like Apple to make ipod so incredibly desirable that even though you may carry an iPhone you just got to have the iPod touch as well it's just that amazing.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'd like Apple to make ipod so incredibly desirable that even though you may carry an iPhone you just got to have the iPod touch as well it's just that amazing.
They're really similar in the long-run, especially when the screen size is the same as an iPhone 5, 5s, and SE. The only compelling reason I can think of for getting both would be to have a smaller alternative to a 6/7 Plus.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Sadly it doesn't like like there are going to be new iPod Touches with the way things have been moving in the Apple world. I'm lucky I got the 6th gen when I did because it's my main music/social media device to keep my phone clutter free.

DeathBySprinkles

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
United States
With the size options and increasing battery life of IPhone models, I think that we are not far from a halt of development of the Ipod touch. Perhaps they will reallocate their dev team resources to keeping the nano line alive, and perhaps introducing an even higher storage classic. Ipod touch though, its soon to be deceased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.