Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
okay so i want to speed up my server a bit, right now it's a PM G4 (agp graphics) 350MHz, 704MB ram. I'm torn between a G4 upgrade (to around 1GHz, there's one on sale on fastmac.com for 159), a RAM upgrade (going to a gig or 1.2gb), or a hard drive upgrade (I have 120GB 7200rpm drive, thinking of making a RAID with another drive).

so what will be most beneficial to my server speed? I occasionally use the powermac for other things, but not a lot (I have my powerbook for that). I serve mainly static pages, but I have a growing mysql database for my stock photo gallery .

Any advice would be useful, so Thanks in advance! :)

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Go with the processor upgrade its cheap(according to fastmac) and the current 350 mhz your running on is DEATH. I think 704mb of RAM is enough, but you can upgrade it in the future. I dont know much about RAIDs so I cant help you there. I think you cant pass up the processor upgrade its buy far the thing your system lacks the most and $159 is just to good of a price.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Patmian212 said:
Go with the processor upgrade its cheap(according to fastmac) and the current 350 mhz your running on is DEATH. I think 704mb of RAM is enough, but you can upgrade it in the future. I dont know much about RAIDs so I cant help you there. I think you cant pass up the processor upgrade its buy far the thing your system lacks the most and $159 is just to good of a price.

thanks for the words of advice, I think I might go with the processor now, and keep a look out for some cheap RAM later on.
the intersting thing is, even though the 350 mhz G4 should be "DEATH" as you put it, but it does remarkably well for a lot of things. I even have it runnig final cut pro sometimes, and it does pretty well considering, even launches it as fast as my 1.5GHz powerbook :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.