Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have a Linksys Router, and I would like to block ports to P2P services like BearShare and Kazaa. Is there a way to do that with the router? Is there a good website the describes which applications use what ports?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Why do you want to block those ports? I think a better way to accomplish this would be to block all ports that you dont use... for instance everything but port 80 (web) and pop and smtp (whose port numbers escape me).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
joshuawaire said:
I have a Linksys Router, and I would like to block ports to P2P services like BearShare and Kazaa. Is there a way to do that with the router? Is there a good website the describes which applications use what ports?

by default the linksys firewall is up and blocks all ports. although, if you want people inside your network for using p2p then that is a different story.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
crazzyeddie said:
Why do you want to block those ports? I think a better way to accomplish this would be to block all ports that you dont use... for instance everything but port 80 (web) and pop and smtp (whose port numbers escape me).

Why keep those open. He only needs 80 if he's RUNNING a webserver, 25 for SMPT, and 21 for FTP. I doubt that most people who don't know how to block ports are running any of these daemons.

BEN

PS. To the original questions, block EVERYTHING

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
saabmp3 said:
PS. To the original questions, block EVERYTHING

I agree. There is no reason for that average user to leave any port open.

I give a warning though. If you do block evey port you have to read the instructions of your software more carefully. Some software requires certain ports open. You probably won't find this too often, but just be aware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.