Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jules001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a question for the experts, and I couldn't find a satisfactory answer online.

I just bought a new MBP 15'' with Mountain Lion and i'm liking the airplay mirroring A LOT in terms of potential.
I also have an apple TV hooked to my HDTV, which I am not using very much at the moment.

Here is my question :

My goal is to build a home system that allows me to alternatively play music (iTunes + Spotify) and watch movies (mainly .avi's through VLC) with the best quality possible in my leaving room.

On the video front, the answer is simple : mirroring my MBP screen to my HDTV whenever i'm watching something on VLC.

Concerning audio, it appears that I have two solutions, and I want to know which one you think is the best.

Option 1 : Buy any regular single speaker or sets of speakers, and hook them up to my Apple TV using the audio jack port. Whenever I want to listen to music or watch a movie, I send the audio content to Apple TV.
- Question 1 : Is it even possible to have the video mirroring + audio mirroring at the same time on apple TV? (in the case where i am watching a movie?)
- Question 2 : Will I need to rurn on my TV every time I want to listen to music?

Option2 : Buy an Airplay Speaker (like the B&W A7 or any other of the same type) and connect it to my MBP as the default sound output for both music and films.
- Question 3 : Can I simultaneously stream video content to my Apple TV and audio content through my Airplay speaker?
- Question 4 : Can I stream any kind of audio content to my set of airplay speakers, including Spotify or Youtube?

As you can imagine, Option 1 seem much better for me right now as I can buy any kind of speaker that can connect through an audio jack cable to my Apple TV, whereas the Option 2 is going to be much more expensive (Airplay speakers are pricey!!).

However if you think Option 2 will work better i am willing to spend more to have the most practical system possible.

Thanks guys for any input you can give me on this!! :)

J.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
as per below

Hi guys,

- Question 1 : Is it even possible to have the video mirroring + audio mirroring at the same time on apple TV? (in the case where i am watching a movie?)

Not at the same time no

- Question 2 : Will I need to rurn on my TV every time I want to listen to music?

Yes unless you connect the atv via optical lead direct to your sound system

Not sure about the airplay speakers as i don't have them myself

:cool:
J.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Hi guys,
to build a home system ... with the best quality possible in my leaving room.

On the video front, the answer is simple : mirroring my MBP screen to my HDTV whenever i'm watching something on VLC.
not really, the video quality you get from airplay mirroring can be horrible. especially for watching videos they playback will be very jerky, normal desktop (where the whole image isn't constantly changing) tend to do a bit better.

you'll get much better quality from something like airflick. i think there are a couple similar options out there now also.
or, an even better option is plex with the new plexconnect add-on, since it will allow you to browse and select your media from the aTV (the computer just has to be powered on)

with airplay mirroring, the sound should get sent along with the video, you may have to restart whatever application you are using once airplay mirroring is started.

if you want to stream sound from one application, look at airfoil. otherwise you can stream whole system audio directly from mountain lion.

you're probably better served getting a soundbar or something similar with an optical input.

Jules001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
So whatever audio system I buy I have to make sure it has an optical input (and not a jack plug), then plug my apple TV to it? What is the technical term for the optical input I need (what do I have to look for when shopping for a speaker)?

Then, I'll have a good sound mirroring but below average video mirroring (per answer above).

Did I understand correctly?

This is less ideal than I imagined...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.