Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
All of the sudden i can't open any applications from microsoft office. Word, entourage, nothing. I double click the icon it bounces in the dock then dissapears. I tried reinstalling it and nothing happens. i was trying all this with Office 2004 so i said ok lemme try with my older version Office v.x but the same thing is happening. Can anyone explain what is going on here? i really need this program to start working again immediately.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
All of the sudden i can't open any applications from microsoft office. Word, entourage, nothing. I double click the icon it bounces in the dock then dissapears. I tried reinstalling it and nothing happens. i was trying all this with Office 2004 so i said ok lemme try with my older version Office v.x but the same thing is happening. Can anyone explain what is going on here? i really need this program to start working again immediately.

Have you installed or removed any other software recently? Have you done anything to your operating system, such as installing additional components or removing them (say, running Monolingual)?

Regards,
Nadyne.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Have you installed or removed any other software recently? Have you done anything to your operating system, such as installing additional components or removing them (say, running Monolingual)?

Regards,
Nadyne.

I just had an apple airport card installed. No software tho.

xappeal

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
Brisbane - Australia
It's possible Rosetta has stalled or crashed. Restart, and check permissions.

This happens more frequently with 3rd party ram.

Edit: Just realised that if you installed a airport card, it is unlikely to be an intel machine.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
No i have a macpro intel core 2 duo i brought it to the mac store for them to install cause they said it was too complicated for me to do. I do not have 3rd party ram i had my ram put in when i ordered the computer from the apple store. If it is rosetta how do i rectify the problem?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Mark I have the same problem on my iMac :( I'll certainly appreciate any suggestions people have too.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Did you reboot and repair permissions as xappeal said?

Apparantly I can't repair my disk without booting from the install dvd that came with my computer. I can't seem to find that godamn thing anywhere. It's all here in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/280357/
I've noticed that more programs are also not opening. My photoshop and After Effects are acting in the same way which makes me believe even more it is rosetta that is not working. Is there any other way to get rosetta working again?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Apparantly I can't repair my disk without booting from the install dvd that came with my computer. I can't seem to find that godamn thing anywhere. It's all here in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/280357/
I've noticed that more programs are also not opening. My photoshop and After Effects are acting in the same way which makes me believe even more it is rosetta that is not working. Is there any other way to get rosetta working again?

You don't have to boot from the install DVD if your just repairing permissions. Open up disk utility (in /Applications/Utilities/ ), select Macintosh HD (or whatever your root volume is called) and click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Let it run, until it finishes, you should be good.

If that doesn't work you might have to do an archive and install from the original DVDs.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
You don't have to boot from the install DVD if your just repairing permissions. Open up disk utility (in /Applications/Utilities/ ), select Macintosh HD (or whatever your root volume is called) and click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Let it run, until it finishes, you should be good.

If that doesn't work you might have to do an archive and install from the original DVDs.

I verified and repaired everything and the programs still will not open. Is there anyway to fix rosetta without reformating?

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Ok i don't know if this will work but the latest update of office messed up my girlfriends copy of office. I read somewhere that deleting your microsoft user data folder solved the problem. I did it and sure enough, problem solved.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Ok i don't know if this will work but the latest update of office messed up my girlfriends copy of office. I read somewhere that deleting your microsoft user data folder solved the problem. I did it and sure enough, problem solved.

No that didnt seem to work.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I now have someone here experiencing the same problem. Word bounces once in the dock but doesn't start.

Edit: It's Mac Pro, 10.4.8, had been working fine until today. I can find plenty of other instances of people having this problem online, but no fixes. Any ideas?

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Bump.

Has anybody ever had this problem and fixed it without doing an archive and install?

Microsoft could release Office for Mac '2008' (is that really what they're calling it?) tomorrow and it'd still be too far away. One can't help but think they're being deliberately spiteful, the MBU (who I'm sure are all lovely) may make money but it wont do if everyone ends up installing Boot Camp just to get some decent performance out of a word processor and a spreadsheet application because they've given up the wait. :(

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Bump.

Has anybody ever had this problem and fixed it without doing an archive and install?

Microsoft could release Office for Mac '2008' (is that really what they're calling it?) tomorrow and it'd still be too far away. One can't help but think they're being deliberately spiteful, the MBU (who I'm sure are all lovely) may make money but it wont do if everyone ends up installing Boot Camp just to get some decent performance out of a word processor and a spreadsheet application because they've given up the wait. :(

My problem was due to rosetta crashing. I happened to notice Office wasnt working first and later realized my photoshop and after effects and anything else that wasnt made by apple or had a univeral binary version of it was not working. I did an archive and install and the problem was fixed for a day before new problems started to arise like quicktime giving an error everytime trying to play something in it or safari unexpectedly quitting every 5 minutes. I had to do a clean reformat to solve all the problems... not happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.