Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Okay I'm new to mac and I just got my first one (a powerbook 12") on chirstmas.
I have to say everything has been going great, nice and fast (expect for my internet connection), quiet no problems what so ever. Until today. I was trying to log on to AIM but it just wouldnt sign on at all, so I thought I'd try ichat and log onto aim from there. Everything was going smoothly until the the screen went dark (like when you open dashboard) and it said "You need to start your comuter" in like 30 different languages. So I did. This never happened to me before. Then I thought nothing must have happened. So I when I turned on the computer again and went to write an email to a friend. While I was writing (this was maybe 5 mins after restarting it) This black and white (it was highlighted black with white text) came up and said "System faluire" and all these numbers came up and these codes! And so I sat there staring at the screen and crying (I tend to get emtionally attached to my computers) and thinking I must be doing sometime wrong or my computer is going to die!
SO WHAT IN THE NAME OF CHIRST IS GOING ON?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Kernel panic means there was a hardware problem. If you keep getting them, call Apple, they'll have to fix it or replace it. Probably some defective part like RAM or the Airport card.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
GFLPraxis said:
Kernel panic means there was a hardware problem. If you keep getting them, call Apple, they'll have to fix it or replace it. Probably some defective part like RAM or the Airport card.

Just called them. While I was calling it happened again. The guy told me to do all this stuff and if it happens again to do disk utililty....I'm so scared! Why me? WHY!
Couldnt my pb be a normal happy computer without all these problems with its health?

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
mad jew said:
If their techniques don't work, then tell us exactly what you did and we can try to come up with new potential remedies. Good luck. :)

thanks! so far so good but if anything happens then I'll check back with you guys.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
jakochampolska said:
Just called them. While I was calling it happened again. The guy told me to do all this stuff and if it happens again to do disk utililty....I'm so scared! Why me? WHY!
Couldnt my pb be a normal happy computer without all these problems with its health?

1) Try running the Apple Hardware Test disc that came with your PowerBook. Perform the long check and make sure all your components are functioning properly.

2) Many times this is a simple RAM problem. Did you buy RAM from someone other than Apple? If so, it *might* not be of the highest quality. Also, some 3rd party Macintosh retailers have specials with free upgraded RAM. A lot of times this RAM is also flawed. If either case is true, try removing the after-market RAM. If you stop getting kernel panics, you need to return/replace the RAM.

3) When all else fails, take your computer into an Apple Store and have them check it out. Sometimes computers need to be fixed (or replaced). Like anything that is man-made, they can break. So just be happy that it's under warranty and that it won't cost you a dime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.