Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
We're going to see M4 MacBook Pros in about 6 months from now, that seems like a given. Apple often telegraphs features coming to its other products.

Will we see the nano texture matte screen option come to the MacBook Pro?

Also, Apple seems to be back to its obsession with thinness. Not to say this will happen in the next iteration of the MacBook Pro this fall, but is something to keep in mind for the next major redesign!

OLED on MacBooks seems like a couple years out still, but given the thinner iPad Pro, does this mean Apple's made headway on thinning out the FaceID sensor? Can that fit in a MacBook display yet? I'd say this might require OLED since the tandem panels might be thinner the Mini LEDs.

Thoughts?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
The nano texture may come to MBPs considering it's already available on the Mini-LED XDR display. Like you said, I think OLED is unfortunately still 1-2 years out, but I'm sure they will be bringing it to the Mac as soon as they can mass produce displays of that size.

The current MBP display housing is still much thinner than the new iPad Pro (remember the display doesn't need to house the computer guts or battery). I wouldn't take Face ID fitting in the iPads to mean it's definitely coming to the Mac. It seems more likely to me that they will let the display housing get thinner with the OLED panel instead of making it thicker to accommodate the face sensor.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
And I wouldn't be surprised with OLED if they find a way to significantly reduce or eliminate the notch. But again that may be a ways away.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not sure this translates to MBP. The focus on iPad Pro weight is because many consumers realize iPad Pro 13 + Smart Keyboard weighs (and costs more) than iPad Air 13. Plus, many people hold iPad with one hand, unlike MacBook Pro.

OLED won’t eliminate or reduce the notch because it’s two separate things. It’s easier during manufacturing to cut the film compared to rigid LCD for a notch, but OLED costs more.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Not sure this translates to MBP. The focus on iPad Pro weight is because many consumers realize iPad Pro 13 + Smart Keyboard weighs (and costs more) than iPad Air 13. Plus, many people hold iPad with one hand, unlike MacBook Pro.

OLED won’t eliminate or reduce the notch because it’s two separate things. It’s easier during manufacturing to cut the film compared to rigid LCD for a notch, but OLED costs more.
OLED will only eliminate the notch once we get under display Face ID/cameras, which are still a ways away.

Reactions: Burnincoco

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Forgot about one more thing: new iPad Pro thermal design. Even though the MacBook Pros have a fan, this new technique could help Apple thin out the MacBook Pro a tad.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I agree, due to the efficiency of the M4 I think they will either thin out the MBP or battery life will be significantly improved. Personally I’d prefer a thinner/lighter design.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
We should be getting to the point of a mid generation refresh. Perhaps the M4 may allow them to slim down the chassis a little without sacrificing battery life.

I also wonder if the M4 will even come to the full lineup. It seems like such a small improvement over the M3 (other than the neutral engine). Even smaller than the jump from M1 to M2… Maybe Apple does a longer cycle and takes us straight to M5 for the next MBP upgrade?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
We should be getting to the point of a mid generation refresh. Perhaps the M4 may allow them to slim down the chassis a little without sacrificing battery life.

I also wonder if the M4 will even come to the full lineup. It seems like such a small improvement over the M3 (other than the neutral engine). Even smaller than the jump from M1 to M2… Maybe Apple does a longer cycle and takes us straight to M5 for the next MBP upgrade?
M4 will undoubtedly come to the MBP this year as Apple wants to get chip production off of the dead-end N3B as soon as possible.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
That's a good point. Apple doesn't really do this as often as they should. The last time they did this was a late generation refresh in 2019 to replace the butterfly keyboard. That was when they replaced the 15" MacBook Pro with a slightly larger 16" MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.