Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
I'm planning on buying a Mac (probably a '24 Imac) within the next week and I pretty much know what I want.

The question is: are there any "must-have" items that I should get along with the computer itself? An hardware or software, or even extras that would make life easier that don't already come pre-packaged with the machine itself?

(For example I saw some folks talking about Iskins for the keyboards; a great idea for someone like me who has the bad habit of eating/drinking around his computer.)

[Edit]
I plan on using the Mac for pretty basic stuff: Email, Word Processing, web-surfing, probably some DVD/CD burning and music-related stuff. And maybe some telnet, if I can swing it.
[Edit]

Thanks!

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
What are you going to be using the mac for (so I can better recommend some hardware/software)

Toast 8 will be good if you are going to be burning dvd's/cd's...Definately get AppleCare, it's well worth it, and it's peanuts compared to the price of the 24" iMac...

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
What are you going to be using the mac for (so I can better recommend some hardware/software)

Toast 8 will be good if you are going to be burning dvd's/cd's...Definately get AppleCare, it's well worth it, and it's peanuts compared to the price of the 24" iMac...

Heh - good point. Edited my post to include that. At least initially I'll be doing pretty basic stuff: email, word-processing, web-stuff, DVD burning and music-related items.

If I ever get comfortable with the machine I may get a bit more adventurous...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if you have a lot of USB devices, a USB Hub is a good investment. (powered usually better)

id say give all the iLife apps a shot before looking for alternatives. they work great because of their integration. i can't think of anything that i consider 'must-have' besides MS Word. but you'll get a trial of iWork... so i'd say give Pages a try, even though its not meant to be an all out word processor.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
If you are going to be doing word-processing or spreadsheets, then you might want to get Microsoft Office for Mac....It's great because it works seamlessly with PC, so if you create a .doc on your mac and send it to a pc, they will never know the difference.

Or, you can buy iWork, which has a word processor (Pages) and Keynote, which is for like presentations, etc..

Your iMac will come with trial versions of both these softwares, so you can test it out before you buy.

The Airport Express is nice if you want wireless Internet, and you can also wirelessly share a USB printer with it, and stream your music wireless to your home stereo from iTunes..

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't buy office until 2008 comes out, this summer.
Eyetv Hybrid if you watch tv.
Toast 8 for all you burning needs and "cough" CD check bypassing.
Pick up a few blank CDs or DVDs if you dont have those already.

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
The question is: are there any "must-have" items that I should get along with the computer itself? An hardware or software, or even extras that would make life easier that don't already come pre-packaged with the machine itself?
Display adapter(s) for hoking it up to a TV, a leftover display, etc. A mouse that you find comfortable (we all have different tastes, and you'll be resting your hand on it for the next several yonks). A powered USB hub. No memory (from Apple that is... ;-) )

Mr Mac Newbie

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
London, England
Is it really worth buying AppleCare with it? I am buying my first mac today (a 20'' imac) but can't decide whether i really want applecare or not. I'd rather spend the money on a new ipod :D

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I wish i had applecare on my powerbook which has been covered in cake and is dying...the guy in the apple store said that they would have probably done something about it even though it was accidental damage!

Thats why i bought applecare for the MBP and MB in my sig

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
If you want to do some video editing spend the $99 on Final Cut Express as a bundle with the new Mac. It's a bargain and much more powerful that iMovie.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the first thing i bought with my new mac was a new mouse. i'm not particularly fond of apple's mighty mouse, and you might not be either.

7ttman

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
maximise

my best advice is to maximise your base configuration!

What I mean by that is buy as much memory as you can afford...
buy the biggest internal hard-drive
256mb graphics

anything else that's suggested can be easily added at any other time without having to pull the b*gg*r apart and invalidate your warranty (that you've probably paid for 3 years for!)

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Is it really worth buying AppleCare with it? I am buying my first mac today (a 20'' imac) but can't decide whether i really want applecare or not. I'd rather spend the money on a new ipod :D

Do you want to pay a bazillion dollars to fix your Mac when something breaks? AppleCare will pay for itself the first time something dies. On that note, you can buy AppleCare any time in the first year, but most people who don't buy it right away, forget, and then next thing you know your mac is out of warranty.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
And, if, while you are buying your mac, another person is buying a mac and they say AppleCare isn't needed because "Macs don't break down"...Kick them in the knees.

Hardware is hardware, it ALL breaks down.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
you have 1 year to buy applecare.....if you have the money, then go for the applecare.....if you think it's a little steep, then wait a little and see if you have problems.....and if you have none, then don't worry about it, if you do have problems in the first year, then get it.....:apple:

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
Display adapter(s) for hoking it up to a TV, a leftover display, etc. A mouse that you find comfortable (we all have different tastes, and you'll be resting your hand on it for the next several yonks). A powered USB hub. No memory (from Apple that is... ;-) )

Hrm. I never even thought of this. How does it work with hooking up an additional display? I have a fairly new Acer 19 inch LCD screen - would be nifty to have a second display hooked up - if I could figure it out. :confused:

925AS

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
You can wait to buy apple care. You have a year after purchase date to buy it. External speakers are key, while the iMac is ok, you will be amazed at the difference of having outside speakers.

Toast 8 is great. If you have a video iPod and don't need toast ( assuming you don't want to do major burning) and just want to convert videos for your ipod Popcorn is really simple and efficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.