Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I'm taking a trip to San Diego with the gf in a few weeks. We're staying at a hotel (Blue Sea Beach Hotel) on the beach in Mission Bay. We're driving up from Phoenix, AZ. We should get getting in late Friday night, staying all day/night Saturday, then coming back Sunday morning. I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions on places to go or things to do around Mission Bay? I realize it's a short amount of time, but it'd be nice to get a couple activities in, hit a tasty restaurant or two, etc. I've seen suggestions for a couple good food spots next to the hotel. We'll obviously spend some time on the beach as well. Any other "local" ideas?

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I'm taking a trip to San Diego with the gf in a few weeks. We're staying at a hotel (Blue Sea Beach Hotel) on the beach in Mission Bay. We're driving up from Phoenix, AZ.

You're actually driving down from Phoenix. ;)

Mission Beach, LaJolla, and the Gas Lamp area are fun spots.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
gosh.. Balboa park, The Del, if you have time, the Zoo, 94th Aero Squadron up by Montgomery Field, or maybe at least have a look at the border. Tijuana will be too much as it will be hellish crossing the border and a hell of a long time crossing back into the US. Just even looking at the congestion on that border from Google Maps looks horrid.

BL.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
ZERO reason to go to Tijuana. A real dump unless you need cheap prescriptions.

Walking around the malls around Hotel Circle would be more entertaining than going to Tijuana. However, you could just go there just to say that you've stepped foot in another country, then turn around. Other than that, I'd avoid it.

BL.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If you like beer, tour a brewery. Or just visit a brewpub.

There are plenty of good craft breweries, microbreweries, and brewpubs in the San Diego area. Stone Brewing Co (Escondido) and Green Flash spring to mind, but a little googling will likely find a lot more. Or just start reading here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_San_Diego_County,_California

If you like wines instead, well, there are some lovely little wineries around San Diego, too. I wish I could remember some names, but I wasn't the designated driver on any of my winery trips.

Reactions: sdilley14

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I love Daygo. I have a stepsister who lives there for 10+ years. Never wants to move back to Montebello in Hell-A county. And yes, glad you will be avoiding Tijuana. Back in the day, I used to say only go to TJ for a bj. The cops are corrupt there even if you aren't looking for cheap booze and women there. They can plant drugs on you to arrest you for a bribe or giant fee.

The best locations have been suggested now. Balboa Park, Mission Park, Gas Lamp, etc. Check out eating at Anthony's. They have a nice view of a couple of clipper ships. Too bad Del Mar racetrack isn't open and you missed out on Comic-Con. That's when San Diego County can get really get exciting. I am not really into that geek stuff except maybe Star Wars, Marvel films, and a few of my favorite video game series. But it can be quite fun taking photos next to cosplay peeps and the occasional celebrities during Comic-Con. I went there once in 2003 with my cousin and his buddies and had quite a bit of fun. I got to take a photo with Playboy centerfold, Lisa Marie Scott, whom I lusted since the mid-1990's. Google her and she was quite a babe in her heyday. I liked the free gimmies and watching artist draw a sketch of your favorite video game character too.

Reactions: sdilley14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.