Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Belkin's support centre sent me an firmware for my router as an .img file. Normally firmware files are .dlf extensions. I understand that .img file are NDIF images. But I do not know how to convert this image back into the .dlf file.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Belkin's support centre sent me an firmware for my router as an .img file. Normally firmware files are .dlf extensions. I understand that .img file are NDIF images. But I do not know how to convert this image back into the .dlf file.

.img is an image file. Similar to .dmg. Try using Toast to mount the image to get the files inside it. Or use disk utility.

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
.img is an image file. Similar to .dmg. Try using Toast to mount the image to get the files inside it. Or use disk utility.

Aie. Neither recognized the format. I did a search on Google and the .img looks like an old format. Or should I convert the image in Windows?

I cannot believe Belkin sent me such a file without instructing me how to process it. :mad:

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Disk Utility did not recognize the file on my iMac (10.4 Tiger), but it works on my Powerbook (10.3 Panther)!

I mounted the image, but what do I do now? I went through the menus and I am lost as to what to do next...

How do I get a dlf file from this mounted image?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
If it has mounted it should appear on your desktop. It will act like an external harddrive. Double click it to get to whats inside it. Then drag what you need to where you need it. Then 'eject' the mounted file by dragging it to the trash. Then you can delete the .img file (if you dont need it).

Caezar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
If it has mounted it should appear on your desktop. It will act like an external harddrive. Double click it to get to whats inside it. Then drag what you need to where you need it. Then 'eject' the mounted file by dragging it to the trash. Then you can delete the .img file (if you dont need it).

I clicked on the Mount button, but there is nothing on my desktop. Here is a shot of the Disk Utility window.

Is .img also used in the Windows environment? Maybe Belkin sent me a Windows image file?

Attachments

• Img.jpg
    Img.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,020

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
.img if i remember was a MacOS9 image filetype.

I think they behave similar to .iso files on a PC but Ive never used an ISO so would not know for sure.

Basically if you have an image file. You double click it and it will create an 'image' of the contents on your desktop. So you now have the .img file and another icon that is the actual content. You then double click this new icon and it will open a window and show you whats inside. This is where the .dlf files should be.

Because .img is an old format it may be unuseable in OSX. See if they have an OSX version (.dmg).

Thats pretty much as much as I can help you with as Im not an image file guru. Im just going on experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.