What to do with my new PowerMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by meeks, Aug 27, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

I just got a PowerMac G5 1.8 with 1GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive and a 15" LCD Monitor for $250 off craigslist tonight. I think thats a very good deal. My original idea was to just eBay it and make a few extra bucks, but now I think I want to keep it and use it for something. But for what? I already have a new iMac. So I'm asking for some suggestions on what I could use this for. Thanks!

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iTunes and file server ...

3. macrumors regular

that was my initial thought but right now i have the airport extreme with a couple hd's connected which serves up my content pretty nicely. would the powermac as a server have more options than the router?

4. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think so, hmmm ...

5. macrumors 6502

Nice buy!

6. macrumors regular

yes i agree, i practically stole it at that price. the 15" monitor sweetens the deal even more!

also does this mac have gigabit ethernet?

7. macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

huummm.........don't you remember the "Gigabit Ethernet" version of the G4 tower, released in July '02 :confused:..........

every mac since then has had it built-in as standard equipment ohyeauhhuhhadtohavitforsureohyea :eek:

8. macrumors regular

yes i just did a little googling and noticed that. thanks.

9. macrumors 65816

Offload it before the processor and/or motherboard fails.

10. macrumors 6502a

Got a HDTV? I would use it as a media server like people use mac minis...... except on a much larger scale

11. macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

If it hasn't failed by now, the chances are low that it will. Set it up for folding or SETI stuff. It will at least go to good use.

12. macrumors 65816

use it as a secondary computer, do u have others in the house or w.e u live in? let my parents use my eMac aslongg as i can put all my music on it which is on a external hdd

13. macrumors regular

i was thinking about letting a sibling use it but they seem to be more prone to macbooks. and i can't blame them.

14. macrumors 68000

disconap

Do you pay for webhosting? You can turn it into a webserver for free and save yourself some money, provided you aren't getting millions of hits a month...

15. macrumors 68000

TheReef

That is a very good deal, but for such a good machine it would be a waste to turn it into a server.

You could use it to experiment with and explore Terminal and the inner workings of the Mac OS, or make it a dedicated machine for a certain purpose…Programming, Photography, Mini music studio etc.

16. macrumors regular

You could leave it on and use it as a space heater.

17. macrumors 68000

disconap

True, but actually because of how good a machine it is, you could do both if you do the server in OSX. OSX's web sharing can run in the background and won't effect anything but the more high-end apps. :)

18. macrumors 68000

disconap

It's funny because it's true. I have to turn my processors to the low-end setting in the peak of summer to keep from dying of heat exhaustion...

19. macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yeah true, good point. That's actually what I do locally haha, for some reason I was under the impression of you meaning a box hidden under the stairs. #laughs at my stupidity

The OP could host his work to his friends.

20. macrumors member

Sounds like you've already been through all the options, sell it before it devalues more

21. macrumors regular

that seems to be the option im leaning towards

22. macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

x2, sell it.

23. macrumors 65816

You an just use it as another machine. It's perfectly usable.

24. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm going to say sell it, since you've got all the other practical options covered.

25. macrumors 6502a

not to threadjack, but whats a good way to set up a G5 1.8 as a server?
    I have one as well that runs leopard pretty good with 2gb of memory and a 250GB harddrive, i have a MP that i have transferred all my apps and do all of my productivity from there and have just been using the G5 as an entertainment solution, but wanted to host a site or two from there, but dont have OSX Server....

any good tips on getting that started? my sites generally get about 800 - 1200 hits a day i think it can work pretty decent.