Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
the next one, can really have all of it...16gb ram we already have a rumour, 1 tb ssd has very high chances since the Pro now offer 2T, for that LG it must have TB3 and you are good to go and buy. Lets see what march event will prepare for us

Can you provide ANY source stating that Kaby Lake Y chips will support any kind of Thunderbolt natively (i.e. will not need the Alpine Ridge chip). It's been stated again and again that while the higher power Kaby Lake chips will get TB3 support, the ultra low power Y chips which the rMB use will not without the Apline Ridge chip. It will likely run a 4K monitor via Display Port over USB-C but I wouldn't bet on 5K support.

dammerl

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Europe
If I could have my cake and eat it too, my dream setup would be:

current 2016 retina MacBook footprint & weight, with
- thunderbolt 3 (I'll live with a single port)
- 16 GB RAM
- 1 TB SSD
- enough GPU to run the LG Ultrafine 5K

But I'm sure that's not realistic, unfortunately.

Yep. Throw in a second port for me, and I will order it immediately. But I don’t think this will happen.

With only one port, I don’t know…

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Since the ntMBP is due to a price cut "thanks" to its selling, is kind of sure that the Macbook will see a price drop too, since,if not,the difference it will be almost 0 in price

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Since the ntMBP is due to a price cut "thanks" to its selling, is kind of sure that the Macbook will see a price drop too, since,if not,the difference it will be almost 0 in price

Price cut on ntMBP due to bad sales? Could you please provide more info/links? Thanks :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I love my original 12" MacBook, but after using the new 13" rMBP 2016 as my work machine there are a few things that would be nice to have and make me upgrade the 12".

- Thunderbolt 3
- 4k 60hz native (Plus scaled resolutions)
- A second TB3 port (A bit too dreamy I think)
- Upgraded keyboard (to be like the 2016 rMBP)

Touch ID would be nice but I can live without touchbar/Touch ID.

kramerdude

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
I still think there's a chance they will drop the headphone jack and add a Lightning port. But otherwise, yes, I think it's due for a price drop if it's really going to take the place of the MBA, especially now that the new MBP's are out.

Why would they add lightning to a laptop? That wouldn't seem to add any functionality. Android/other users would have zero use for it, and they need this laptop to be attractive to everyone.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Why would they add lightning to a laptop? That wouldn't seem to add any functionality. Android/other users would have zero use for it, and they need this laptop to be attractive to everyone.

I could be wrong, but don't think Apple's first concern is for the Android users. The MB works as a product because it's part of the Apple ecosystem. It's already crippled by only having one combo data/charging port, making iCloud, AirDrop, and AirPlay essential tools for the average user. Regardless of whether it's a 2nd USB-C port or not, is not going to eliminate the need for adapters and dongles for those who really need a second port.

If Apple adds Lightning to the MB, it serves primarily the Apple ecosystem -- Lightning headphones, adapters and accessories suddenly become useable natively on the MBA. Currently, there is no female Lightning adapter to male USB-C. That's ether by design, and Apple plans to drop Lightning altogether sooner rather than later, or Apple is planning to introduce Lightning to the MacBooks; or they've royally screwed up (which is not outside the realm of possibility). Adding Lightning would allow iOS users to instantly have an assortment of adapters and dongles available for their MB, not to mention instant compatibility with their iPhone & iPad cables and chargers. It would also reduce Apple's manufacturing costs, by allowing them to make one device for both platforms.

And then there's the Lightning headphones. Maybe Apple removes the headphone jack, and includes an adapter. If it's Lightning, then Android users aren't deprived of anything they don't already have, they just have to use the adapter for their headphones, or maybe they use their BT headphones instead. However, if they want to invest in Lightning accessories, they have a fully functional extra data port that they don't have now, which will allow them to transfer data, charge their MB while the USB-C port is in use. And Apple profits in the process. If an Android user already has a BT headphone, then whether it's a Lightning port, or headphone jack, it's just as wasted on them.

If Apple wanted to add an additional port, they probably would have done so already, and let customers buy a USB-C to headphone jack adapter, with the rest of the dongles, docks, adapters and cables required to do anything but charge the MB. By adding Lightning, they are servicing their Apple customers, keeping them in the fold, giving them incentive to buy a MB for which they may already have Lightning accessories, and taking nothing away from non-Apple users. If an Android user buys a rumored Galaxy 8 without a headphone jack, while they may need USB-C to connect their headphones, if they're using a MB, then they are already used to carrying around extra stuff, so it won't change anything. Indeed, Lightning would offer them a second port to use with a Lightning to USB-C adapter, which is one more than they currently have.

Or, Apple will replace it with USB-C and drop Lightning on the iPhone, as they eliminate ports altogether and go with rumored wireless charging. Either way, customers will still need an adapter to connect 3.5mm headphones to the MB, and the iPhone, and an jackless Android, so that doesn't really make it any better for Android users than adding a Lightning port specifically for Apple users (and likely serves far fewer), at least until Android users are mostly using USB-C Android phones, which is likely years away.

Last edited:

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I could be wrong, but don't think Apple's first concern is for the Android users.
Definitely not. To only mention iMessage and FaceTime.

an assortment of adapters and dongles available for their MB
I'm sorry I chuckled at this.

If it's Lightning, then Android users aren't deprived of anything they don't already have, they just have to use the adapter for their headphones
...or Windows.

Personally, while I use the 3.5mm jack on my phone daily, I think I used it one single time on a rMBP and not even once on Air. I'd prefer another USB-C – well I would actually prefer MagSafe but before this happens Eddy Cue will voluntarily give away half of his earnings admitting that he's been doing a bad job. I would be very tempted to buy a 14" rMB with 2nd gen keyboard for just one reason, I type a lot and rMBP is slicing my wrists (yes, I know I'm typing on it wrong). Also I like the idea of having a very light computer. I actually looked at Windows alternatives but let's say none of them has tempted me – they either cost the same as rMB (and despite Sierra I far prefer macOS) or they're, um, a bit on the **** side of things.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
yep, for the lightest portable wireless mac, we could get rid of the jack and put another port usb-c or lightning, doesn't matter, but if they put lightning...then how about the macbook pro? so i guess the only logic choice is another usb-c

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
Can you provide ANY source stating that Kaby Lake Y chips will support any kind of Thunderbolt natively (i.e. will not need the Alpine Ridge chip). It's been stated again and again that while the higher power Kaby Lake chips will get TB3 support, the ultra low power Y chips which the rMB use will not without the Apline Ridge chip. It will likely run a 4K monitor via Display Port over USB-C but I wouldn't bet on 5K support.
I have been looking around at the new laptops containg Kaby Lake Y Core i5-7Y54. Asus Zenbook and Acer Swift and a few others. I haven't found one laptop that contains a Thunderbolt 3 port, all have USB 3.1 via USB-C. So I would assume this assumption is correct and the lower power chips don't have Thunderbolt 3 support without another controller.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I still think there's a chance they will drop the headphone jack and add a Lightning port. But otherwise, yes, I think it's due for a price drop if it's really going to take the place of the MBA, especially now that the new MBP's are out.
I agree with the price drop but they are not going to add lightning to the MacBook. They do not see Lightning as the future of audio and having 2 similar looking ports (although very different in my and many others eyes) may be confusing in terms of functionality and support.
I think dropping the headphone jack on the MacBook is very possible but probably not yet and it will likely be replaced by a second USB-C port.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I agree with the price drop but they are not going to add lightning to the MacBook. They do not see Lightning as the future of audio and having 2 similar looking ports (although very different in my and many others eyes) may be confusing in terms of functionality and support.
I think dropping the headphone jack on the MacBook is very possible but probably not yet and it will likely be replaced by a second USB-C port.

But then Apple has to commit to USB-C audio, or at least support for it. Not a great marketing move. And I don't believe anybody will confuse Lightning with USB-C in any practical way. For starters it will be located on the opposite side of the MB (it won't even be next to the USB-C ports on the MBP), and they will quickly learn that a USB-C connector won't even begin to fit into it. Moreover, the people who buy the overpriced MB are likely going to be Apple users who are well aware of what to do with a missing headphone jack -- the people Apple would be catering to with such a decision (again, why would Apple chose to support Android customers?). If they go USB-C they not only tacitly admit they were wrong about a single port Mac, but also wireless which is the alternative that makes one port possible. Moreover, they now require Apple customers who uses the Lightning headphone, or adapter, to buy yet another adapter for use solely with their MB. That's not a pretty picture for a loyal Apple customer.

Regardless, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm predicting the next MB will likely be the make-or-break point for my theory. If they release yet another MB without addressing the headphone jack, then as you say, they will likely never embrace Lightning, and that will likely be the harbinger for their completely wireless ecosystem. But if they do that, I also don't see them giving into adding another USB-C port yet, and proving all of their critics right, especially since it telegraphs their intentions for Lightning. They will keep the headphone jack until they can justify the space to remove it, taking the criticism in the process. Perhaps the most obvious indicator that Lightning is on its way out is the fact that 5 months after the iPhone 7 was released, there's still no way to connect a pair of Lightning headphones to a Mac. But like so many Apple "innovations", that could also be the result of not being ready to roll out that support yet.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
But then Apple has to commit to USB-C audio, or at least support for it. Not a great marketing move. And I don't believe anybody will confuse Lightning with USB-C in any practical way. For starters it will be located on the opposite side of the MB (it won't even be next to the USB-C ports on the MBP), and they will quickly learn that a USB-C connector won't even begin to fit into it. Moreover, the people who buy the overpriced MB are likely going to be Apple users who are well aware of what to do with a missing headphone jack -- the people Apple would be catering to with such a decision (again, why would Apple chose to support Android customers?). If they go USB-C they not only tacitly admit they were wrong about a single port Mac, but also wireless which is the alternative that makes one port possible. Moreover, they now require Apple customers who uses the Lightning headphone, or adapter, to buy yet another adapter for use solely with their MB. That's not a pretty picture for a loyal Apple customer.

Regardless, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm predicting the next MB will likely be the make-or-break point for my theory. If they release yet another MB without addressing the headphone jack, then as you say, they will likely never embrace Lightning, and that will likely be the harbinger for their completely wireless ecosystem. But if they do that, I also don't see them giving into adding another USB-C port yet, and proving all of their critics right, especially since it telegraphs their intentions for Lightning. They will keep the headphone jack until they can justify the space to remove it, taking the criticism in the process. Perhaps the most obvious indicator that Lightning is on its way out is the fact that 5 months after the iPhone 7 was released, there's still no way to connect a pair of Lightning headphones to a Mac. But like so many Apple "innovations", that could also be the result of not being ready to roll out that support yet.
But it won't be committing to USB-C audio really as they're not interested in wired audio but it's their choice if they offer 1st party solutions.

You or I may never confuse them but the groups of the target market of the MacBook are a lot more likely too. The price will go down and it will become the entry level MacBook soon, although I don't think that will happen this year. Similarly, I don't think that they will remove the headphone jack in this generation.
But if they do add a lightning port, then I really hope it is in addition to a USB-C/TB3 port.

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
If I could have my cake and eat it too, my dream setup would be:

current 2016 retina MacBook footprint & weight, with
- thunderbolt 3 (I'll live with a single port)
- 16 GB RAM
- 1 TB SSD
- enough GPU to run the LG Ultrafine 5K

But I'm sure that's not realistic, unfortunately.

Quoting myself here, but I forgot to add something!

Currently at a coffee shop in London on a business trip with my wife, and typing from an iPad Air with cellular, makes me remember I'd like a cellular modem and a sim slot as an option for the macbook. That would make it a true road warrior. Currently, our mobile provider allows us to add a data sim to our subscription and that shares the data with the regular subscription, so works out great.

Id be fine with it being a 125 USD BTO option or something.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
Query here.. I got CoreM3 1.1 GHz last weekend in BestBuy Sale for 920 dollars..:D

My usage: Basic tasks, Browsing in Safari 10 tabs, some photo edits, watching movies hd. I dont render videos.

Its performance is fine.. Should I return it and wait for new gen Macbook.. Do you think Kaby lake would be miles better? Hows the upgrade factor for this macbook regards to next Mac OSes. Will it serve me 5 years atleast? My MBP 13 2010 lasted 6 years!

semihat

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
Are the arrow keys really needed in the MacBook? Maybe apple can find a way to eliminate them for 2017.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Are the arrow keys really needed in the MacBook? Maybe apple can find a way to eliminate them for 2017.

Sure. And while they are at it, they could eliminate the screen as well. It would make a device even thinner!

Reactions: navaira

vivek28

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2013
Will the macbook 2017 be launched with updated display like of mbp13 2016? Wide color gamut, high brightness and contrast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.