Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notquitefob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
Hi, currently in the market to purchase the PB12" with SuperDrive. I'm no expert at this, been using PCs all my life, recently looking to pickup a laptop and hoping to try something new.

The current PB12" was updated 9/2003 as follows -
12" PowerBook, 1GHz PowerPC G4, 512K L2 Cache, 256MB PC2100 Memory, NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 (32MB), 40GB Hard Drive, Built-in Bluetooth, Airport Extreme Ready.

I was curious as to what we can expect from the next update. Since it's a PB12" I'm pretty sure the G5 won't make it onto this platform for a long while but does it look like perhaps it will recieve hand-me-downs from the 15 and 17 inch counterpart.

If anyone has any clue, or any opinions on when and whether or not the next PB12" will include:

ATI mobility 9600
PC2700 DDR
1.25ghz G4
-----------------

Hopefully then i can decide if i should go ahead and purchase the PB12", or perhaps wait a month and get the next update, since that's when most people are expecting a little tweak from Apple. Thanks so much in advance for any replies, been doing some reading and this forum is a great source for information.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
notquitefob said:
I was curious as to what we can expect from the next update. Since it's a PB12" I'm pretty sure the G5 won't make it onto this platform for a long while but does it look like perhaps it will recieve hand-me-downs from the 15 and 17 inch counterpart.

If anyone has any clue, or any opinions on when and whether or not the next PB12" will include:

ATI mobility 9600
PC2700 DDR
1.25ghz G4
-----------------

Ok, we don't know. Speculation is rife. New G4 chips are being touted as the next upgrade but it couild be that only a few months after that the G5PBs would appear anyway - this happened before with Al book and current models.

12" is likely to get the least bump due to size I guess from what people are rumoring.

Bump is likely to at least be announced, I hazard to say, at end of June at the WWDC...but it could be anytime...it could be next year (although that's unlikely - new G4s would appear this year to tide them over if the G5s don't appear).

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
notquitefob said:
Hi, currently in the market to purchase the PB12" with SuperDrive.

You know what ?... I am in the market for a PB with SD as well— I really want the 12", but I can't force myself to do it... Not with the 15" with the same specs. darn near the same price... Just something for you to consider... Now, I personally want no parts of a 15" laptop, but that's just me- it may be a perfect size for you...

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
notquitefob said:
Hi, currently in the market to purchase the PB12" with SuperDrive. I'm no expert at this, been using PCs all my life, recently looking to pickup a laptop and hoping to try something new.

The current PB12" was updated 9/2003 as follows -
12" PowerBook, 1GHz PowerPC G4, 512K L2 Cache, 256MB PC2100 Memory, NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 (32MB), 40GB Hard Drive, Built-in Bluetooth, Airport Extreme Ready.

ATI mobility 9600
PC2700 DDR
1.25ghz G4
-----------------

Hopefully then i can decide if i should go ahead and purchase the PB12", or perhaps wait a month and get the next update, since that's when most people are expecting a little tweak from Apple. Thanks so much in advance for any replies, been doing some reading and this forum is a great source for information.
It is really anyones guess as to what to expect in the next revision...that said I would expect one of these scenarios:
1) If the next update is w/ G4s, then I expect the PB line to look like this:
12"PB @ 1.25Ghz
15"PB @ 1.25, 1.4/.5 Ghz
17"pb @ 1.5/1.6 Ghz
(I have seen that new G4s have been clocked at 1.5 Ghz, I do not know if they are able to go to 1.6 or beyond, yet a clock increase from 1.25 to 1.4 seems a little small...just trying to keep the same gaps as current line)

In addition, I would probably guess that the video cards would be updated to the ATI 9700 for the 15" and 17" models, leaving a good possibility that the 12" would receive the 9600. I have heard that there is not much of a difference to the two cards, though...

I believe the 12" will stay with ddr266 until G5 revisions, as it is probably an unnecessary effort to re-work the architecture for only one revision.

There is a possibility that the 12" would get FW 800, but not likely for the reason I just mentioned.

2) The PB line goes G5...
In this case it is true speculation...but a guess anyway...
12" 1.2 G5
15" 1.2 and 1.4 G5
17" 1.6 G5
These are conservative estimates, but with the talk of heat management, I feel that they will be initially clocked rather low...but the revamped architecture will improve performance...I also expect some kind of case redesign to accomodate the cooling needs...there are some who say the PB 12" may not make the transition to G5 at the same time as its' bigger siblings because of its' size...or may be discontinued or left as a G4 for a while longer...although I don't agree.
With this possibilty I could see the 12" get FW 800, but probably not the back-lit keyboard(because of space issues).

With either possibility you may see modest HD upgrades also, in size and hopefully to at least 5400rpm...
I do not expect any revision till May/June...but we will see, but the current 12" is a fine machine, bearing in mind it is designed for portability, not raw power...there are great deals on refurbished units...hope my rampant speculation has helped in some way...

Indiana Mac

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2003
Athens, Georgia
One thing I'm pretty sure they will get is atleast the option to have a backlit keyboard. I think apple will do this to try and create more of a difference between it and the ibook line.

I'd like to see a new graphics card(up to 64mb) of ram, and a speedbump.

notquitefob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
Indiana Mac said:
One thing I'm pretty sure they will get is atleast the option to have a backlit keyboard. I think apple will do this to try and create more of a difference between it and the ibook line.

I'd like to see a new graphics card(up to 64mb) of ram, and a speedbump.

Swung by the Apple store today and took a look at the PB line. I did a lot of reading and found that heat and power consumption will be a major issue with putting the G5 in the PB line. I seriously doubt that they will fit the 12" with the G5 even if they manage to make it work in the 15 and 17". My best guess thus far would be the

12" get a small boost in power to 1.25ghz
ATI9600
backlit keyboard

I think with that little update, i'll be ready to purchase. Still very worried about my personal transition from PC -> Mac, but i'm sure it will be a matter of time since I personally do a lot of school work in the UNIX environment so this will be the best route for me to take.

thanks for everyone who replied, if anyone have news regarding anymore rumors or updates for the PB 12", please feel free to fill the rest of us in on it.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
notquitefob said:
SNIP
Still very worried about my personal transition from PC -> Mac, but i'm sure it will be a matter of time since I personally do a lot of school work in the UNIX environment so this will be the best route for me to take.
SNIP
Really, I don't think you'll find it hard. If your PC user base is low then grab a book like Teach Yourself Visually, OSX 10.3 Panther... ISBN 0-7645-4393-8 http://www.wiley.com/compbooks.

If your more experienced then pic up an o'reilly book on Panther or one of the four or five other manuals. There are also a few switcher manuals...

OSX is more intuitive than XP, more protected form accidental stuff ups etc. If you have a Unix background then there is even a Panther for Unix Geeks book.

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
I think it's possible for G5's to come to the 15" and 17", but i don't see them getting one in the 12". So, if I were running Apple, you'd see G5 15" and 17", while they put a low-power 1.25 ghz G4 in an all-new widescreen 12.x". The new 12" would be an inch thin to fit the form factor of the other 'books, and would be a little lighter, too. Apple made the smallest ultraportable (with optical drive) when they first came out with the 12", and since then other makers have managed to match the size/weight/functionality ratio fairly well. I'd like to see Apple jump ahead again.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
My guess is that we'll see a new G4 revision within the next 3-4 weeks. If this scenario turns out bo be true, we won't get G5 PBs until September. But it's also possible that G5 PB will be launched as early as WWDC. In this case they would keep the current models until then. As for the future of the 12" PB, more opinions can be found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/64755/

notquitefob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
Zaty said:
My guess is that we'll see a new G4 revision within the next 3-4 weeks. If this scenario turns out bo be true, we won't get G5 PBs until September. But it's also possible that G5 PB will be launched as early as WWDC. In this case they would keep the current models until then. As for the future of the 12" PB, more opinions can be found here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/64755/

Either if the G5 does come to PB, i highly doubt that it will be available for the 12 inch due to the size restriction. Since the biggest issue thus far is heat and battery consumption, it'd be logical to assume that the PB won't get a taste of it for a while since battery size and heat dissipation becomes even harder on a small laptop.

However.. you never know... I'm hoping that no matter the case with G5, they can bump the 12 inch CPU whether it be G4 or G5.. and upgrade the video card to something more comparable to the 15 and 17 inch counterparts. I guess they can always put a detuned G5 in the 12 and have the 15 and 17 inch laptops, but from what i've heard, it'll be a good while before the G5 can be well integrated into the PB.

I guess it's just waiting for the CPU bump of the 12" and off i go getting a PB G4 (12). Thx for everyone who replied !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.