Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
I've got Leopard 10.5.8 installed but can't seem to find a correct version of Flash

Also are there any other Web browsers that supports 10.5.8 ?

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Got tenfour fox installed along with flash player but can't seem to view YouTube or iplayer etc

Is there a plugin for the browser ?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Out of the FAQ linked above:

If you have the latest flashplayer,your best bet is to use Mactubes and play the videos through quicktime.

If your problem is with flash sites,your best bet is trying one of the browser above.
Don't expect miracles,flash runs poorly on macs,even on new macs the performance on macOs vs windows is very bad.

*There is a new tweak to make PPC Macs run latest flash see this thread.

*If you use Safari, there is an extension called YouTube5 which plays the HTML 5 version of the filehttp://www.verticalforest.com/2010/10/27/youtube5-version-2/

Some people tell that in certain sites if you use Safari and do this:
Safari>Preferences...>Advanced and check the "Show Develop menu in
menu bar" and then go to the Develop menu and change your "User Agent"
to "Safari iOS 4.3.3 – iPad"
It will play through quicktime.​

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
My browser of choice is Leopard Webkit - http://code.google.com/p/leopard-webkit/. This is one of the few modern browsers that are still able to use plugins - TenFourFox is not. For me, it also runs considerably faster than TFF.

Although Flash Player 10.1 is the last version to run on PPC OS X, there is a modified version that identifies itself to websites as 11.5 - this allows a surprising number of sites to work. http://scriptogr.am/nordkril/post/adobe-flash-11.5-for-powerpc

BBC iPlayer, among other Flash video players works absolutely fine on my Power Mac G4 with this combination. You won't be able to play HD video in Flash, but standard def is usually fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
TenFourFox disabled plugins (which includes Flash) somewhere around version 20 as a security precaution. If you really want to run Flash in T4Fx, try using a version before 20.

You can find older versions at their sourcecode depository. Just do a Google search, or if you want just go to the blog (tenfourfox.blogspot.com) and find any of the links to the betas. That will give you access to the depository and if you click on the downloads link you should be able to find older versions for your specific model.

Note that because PowerPC has long been abandoned and passed over, when it comes to browsers you should realize that there is NO single browser that is a jack of all trades.

harrymatic suggests LeopardWebkit. That's a modern, regularly updated version of Safari. Safari, Camino and some other browsers (generally webkit) are better at handling Flash than T4Fx is, even older versions of T4Fx. Many of us (such as myself) have specific browsers for specific reasons. Most of my general browsing is done in T4Fx, but if I need to use (or want to use) Flash I switch to Camino or Safari.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
TenFourFox discontinued support for plugins in versions after 17 because Mozilla removed support from Carbon based plugins from the codebase. It was deemed to difficult and not worthwhile to merge the code changes back into the source.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
iCab, Roccat, SeamonkeyPPC

Dont forget about iCab. Its a decent little webkit browser. No, I don't know what version of webkit the stock iCab is using, but I believe there was a post not long ago that showed how you can make Leopardwebkits engine work in all webkit browsers. That would also breathe new life into Roccat and Omniweb.

And don't forget to install clicktoflash and clicktoplugin in Leopardwebkit. This both blocks flash AND presents itself as flash and many websites will then offer up the video in quicktime. Its a little tedious to get all the settings right (ie, making sure the plugin is presenting itself as flash 11 something), search for posts in this forum by B-G on this topic.

Seamonkey PPC is still going strong as well, and I think he (hiker_biker) has put support for carbon plugins back into SeaMonkey. So nifty tricks such as the Greasemonkey scripts viewtube and viewtube plus should work. I find Seamonkey to be a little slower than TFF or LWebkit, but its charming, in a Netscape 4.0 kinda way. Beggars cant be choosers in 2014.

Tenfourfox, while it has no flash or plugin support has the quicktime enabler for youtube, or is it the mactube enabler....Works on some other sites too. Also, look for sites that dont use flash. Yes, they exist.

And lastly XBMC....it no longer supports PowerPC, but the older version still works, and opens up a world of video playback, if you can stand the occasional CRASH.

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Ok I've sorted that with the newer version of Flash player hacked, just need ms office to be able to run

Any idea what version will run on this, 2003 ??

And where can I pick it up from or maybe open office ???

Rottweiler01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Just looked online and it's still quite expensive to buy maybe an older version might be cheaper

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Ok I've sorted that with the newer version of Flash player hacked, just need ms office to be able to run

Any idea what version will run on this, 2003 ??

And where can I pick it up from or maybe open office ???

You need ms office to run flash?

If you just need a word processor I'd also like to introduce LibreOffice or Mellel (the latter seems more sophisticated).

On the browsers: I found it is helpful to have not only one browser installed. I have Safari to work with my internet-provider, since no mozilla sibbling works good with the providers page. For Banking I always use T4Fx (though I have long used Firefox 3.6.28). I try to use T4Fx as main browser, but when it takes to long for site build-up or I see other problems (that are not flash related), I quit it and start Safari or FF 3.6. (with add-block and no-script enabled). Though it is not recommended to cross-switch between T4Fx and FF, because it is said, it can harm these browsers.
I tried others (Camino, Seamonky, Sunrise, Omniweb and icab) as a substitute for FF 3.6.28 (for the case I can't use T4Fx), but they didn't work out for me as good as FF 3.6 (though I still have the afore mentioned browsers installed. I keep icab fro nostalgia reasons, too, because I know it since OS 9 times).

edit: I might add, that I use FVD (Fast-Video-Download) and videodownloadhelper with FF 3.6.28, more for keeping videos for the future, other than being able to watch them (like one uses QTenabler or MacTubes in T4FX to being able to watch videos). Some videos work without downloading in Safari and FF, that do not work in T4FX (with my internet behaviour at least, others have different results). One just has to try.

Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Any suggestions for a word processor for the G5 ?

If you can grab it, Microsoft Office 2004. To me, that's the last good release of Office. My choices, in descending order are:

1. Microsoft Office 2004
3. Jer's Novel Writer
2. AppleWorks 6 Yes I said AppleWorks.
4. iWork 08 (I think 09 required Intel, but I could be wrong)
5. LibreOffice

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you can grab it, Microsoft Office 2004. To me, that's the last good release of Office. My choices, in descending order are:

1. Microsoft Office 2004
3. Jer's Novel Writer
2. AppleWorks 6 Yes I said AppleWorks.
4. iWork 08 (I think 09 required Intel, but I could be wrong)
5. LibreOffice

Microsoft Office 2008 was the final PPC version but 2004 is more affordable. If using 2004 you are going to want this download here. It allows for newer files to be opened.

iWork 09 does not require Intel, however later versions that were distributed on the App Store were the same programs but stripped of PPC code and compiled to be standalone apps.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Microsoft Office 2008 was the final PPC version but 2004 is more affordable. If using 2004 you are going to want this download here. It allows for newer files to be opened.

iWork 09 does not require Intel, however later versions that were distributed on the App Store were the same programs but stripped of PPC code and compiled to be standalone apps.

Thanks for the info on iWork 09. I wasn't quite sure, but I knew 08 was PowerPC.

Office 20080 might be the last one to run on PowerPC, but 2004 feels a lot better to me. Plus, I can't bear to part with Scribbles the cat.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for the info on iWork 09. I wasn't quite sure, but I knew 08 was PowerPC.

Office 20080 might be the last one to run on PowerPC, but 2004 feels a lot better to me. Plus, I can't bear to part with Scribbles the cat.

Then again, who could. For some reason 2004 runs much better on lesser hardware. But in all honesty, I really do like 2011 on my Intel.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Then again, who could. For some reason 2004 runs much better on lesser hardware. But in all honesty, I really do like 2011 on my Intel.

I run 2008 on my mini running 10.9. It works just fine for me, so I'm not going to go to 2011 until I absolutely need to.

All of my PowerPC's run Office 2004, though.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I run 2008 on my mini running 10.9. It works just fine for me, so I'm not going to go to 2011 until I absolutely need to.

All of my PowerPC's run Office 2004, though.

The gap between 2004 and 2008 is huge as the best 2004 can do is convert newer files with the help of additional software. Most Office 08 files will open perfectly in 2011 and vice versa.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL! I run Office 2008 on all my PowerPC Macs and the PowerPC Macs at work. All on Leopard. Runs just fine.

Office 2011 on the Intel MP at work. I actually prefer it, but it won't run on PowerPC Macs.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
LOL! I run Office 2008 on all my PowerPC Macs and the PowerPC Macs at work. All on Leopard. Runs just fine.

Office 2011 on the Intel MP at work. I actually prefer it, but it won't run on PowerPC Macs.

One thing that would be neat is to build a wrapper like interface for Office Online for PPCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.